• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Not so good news about flight 3407

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't think anyone at nasa thought there was a significant risk before the re-entry. There was no consideration for a rescue, or any other risk reduction measures.

I wasn't there but I highly suspect there were people (engineers) who voiced grave concerns only have them dismissed by managers who "knew better." Wouldn't have been the first time.

I wasn't there but I highly suspect there were people (engineers) who voiced grave concerns only have them dismissed by managers who "knew better." Wouldn't have been the first time.

That's pretty much what happened with Challenger.

For another Q400 to come in right afterwards is just all you need to well, jump real quick to conclusions.

Exactly.

The media would have you believe that, if icing were the cause, then every plane within 50 miles of Buffalo would have crashed simultaneously.

My understanding was that the low-level folks who analyzed the images of the debris impact were not too concerned about it, based on the fact that it had happened many times before. They just didn't know how lucky they had been in the past. They did request imaging additional inspections, which management refused.

The Challenger was a different story...an engineer told them EXACTLY what would happen in no uncertain terms, and he was forceful about. They still ignored him...

I had increased thrust, but not enough to compensate for the drag from the flight spoilers. It took the jumpseater behind us to say 'spoilers' (yes this was humbling for me) before I clued in. But in that momemt before I got SA back I had increased thrust some, and done nothing to the pitch attitude.
Didn't you get the spoiler caution msg, when the thrust levers were pushed up close to max?(I forget the TLA angle)
PBR

Didn't you get the spoiler caution msg, when the thrust levers were pushed up close to max?(I forget the TLA angle)
PBR
I would suppose not because he said the J/S rider advised him. A good technique to use flight spoilers is to keep your hand on the handle until you stow them. That way you couldn't increase thrust until your hand is available for it.

The glideslope will shoot down from above just enough to trigger at GS capture and then it heads right back up just as quickly. If you're not on top of it, the airplane will pitch up quickly with resulting airspeed decay. Even disconnecting in a timely manner you can lose 15 knots in a matter of a couple seconds.

Fortunately the CRJ flight director reacts so slowly on an approach that this is rare. Half the time I can't figure out how the thing ever got certified at all.

Latest resources

Back