• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NTSB on sleeping Mesa pilots incident, pt 1

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Eggs, meat, some carbos like bread. Don't skimp. That extra biscuit or slice of bacon will NOT kill you.

Nu

Where do you get this at 4am? Do you bring a skillet/griddle, pancake mix, eggs and bacon with you?

Heyas,

Seeing what crap people eat for breakfast, if at all, it doesn't surprise me that people have a hard time operating.

You just (hopefully) slept 6-7 hours, add to that a couple of hours before hand, plus an hour and a bit to get ready and get to work, and you've just fasted for 12+ hours. Your blood sugar is at it's lowest ebb. When your mom told you it was the most important meal of the day, she wasn't kidding.

People, you HAVE to eat in the morning! And not crap like a danish or all carbs like a cold bowl of cereal. You need a balanced meal of protein AND carbs.

Eggs, meat, some carbos like bread. Don't skimp. That extra biscuit or slice of bacon will NOT kill you.

Nu

With a 430am hotel van, it is unusual to be in a hotel with a restaurant open that time of day. More likely than not, the food establishments in the airport aren't even open yet, if you're in an airport big enough to have them. I guess these guys were in their homes, but most pilots are not during a multi-day trip. Food on planes went away a long time ago. Are there even any airlines left that actually cater food for the crew? American or Delta maybe. I think one still has a contract that if a first class meal is served on the flight, then they will catered for the pilots to have one, too. Below legacy though, I'm not sure there is even that.

so you want to ban early flight ops? give me a break they had rest of 13 hours min. this just makes all pilots look bad

What? You wake-up at 3am for a 4am report.... Fly 8 legs and finish 12-14hrs later!!!!

Are you kidding, that is hard F'in work!

You can have 13 hrs of duty free time, but if the company is going from AM to PM to AM it can be tuff on your sleeping patterns.

For a 3am wake-up then you need to be sleeping by 7pm. Not making accuses, but for you to think that doesn't make for a hard day is just silly.

FYI I bring Clif-Bars with me at all times, and lots of bottled water. They taste the best of all the nutritional bars, and pack like 250 calories.

If no restaurant is expected for a meal (this could be breakfast, or lunch, or even dinner), I will eat half of one like one hour before my normal meal time, drink lots of water, then maybe 30 minutes past my meal time, eat the other half, along with lots of water.

Breakfast is THE most important meal of the day. If you go to sleep at 11 PM, and don't eat breakfast, then eat lunch, you basically fasted for 12 hours. Not good.

I also recommend an apple or even a handful of pretzels at bedtime to keep the blood sugar up.

fly safe, this could happen to any of us.

The captain said that he snored loudly at night, and that he had raised the issue with his personal physician in December 2007. He stated that his physician had told him to lose weight, eat less salt, and relax.

My wife told me that this could be prevented by wearing a jockstrap.

Evidently, female research shows that men snore when their balls cover their a$shole and vapor lock ensues.

Latest resources

Back