NPA shoots across AirTran (Leonards) Bow

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CatfishVT9 said:
Instead of attempting to build bridges, they just built walls.

Building bridges? You must be a new hire. That was already tried over and over again and look where it got us. Each time we bend over a little more, they shove it a little deeper. It's to the point where I'm starting to get a sore throat.

As for the insults you mentioned, as far as I'm concerned, they insulted the entire pilot group by bringing up concessions and giving themselves bonusus (not the 1st time they've done that, but you probably weren't here back then).

The company loves to tell the media about the great relationship they have with the pilot group, how we all hold hands and roast smores around the campfire. Mgt would never sling mud in the media, that would hurt the stock price, which would hurt their bonus check!!

With that said, I still think we have one of the best flying jobs around today, it's just lately my sore throat has been getting worse!!

Last edited:
Yeah I'm new (a year now), but I do know how to negotiate and get things done. 21 years in the military, and especially 2 years on an Admiral's staff teaches you about getting things done. I worked on the staff of the head of all Naval Aviation for the east coast (much bigger than this airline). So I was in on some high level discussions and planning sessions. And I had plenty of media training. If NPA has a media person, they should be fired.

The point is that if you can't maintain your professionalism, you can't be respected, regardless of what the other side does.

Tell me again how this article will help?

Yeah but this is not the military...

It seems like the airlines always have the same cycle; start-up, growth, greedy labour and management, stagnation, and death. It looks like Airtran has reached the greedy labour and management stage. JB is still in the growth stage, DAL (along with USAir and Untied) is in the death and near-death stage. Somehow, Contential and NWA keep plugging along.

Sleepy,

Your discontent for DL from your ASA days is so transparent. Enjoy Lowes now. Enjoy their great fleet and their great service at their huge hardware stores. I personally LOVE LOWES, I think they are the BEST at what they do, hands down. Enjoy that, and let the bad ASA/DL memories go. Let go man, let go. Wear your Lowes uniform with pride. Good for you. Are you happy Gene Hackman is the "voice of Lowes" on those commercials? I think it is cool, and he also was the voice of United for awhile.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Catfish,

With the resources you could bring to the Union, please call and get involved, I am sure they would love to have you. I for one very much love this company. I am also still thinking how this will all work to keep the company strong and increase the pilot QOL. But we all need to be proactive in keeping things running. The AJC did what they do best, left out the posative things that were said by the Union and printed the ugly. I am sure it is a lesson learned because we are not a greedy pilot group and we dont hate our leadership, we are just a family with some disfunction that all airlines have. And I feel that we are moving forward and not back, but that doesnt mean it is always easy.

Last edited:
CatfishVT9 said:
That article only serves to show how clueless the NPA Board really is. You can play hardball without resulting to public insults. That was just stupid.

Oh I'm sure I'll hear "but management---------"(fill in the blank). So tell me how personal attacks and the snide comments that are laced in their email updates are going to help in negotiations. Instead of attempting to build bridges, they just built walls.

Good job. Now go get some media training.

While I wouldn't have couched things quite as colorfully as you did, I tend to agree with you generally. MEC's should be very careful about what they say and how they say it in the press, especially in issues involving contract talks. Pulling out all the stops in the first public message of a new campaign is a dangerous tactic...the size of the salvo should match the size of the target.

In our contract negotiations process the past 3+ years at ExpressJet, we were always very careful with our message (especially given the audience) and we also were very careful never to turn it into a personal pissing match. That gets both sides no where fast and it was something. By the way, I say "we" because I had a fairly involved role in our negotiations process so that should help give some understanding as to where I am coming from with my comments in this post.

Of course...there is a time and a place for everything I suppose but given what I know about Airtran and Joe Leonard and its CBA, etc, I'm not quite sure that invoking memories of Frank Lorenzo was really all that apropos, but then again, I'm not an Airtran pilot so I'm probably not the best person to comment on that quote and say if it was warranted/justified or not. Just seems somewhat counterproductive to shoot that kind of a shot at the outset of a negotiations process in my opinion.

-Neal

enigma said:
Another thought, Lowecur would you please tout Spirit to any friends you have in the investment world?

Are you FCUKing kidding me. This guy is about 0 for 10. Tell you what, Ive got some stock in a bridge in Arizona to sell you. When California falls off into the Pacific you can write your own ticket.

BluDevAv8r said:
Just seems somewhat counterproductive to shoot that kind of a shot at the outset of a negotiations process in my opinion.

-Neal

Actually, the Company started this crap over 6 months ago . . . asking for a 12% reduction in pilot costs, which they apparently just pulled out of thin air, because when the Union asked where those numbers came from, they didn't even have an answer . . . . no data to support those numbers . . . . basically, they wanted to start "in the basement" and the Union wanted to start "in the attic" and hopefully, we will meet in the "living room".

Ty Webb said:
Actually, the Company started this crap over 6 months ago . . . asking for a 12% reduction in pilot costs, which they apparently just pulled out of thin air, because when the Union asked where those numbers came from, they didn't even have an answer . . . . no data to support those numbers . . . . basically, they wanted to start "in the basement" and the Union wanted to start "in the attic" and hopefully, we will meet in the "living room".

Yea, like I said, not being an AAI pilot makes it hard for me to accurately comment on your process. That said, the NPA could have made a statement not much different than what you said above referencing the query on where the 12% came from, etc. Then again, I am sure the AJC got everything just perfectly accurate when it picked out its sound bites from the phone interview. :D Good luck guys! I think you've got a great operation and a great contract.

-Neal

Latest resources

Back