• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NTSB on sleeping Mesa pilots incident, pt 1

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Years ago, while sitting at the gate in SFO, F. Lee Bailey came to the cockpit and talked for awhile. He and I were both former Marines. As he was leaving the cockpit I said to him "Hey Lee...give me some free legal advice". He came back in and said "I`ll give you the best advice that I could give anyone and I`m not gonna charge you a dime for it.....If you are ever in trouble...KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!!!". I think this crew could have used that bit of advice.

If you are ever in trouble...KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!!!". I think this crew could have used that bit of advice.

People complain, but do nothing. Maybe he shouldn't be in in trouble. If Mesa or the FAA had better policies, maybe this wouldn't happen.

People complain, but do nothing. Maybe he shouldn't be in in trouble. If Mesa or the FAA had better policies, maybe this wouldn't happen.

Better policies won't result from this guy hanging himself by admitting things like this. He'll only harm himself.

I flew interisland at Island Air and also my probationary year at Aloha (including cargo flying at night - 8 legs all night)... up to 10 legs per day at both places.

Hawaiian Airlines pilots have also been operating very similar schedules as well for decades.

These guys f**ked up... plain and simple.

What I am curious about is that the FO has a G-1159 type rating. Where'd he get it and why is he at Mesa with that type?

Heyas,

Seeing what crap people eat for breakfast, if at all, it doesn't surprise me that people have a hard time operating.

You just (hopefully) slept 6-7 hours, add to that a couple of hours before hand, plus an hour and a bit to get ready and get to work, and you've just fasted for 12+ hours. Your blood sugar is at it's lowest ebb. When your mom told you it was the most important meal of the day, she wasn't kidding.

People, you HAVE to eat in the morning! And not crap like a danish or all carbs like a cold bowl of cereal. You need a balanced meal of protein AND carbs.

Eggs, meat, some carbos like bread. Don't skimp. That extra biscuit or slice of bacon will NOT kill you.

Nu

What I am curious about is that the FO has a G-1159 type rating. Where'd he get it and why is he at Mesa with that type?[/quote]

We had a guy in my new hire class at Mesa that was typed on the 747. His Mommy bought him the type as a birthday present. Poor guy couldn't pass the GOM test one week into training. Bruce kept sending him back to his seat saying you need at least 80% to pass...why don't you go back and look at questions 10, 14, 21, 22, and 25 again.

After failing the test, they fired him. Not to go out quietly...good old Emir pissed all over his Mesa Dorm room. I'm not sure how much curry you need to eat to make your piss smell like that! I still remember Larry Risley running up the hallway screaming some obscenity. It was the funniest thing I can remember.

If you fail at Mesa you fail at life.

25 cigarettes per day and high blood pressue. I'm sure the captain was a fine physical specimen.

Latest resources

Back