• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Not enough pilots out there?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The average salary for a truck driver in the U.S., is $35,754. Of course, this does not mean that some truck drivers do not make more. When I have friends who are making $70-$80K+ just a couple years into being a regional captain, I fail to see where someone can make more money being a truck driver, in the long run. When I have family members, and friends working in various career fields, some with multiple degrees, and yet none earn over $80K, yet where I live the cost of living exceeds Houston, Dallas, Orlando, Atlanta, Memphis, Detroit, Minneapolis, Salt Lake City, Phoenix, etc., yet they all own homes, have families, cars, etc., and are doing just fine, I fail to see how someone can claim that isn't a livable salary

Also, why does it matter if a bus driver, or truck driver makes as much, or even more? Does no other career have the right to make more than a pilot? If some of you would be happier driving a bus, or driving a truck, and you would make so much more money, than go do it.

I agree pilots should make more than they do, for the knowledge, skills, and qualifications. But, putting that aside, a regional captain can still earn in the top 10% of income earners. $80,000 is included in the top 10% of income earners. This means a major captain earns better than the top 10%. From a salary standpoint, alone, all other things aside, the money is not bad at all, unless you are a regional FO.

I would rather make the same salary as a regional captain, then make the same money working 60+ hours a week at a desk as an accountant.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back