NTSB faults Flight Options check airman

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Aspiring to be said:
I will have to find it later, it is there. CAT I 1800RVR -2400RVR. It would be very rare to have more than 10 knots with RVR less than 2400.

Have you ever shot an approach in the midwest during a good blizzard? I'd be willing to bet it happens once a week. Good grief, in some places in Montanta, ten knots is calm during a blizzard.

West of the Mississippi, its easy to get CAT I in high winds, either torrential downpours or blowing snow...Montana and Wyoming are prime examples. Billings, MT for example, is a prime fog machine, and Cheyenne doesn't get winds below about 15 kts, just about ever...I'd have to second SheGaveMe on this one...

I have shot more approaches than I can count. My first CAT II approach was around 1968 or 69. I have shot many approaches in every area of the country and most of the world. In my almost 27000 hours of flight I have seen maybe, maybe two times where I could not shot a CAT I due to x-wind of more than 10 knots. I have never seen a CAT II or III approach that I could not shot because of a 10 knot x-wind. I have never shot a CAT III that had 10 knots of head wind. I have only shot a couple of CAT II’s that had a head wind stronger than 10 knots. I have never seen a CAT I, CAT II or CAT III weather that was due to fog that had 10 knots of more of wind as ACE has. Maybe I have just lead a charmed life.

ACE, I do hope you do not land in torrential downpours that causes the weather to be CAT I. If you do I hope you are flying solo. Very few if any runways can have the water run off fast enough to not have a very serious problem with standing water under such conditions. No landing is worth exposing your passengers to such dangers. I do have a lot of experience flying in monsoon weather.

I have looked for the x-wind limits of 10 knots for CAT I and below and can not find them. I know for sure that 10 knots was the limit at one time and not just my company. Maybe it has been changed since I retired. I know now that some airplanes can auto land with 25 knots of x-wind, why anyone would do such a think is beyond me, but!

I still believe that 99.9% of the time you have CAT I weather or below you do not have 10 knots of x-wind. You might have head winds stronger than 10 knots but not x-winds. I disagree with ACE that it is not easy to get CAT I or below weather with even head winds stronger than 10 knots. Blowing snow is about the only weather that would give you that type of wind and reduced visability and when that happens I bet that the wind is less than 10 knots of x-wind. Runways are built with the prevailing winds in mind.

I do believe the old saying that you have some old pilots, you have some bold pilots but you do not have old bold pilots.

May you all live to be at least my age.

Dude, just admit that your statement was wrong. There has never been a " FAR " limitation on crosswind landing limits for Cat I approaches. Certainly airlines and manufacturers have limits or limitations on crosswind during certain conditions, whether it be autoland or runway condition. If you flew for an airline that imposed a 10 knot crosswind limit for Cat I approaches I wonder how you ever landed at some airports.

The 777 autolands quite nicely with a 25 knot crosswind on a dry runway, however our limits are 20 knots for Standing water/Slush, and 15 knots for Ice ( no melting ). That would be reduced a further 5 knots if one reverser was inop.

Typhoonpilot

somebody said that careers came to an end here.....what happened to these guys, what did the FAA do to them?

do you get like...one strike and then youre out of the industry? thats scary

I think

....the PIC (Check Airman) is still with the company, but I think he is in the office. The SIC...dunno.

The PIC should have been canned. Landing at County in a Diamond with a contaminated runway is stupid...no matter how many times you've "done it before" or how much "time in type" you have.

Latest resources

Back