NTSB: Sleep aids should be OK in fighting pilot fatigue

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DieselDragRacer

WASHINGTON — Airline pilots should be allowed to take carefully monitored sleep medication to help them get a good night's rest before a flight, federal accident investigators said for the first time Tuesday.

The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), acting in the case of a fatal charter jet crash in Minnesota, called for broad improvements in rules governing how airline pilots combat fatigue.
Many of the issues identified in the crash — failure of pilots to get a good night's sleep, undiagnosed sleep disorders and unauthorized use of sleep medications — apply equally to airline pilots, NTSB Chairwoman Debbie Hersman says.

"We need to embrace this issue," she says.

The Federal Aviation Administration, which regulates airlines, has proposed restricting pilot schedules to reduce fatigue, a move applauded by the NTSB. The proposal, however, would have had no effect on the pilots in the July 31, 2008, crash, says NTSB board member Mark Rosekind, a fatigue researcher before joining the board.

The NTSB concluded that both pilots on an East Coast Jets charter flight from Atlantic City to Owatonna, Minn., were lacking sleep. Their jet roared off the runway after a botched landing, killing all eight aboard.

Investigators found small amounts of Ambien, a sleep medication, in co-pilot Daniel D'Ambrosio's system. His fiancée told investigators he often had difficulty sleeping before flying.

Ambien use within 24 hours of a flight is prohibited by the FAA, but investigators concluded it did not contribute to the accident. The drug leaves the system relatively quickly and could help pilots get the sleep they need while working odd hours, says Malcolm Brenner, the NTSB's senior human performance investigator.

The safety board said pilots diagnosed with insomnia should be able to use sleep medication under careful supervision from a doctor. It also endorsed better education on sleep issues, which the FAA also supports.
D'Ambrosio had never sought medical attention for his sleeping difficulties, and the Ambien was prescribed to his fiancée.

Capt. Clark Keefer had only about five hours' sleep before the flight after attending a card game with other employees of the charter firm. Because he slept as much as 15 hours a day, investigators believe he also may have suffered from an unspecified sleep disorder.

The Aerospace Medical Association and the military endorse the use of sleep medication by pilots.

Spokesman Les Dorr says the FAA will study the NTSB's recommendations on sleep medication. It hasn't allowed such drugs for fear that they could cause lingering drowsiness or other side effects, Dorr says.

A paid shill from the Airline Transport Association, reached at the Palm Springs Echo Canyon Golf Resort, had this to say:

"The ATA congratulates the FAA and NTSB on reaching this positive conclusion; drugging pilots is far more effective from a cost standpoint than creating schedules that might actually allow them to get the sleep that they need in order to function effectively. Looking forward, we plan to reduce the number of tired or drugged pilots by fifty percent, once the FAA approves our plan for single-pilot airline operations".

Last edited:
If they ok methamphetamines maybe they can increase the duty day to 18 hours?

Or they could get scientific with their approach -
Sleep consistency is a big deal- one of the many reasons Ty will love SW

A previous airline came within a PR lawyer of getting approved power naps, complete with a procedure to set alarms, and check in w/ the FMS - but the public wouldn't like it if it got out, so they continue on with the illusion that they schedule in a way that their pilots wouldnt benefit incredibly by naps.

Oh- and ambien's kind of ********************ed up- I'd be afraid I'd sleep walk naked through the lobby-

Sleep-aids do not work for me. They put me out quick, but then I wake 2-3 hrs later, wide awake. Then 2 hrs later I'm dead asleep again. Alarm goes off and I feel like my body is dead...groggy for hrs. This happened the 3 times I've tried, and won't do it again.

SWA/CA idea works a helluva lot better, IMHO!! lol

Pharmacological sleep aids tamper with your REM cycles and you dont receive a truely restorative sleep. You're left foggy though, if you like that feeling before an early show.

Oh- and ambien's kind of ********************ed up- I'd be afraid I'd sleep walk naked through the lobby-

AirTran had a Capt who locked himself out of his hotel room while completely naked . . . . just one part of the Tribal knowledge relayed to us during Indoc.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back