• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Not Paying Union Dues

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You do not have to join but you have to pay a fee. I think it is called an association fee or a negotiation fee. It is almost the same amount as the dues. It is for the services you use, ie contract negotiations done on your behalf whether you are a member or not. If you don't pay, eventually the union will garnish your paycheck. I am not sure whether they can have you terminated or not though. You will end up paying the fee and garnishment goes as a bad on your credit rating I believe. If you work for a union carrier, you are best off to cooperate and graduate.

I think you're IBT747, and pretty much every Teamster contract signed in the past few years has a union security clause, which means that yes, you can get fired for not paying union dues. I have no problem with that. It's like the one kid at your elementary school whose parents won't get him vaccinated "because everybody else is." May smallpox strike him down.

At a union airline, can you get fired if you do not want to pay your union dues but do want to work at that airline.

Has this ever happened?

Yes it has happened. Were you planning on not paying your dues?

Only spineless, backstabbing, punk*ss, b*tchs try to weasel their way out of paying their share for the very association that provides for them.

Yeah, what DoinTime said.

The fee a non-member pays is called "agency fee" and it's around 85% of full dues. A yearly audit is conducted to determine the exact amount. The union has the obligation to represent even non-members. And as written above, termination is indeed the penalty for non-payment but it's a long process that rarely comes to fruition.

Forget it! If you don't want to join , you'll still have to pay shop fees. If you refuse to sign for dues checkoff, the union can lagally garnish your wages and collect it, either way you'll pay. Pay a little over each paycheck or all at once and get no paycheck.

Plus, we'll key your car if you don't pay your dues!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back