• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NPA shoots across AirTran (Leonards) Bow

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Deleted rant about my present employer heading down the same road.

I'm going to get myself in trouble. :D

Last edited:
lowecur said:
:D :D :D

When are the pilots going to realize that Joe and Fornaro are only taking home the extra money made from the subsidizations from the new cities. Give them a break, they thought about it before the MEC did. Another model of a superiority complex between two groups. Just the beginning of the end of the honeymoon. Well Joe and Bob, thanks for the memories. It was nice while it lasted.

Lowecur you really have no clue. Its all about leading by example. Airtran's management has been pounding the paycut drum for months and then decide to give themselves bonuses. That is not too smart if you ask me. That reminds me of many airline's old school playbook. Airlines like UsAir and UAL come to mind. I don't think Southwest's management would have played the game that way. That is the point of the article. You may want to reread it.

Perhaps a smarter way to get your employees behind you and the company would be to give bonuses when getting bonuses. If you need paycuts then take a paycut too.

Future problems

You can easily replace "Airtran" with "Jetblue" real soon, I predict we'll be reading about JB's unhappy pilot group in the near future.

Sandman, How can you say that about JetBlue? Is there anything that they've done that point to those types of issues? I haven't read anything about that and several friends haven't alluded to any sour relations there. Without naming a source for your post or something to back it up it is nothing but rumor fodder.

LUV management has historically done a very good job fostering good labor relations and I suspect that JetBlue is much the same way. Yes, both companies have or could have some tenuous periods, but overall I think they have done a great job--something the management at AirTran, Alaska, et.al. should take note of.

Freight Dog said:
Skip... the scuba dive shop that I go diving with raised their boat dive rates accordingly as gas prices went up. People b*tch, pay, and most forget about it... NO OTHER INDUSTRY that I know of passes the increased cost of doing business to the employee - they pass it to the consumer.

It's not our job to subsidize people who can't afford to fly. Once we figure that out, that's when the race to the bottom will be over. But until then....

I think the point is they can't raise fares because they're in the middle of a battle to bring down one or two of the majors. They seem to think they can last longer than Delta or Airways or United. Why raise prices to help them out when fuel is a major factor in helping your cause.

sleepy said:
Honestly, you have it pretty good at AirTran. Why get greedy and screw it up? If you want to make management $$$$, then quit flying and go into management.

All we want is for mgt to abide by what they signed.

They totally disregard the contract, give themselves bonusus, and then come to us looking for yet another concession. GMAFB!!

We gave mgt concessions after 9/11 and they gave themselves bonusus!! We gave concessions to allow Ryan to fly trans-cons. We signed a LOA to allow the ATA deal to go through. All we got in return was more willful contract violations. I'm glad to see the new BOD (MEC) is taking a more heavy handed approach, expect to see more as talks wear on.

That article was long overdue!

Last edited:
That article only serves to show how clueless the NPA Board really is. You can play hardball without resulting to public insults. That was just stupid.

Oh I'm sure I'll hear "but management---------"(fill in the blank). So tell me how personal attacks and the snide comments that are laced in their email updates are going to help in negotiations. Instead of attempting to build bridges, they just built walls.

Good job. Now go get some media training.

Actually, the story was probably the result of the new media consultant hired recently.

While it's refreshing to hear the insight of newhires, the situation has some nuances that it takes some time to appreciate.

PM me if you want some background.

CatfishVT9 said:
So tell me how personal attacks and the snide comments that are laced in their email updates are going to help in negotiations.

Mr. James probably learned that from this very message board.

Ty,

I know that there are folks who are not happy with how the company is interpreting the contract. I don't dispute any of that. My point is that the way to get the company to see the NPA's point of view is to play hardball with the doors closed. You'll never win a debate by using personal attacks to make your point, and you won't be respected by the company if you make those attacks in the media. Especially since these negotiations have only been going on for a few months.

Latest resources

Back