• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NTSB: Sleep aids should be OK in fighting pilot fatigue

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AirTran had a Capt who locked himself out of his hotel room while completely naked . . . . just one part of the Tribal knowledge relayed to us during Indoc.

Memory loss and inhibition are common side effects. People literally black out within titration.

AirTran had a Capt who locked himself out of his hotel room while completely naked . . . . just one part of the Tribal knowledge relayed to us during Indoc.

So you had to knock on one of your male FA's door and crash with him for the night, huh? How convenient. I bet all your male FAs at Guadaloupe Holdings Airways know your tricks by now.

Scary. I think Rohypnol is in the same drug family as Ambien, but don't quote me on that,,,

Last edited:
Or they could get scientific with their approach -
Sleep consistency is a big deal- one of the many reasons Ty will love SW

A previous airline came within a PR lawyer of getting approved power naps, complete with a procedure to set alarms, and check in w/ the FMS - but the public wouldn't like it if it got out, so they continue on with the illusion that they schedule in a way that their pilots wouldnt benefit incredibly by naps.

Now now, there you guys go again, even twisted this into "SWA is wonderful everyone else sucks"! (not bashing just ribbing you).

No question red eye flying can be tough and isn't exactly the best thing you can do for your health. Although I have seen SWA guys who hit the bar instead of the workout room after flying. A red eye combined with healthy eating and exercise is no were near as damaging as 6 beers, chicken wings for dinner and no workout.

International flying is a great way to expand one's horizons. People who have flown all over the world always seem to have a much wider perspective on things than , say, someone that has never left the Country and only watches Fox news.

Last edited:
Agreed, a good workout regimen will restore a full nights sleep. I work half way around the world and have to deal constantly with working on the back side of my clock and I don't have any problem sleeping and I adjust fairly quickly to a new time zone. It boils down to going more times to the gym that you go to the bar and don't stuff yourself with empty calories. popping a drug to do something your body will do naturally if given the right nutrients and conditioning is not the answer

Agreed, a good workout regimen will restore a full nights sleep. I work half way around the world and have to deal constantly with working on the back side of my clock and I don't have any problem sleeping and I adjust fairly quickly to a new time zone. It boils down to going more times to the gym that you go to the bar and don't stuff yourself with empty calories. popping a drug to do something your body will do naturally if given the right nutrients and conditioning is not the answer

Exactly. Your body has the ability to provide these services given the proper psychological and physical management. Pills alter and manipulate your chemistry; in essense, rerouting many of your hormones and neurotransmitters. This has the effect of supressing natural secretion and regulation. Eventually, ones body fights to achieve its homeostasis and a higher dose is required. The reason some medications produce such harsh withdrawals has to do with the compensation the body must now undergo. Its akin to pulling the rug out from underneath your body.

There was recent study which actually indicated that benzodiazepines (valium, xanax, etc.) were a poor choice for those suffering from PTSD. Results indicate that it actually takes longer for individuals to recover from it with this medication, than without.

Proper diet and exercise? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: You realize you're talking mostly to Americans here, right?

(I agree with you though)

International flying is a great way to expand one's horizons. People who have flown all over the world always seem to have a much wider perspective on things than , say, someone that has never left the Country and only watches Fox news.

Dude.

I dealt with 10-time-zone changes with Melatonin and Ambien CR (prescribed by my AME). 6.25mg for ORD-FRA and 12.5mg for ORD-MOW. Use as needed the first week to get decent sleep. 5mg melatonin each night for the first four nights to reset my circadian sleep schedule. Repeat on return to Earth.

Ambien affects people in different ways. Reports of hangover and sleep walking are legit, depending on the user. I was fortunate that it worked exactly as advertised with me, though I wouldn't use it if I was flying within 18 hours of taking it, generally.

I don't know how it would be effectively used on a 135 schedule with 10 hour overnights, though the lower dosage could probably be used by folks that have an affinity for it. It works better than Laphroaig for me, though YMMV.

All this chemical advice is tempered with the liberal use of exercise when you wake up, though.

Last edited:
Now now, there you guys go again, even twisted this into "SWA is wonderful everyone else sucks"! (not bashing just ribbing you).

No question red eye flying can be tough and isn't exactly the best thing you can do for your health. Although I have seen SWA guys who hit the bar instead of the workout room after flying. A red eye combined with healthy eating and exercise is no were near as damaging as 6 beers, chicken wings for dinner and no workout.

So we have to watch MSNBC like you to get the truth? You're an idiot.

It works better than Laphroaig for me, though YMMV.

You must have been using the plain ol' 10 year version . . . If you step up to the Cask-strength (105 proof) it might work better. ;)

I loves me some Aardbeg, too . . . and Lagavulin. Anything from Islay is hokay with me.

TW

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back