• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
T otal
E conomic
D isaster

T ilton's
E ventual
D emise

How about TED, the end of UniTED. Or Ted---doesn't include U N I. (you and I) No, I actually think Ted is a good idea against Frontier. The loads have been better than projected---supposedly---so maybe it will do well.......I did hear that Song is doing better than expected, and Salvaggio (the Pres of Song) just had a talk with Grinstein and showed him the numbers---and supposedly Grinstein will think more about it and maybe not dump it. The personal TVs are really popular---and I have been told that many many times by pax.....

Bye Bye--General Lee:rolleyes:

That is funny General, because not to long ago, some DL people were saying that Song was losing a lot of money and not meeting expectations.

Hey, but like you, I just live in the dark and get fed.....

(All in good fun ya know)

Dizel8,

This is an actual rumor---from Salvaggio's mouth himself at a Song recurrent (told by two other 767 pilots that were thrown into that particular brief with a bunch of Song stews---or "talent" as they are called at Song). Of course, we know that Salvaggio may be fighting for his job (since it is under review)--but apparently he told the group at recurrent that he talked with Grinstein and showed him the numbers (probably from Spring Break when everything was packed on every airline) and Grinstein supposedly stated that he was going to continue looking at it. It probably took awhile for you guys to become popular---and maybe Song just needs some more time.......That is my guess.....

Bye Bye----General Lee:rolleyes:

Skykid, I'll cling to any rumor that might get me back on property a couple of days sooner. :) Don't make me take off these rose colored glasses!
Seriously though, with 1500 recalls before I get the key code for the front gate of TK, I figure it's going to be another few years of slogging it out with the AF reserves. On the bright side, I figure that at my current rate of man days with the reserves, I'll be eligible for an active duty retirement in 2007. I'm hoping that things are looking a lot better in this industry by then.
Unfortunately, I think that the golden days of being an airline pilot are in the past. Work rules and wages will improve from today's scales, but they will be less than this last up cycle. We are in a long, slow decline in standard of living and work rules for pilots, and I don't see it improving anytime soon. The public thinks that our wages should be comparable to a city bus driver; at the current path, it won't be too long before the public gets its wish.

Thursday United Airlines reported a $112 million operating loss and a net loss of $259 million in February, including expenses from bankruptcy.

Last week The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times reported that United Airlines (UA) plans to push back its timetable for emerging from bankruptcy until late this summer at the earliest.

UA lost $2.8 billion in 2003, even after making deep budget cuts and negotiating labor concessions. To emerge from bankruptcy protection, the airline must secure federal loan guarantees, and the Air Transportation Stabilization Board (ATSB) is considering asking UA to trim its request for federally backed loans to $1.5 billion. The airline already has found lenders willing to provide $2 billion in exit financing if it gets the loan guarantee package from the ATSB. UA also is waiting on Congress, as legislation is pending that would ease its pension obligations over the next two years.

Latest resources

Back