Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

se1776

splash 8
I heard that there is a big decrease of pilot applying to the commuters.
Some companies hire 5 and at the end 1 or 2 shows up for ground school.
Is it that bad.

Nice grammar.

Grammar nowithstanding, this career has gone down the toilet. That kind of news isn't surprising. Working at a regional is like working in a sweat shop.

I definitely agree, you cant blame people for staying away from this industry. Just take a look at the trend on where everything is headed. Low pay, all the crap you have to deal with, medicals, checkrides, etc. It should be no surprise that less and less people are showing up. For example at my own airline we fly an 86 seat jet that is defined as a "regional", but take a look at the pay of this airplane 15 years ago (F100). Its basically night and day, the F100 at american used to have the same amount of seats for more then double the pay. People who work so hard to get in this industry realize they can put that hard work else where and make more money with more return.

se1776 said:
I heard that there is a big decrease of pilot applying to the commuters.
Some companies hire 5 and at the end 1 or 2 shows up for ground school.
Is it that bad.

WHAT?

Gee, I wonder why? Maybe its the great pay and schedule, or the increase in stature and respect you get from the public. Lets not forget the incredible room for quick advancement. I cant see why people arent lined up for this.

My experience:
1. Hired by regional
2. Flew the E 145
3. Quit immediately after IOE
4. Tried again with another regional 6 months later
5. Flew the CRJ 2 & 7
6. Quit again and gave up
I thought it might be different at the second airline but it was not. I felt bad for wasting the two airlines training expense at first...but then I remembered why I quit both of them. The abuse by scheduling (not their fault) along with the pi55 poor pay was just a complete exercize in futility. It is a shame that the industry has gone down the crapper. I suspect that Worthless is a big part of the problem. My .02

All part of the growing pilot shortage which will lead to the pilot hiring boom of2007

pilotyip said:
All part of the growing pilot shortage which will lead to the pilot hiring boom of2007

Wow someone has actually given a timeline. May we ask where you got that from?

Anybody that starts their flight training post 9-11 is a damn fool. What was once going to be a lucrative career for thousands of us has disappeared over the past few years, and will probably never be that way again. We're all too happy to undercut the next guy and fly these planes for peanuts.

Just wait until you get married, have a family and try and make ends meet the way you intended to when those pathetic paychecks come rolling in.

Oh sure, you guys that just finished college and are sleeping on your futon in Mommy and Daddy's house, it's great. But when it comes time to move out on your own, you'll be in for a rude awakening.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back