• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NTSB: Sleep aids should be OK in fighting pilot fatigue

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So we have to watch MSNBC like you to get the truth? You're an idiot.

Ahh the old Fox News Glen Beck use an insult when you don't have a rational argument ploy! Well played son.
For the record, I never said anything about MSNBC, you did. I think the whole cable news genre is a bit of a joke on our Country. The far left can be just as twisted. The difference of course, is that the Glen Beck disciples tend to be more into ignorance based name calling to try and make their point.

Last edited:
I think the whole cable news genre is a bit of a joke on our Country.

You aren't kidding. At night, after the kiddies are in bed, I'll flick back and forth between MSNBC and Fox. Back and forth . . . . It's like watching someone with bipolar disorder . . . both sides are ridiculous. The truth is. . . . somewhere between channel 42 and 32, apparently, but I haven't found it yet.

+1
Keep it within the pounding abilities of your joints- exercise is the fountain of youth-
Well said

Now now, there you guys go again, even twisted this into "SWA is wonderful everyone else sucks"! (not bashing just ribbing you).

No question red eye flying can be tough and isn't exactly the best thing you can do for your health. Although I have seen SWA guys who hit the bar instead of the workout room after flying. A red eye combined with healthy eating and exercise is no were near as damaging as 6 beers, chicken wings for dinner and no workout.

International flying is a great way to expand one's horizons. People who have flown all over the world always seem to have a much wider perspective on things than , say, someone that has never left the Country and only watches Fox news.

I like this dan roman guy- another +1 on the cable news side-
I really don't need my news to interpret the "facts" and events of the day. But then again I've always been encouraged to think independently- something that used to be an American trademark.

"read not the Times, read the eternities"

"Capt. Clark Keefer had only about five hours' sleep before the flight after attending a card game with other employees of the charter firm. Because he slept as much as 15 hours a day, investigators believe he also may have suffered from an unspecified sleep disorder."

????
Hate to say it, but it sounds like this guy was an accident waiting to happen. My sincere apologies to anyone who knew, respected, and/or loved these crewmembers.

My opinion (always worth it's "FREE" pricetag): Drugs aren't the answer. New regs aren't the answer. Crewmembers who take reponsibility for themselves ARE the answer.

We get paid to make safety decisions. If something ain't right, whether it's an airplane issue, weather, airport, or even our own physical being, it's our JOB to say "This ain't gonna' work", even if it falls within the regs. Anyone who flies a trip and says afterward "I was fatigued and that wasn't safe" should be FIRED for knowingly doing something that was unsafe...

Rant off.

New regs are a much needed answer at many outfits ... And if you don't think so.... I think you've never worked at the edge of the regs for years, or suffer from nostalgic amnesia.

FAA approves sleep aide for Pilots?

My neighbor says he saw something on the TV about the FAA approving some kind of medication to help Pilots gain restful sleep. Anybody know anything about this? If bogus, what "tricks" do you use to be sharp. With our crazy schedules I'm sure we ALL feel the pain of a disruptive sleep pattern. BTW, let's try to be real with your ideas and techniques. Thanx

Melatonin has always been approved, hasnt it? Although, by the letter of the law if you take it with any regularity; you should report it on your next medical...

Ambien is approved however you have to wait 24 hours after taking it to fly. Tylenol or Advil PM you actually have to wait 48 hours to fly.

Melatonin has never been specifically approved(as far as I know), but it has never been on the mythical dis-approved list either.

My AME(your mileage may vary) has said he has no problem with Melatonin as long as you test it out on your days off to see what, if any, effects it has on you.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back