• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Not all Regionals think crewrest is unimportant

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And that's the exact attitude as to why Mesa pilots have terrible working conditions and low pay. My response would be "OK fire me." Next stop, FAA and the media as to the reason for the firing. Go be a policeman and make more money while waiting on the next flying job and the ensuing lawsuit.

JO has Mesa pilots scared for their lives. Just the way he likes it. Grow a spine.

HAh your living in a dream world!!! I have seen them fire people who call in fatigued. Sure, go to the media maybe you'll get your 5 mins of fame on some rinky dink local news, but the truth is NOBODY CARES in the long run. We are finally out of the Bush years where unions were stripped of every legal ounce of power they had. Only WE as pilots can fight this as a UNIONIZED group and take what we deserve!!!!!

HAh your living in a dream world!!! I have seen them fire people who call in fatigued. Sure, go to the media maybe you'll get your 5 mins of fame on some rinky dink local news, but the truth is NOBODY CARES in the long run. We are finally out of the Bush years where unions were stripped of every legal ounce of power they had. Only WE as pilots can fight this as a UNIONIZED group and take what we deserve!!!!!
The media has given all regional pilots the big green light to call in fatigued for at least the next 48 hours. Even OJ wouldn't fire you for a legit fatigue call today. Everyone who has a duty day longer than 12 hours ( which is 95 percent) should call in fatigued the next day. This could shut the place down quicker than any errrr union sickout.

I am just floored at you guys. I shouldn't call in fatigued because I may get fired? So instead I am going to fly dogged tired and put the 50-100 people lives at risk.

Just leave a note to your family before you leave for your next trip explaining why you felt it was so important for you to put up with that BS to keep your job so when you never come home after that trip they will understand.

If you guys want to do CDOs that's fine. There is a place for those trips and some guys love them, but you must be prepared to stay up all night. That doesn't mean doing a 3 day regular trip prior and then doing a CDO. That's a fatigue call. Under NO circumstances sleeping in the airplane on an overnight is a good idea. If something happens that doesn't allow you to get rest then you MUST call in fatigued. If the flight cancels in the morning then oh well.

I repeat, sleeping in an airplane at a closed terminal is unsafe. Both fatigue wise and for your personal security. What kills me is that management got you guys to thinking this was such a great idea. If you don't stand up to that kind of craziness nothing will ever get any better.

Under NO circumstances sleeping in the airplane on an overnight is a good idea.

There are no absolutes. Landed in Albany one night at 2:00 AM. Took one look at the only hotel room they could get in the city (NY state bar exam was the next day and the city was sold out) and WISHED that I had stayed the night on the airplane. Of course, a G-IV with a running APU is nicer than a lot of hotel rooms but I digress......:rolleyes:

That's the problem. Mesa pilots don't have a spine.

Some Mesa pilots have spines. I called in fatigued once and went home. I have called in sick knowing that my flights would cancel because of it. I called in sick once and as I was passing my flight walking for my jump seat home a passenger yelled at me and said “You better run because they’re looking for a captain for this one.” and the terminal burst into laughter. I did too!

Our contract passed 400 to 418. So do the 400 no voters have spines. If maybe is the answer then can they at least be in a pool for consideration of spine-e-ness.

I agree with you about the weakness of our pilot group but from someone on the inside I think a lot of the fear is from the perception of our chapter of ALPA not being able to protect us. We have been unionized for a while now and look what we have to show for it. But trust me on this one; we are not all spineless.

Some Mesa pilots have spines. I called in fatigued once and went home. I have called in sick knowing that my flights would cancel because of it. I called in sick once and as I was passing my flight walking for my jump seat home a passenger yelled at me and said “You better run because they’re looking for a captain for this one.” and the terminal burst into laughter. I did too!

Our contract passed 400 to 418. So do the 400 no voters have spines. If maybe is the answer then can they at least be in a pool for consideration of spine-e-ness.

I agree with you about the weakness of our pilot group but from someone on the inside I think a lot of the fear is from the perception of our chapter of ALPA not being able to protect us. We have been unionized for a while now and look what we have to show for it. But trust me on this one; we are not all spineless.
Let me correct the record: The majority of Mesa pilots are spineless. There are a few who are not. Very rare though.

" I called in fatigued once. "

With 2500 hours you are way ahead of most of the people reading this forum.

Most people are too chicken-sh!t to do what is required of them by regulation (and common sense ) due to fear of retribution. ( Such as call in sick on a layover, or not fly when fatigued, etc. )

You have a responsibility, to yourself, your Family, the FAA, and the flying public/your passengers, to make the call if so necessary.

I never abused the F-Call...But, I damn sure used it as needed.

- Delays/14 hour day/minimum rest at a hotel with construction starting at 7am? 4 hours of sleep for the night and ready to start another 12 hour day?

NFW Jose'. Fatigued.

- 5 hours on the ground waiting to go due to WX. Duty day will now be 16 hrs. Oops, my 3 year old woke me up at 6am so now I will be shooting an approach, in an area of heavy thunderstorms, most likely to mins ( ala' forecast wx ) all at...You guessed it, 5am the following morning due to the delay/taxi-back/re-fuel. 23 hours without sleep, but ALL perfectly legal.

Adios Amigo. FU. Fatigued.

The above are only 2 examples.

Do the above scenarios sound familiar to anyone? ( Sure they do. )

And ya'll went flying.

Didn't you?

Mesa pilots are Mesa pilots. No different than any others.

90% of the pilots that I have met have no spine.

I know jags in this business who just keep doing this krap, taking the abuse, 12-15-20,000 hours down the road, and have never called in fatigued ( even once) when they REALLY SHOULD HAVE.

Same as it ever was. Same as it ever was....

Love,

YKW

P.S. - In case you are wondering. I had 2 airline jobs over a 21 year period. I was only questioned once about a fatigue/sick call. When upper management got a hold of that fact ( the previous CP was an idiot ) they were scared sh!tless and IMMEDIATELY went to my file and erased the record of me having been questioned about it.

I however, made it a point to let them know that I had kept my copy just so that they were clear.....DFWM.

Lesson: They will try and force exactly as much cock down your throat as you let them.

You hold the upper hand. If only you are smart enough to realize it.

Last edited:
Supposedly, they buy one hotel room (for the entire crew) and let them fight over who gets it.

Oh boy, I can see how this plays out too.

F/O: Capt, you were impressive last night with that ILS approach.

CAPT: Thanks man, you were really impressive in the shower this morning...you know, dong wise.

There are no absolutes. Landed in Albany one night at 2:00 AM. Took one look at the only hotel room they could get in the city (NY state bar exam was the next day and the city was sold out) and WISHED that I had stayed the night on the airplane. Of course, a G-IV with a running APU is nicer than a lot of hotel rooms but I digress......:rolleyes:

You bet it is, but still wouldn't do it. I have repositioned to other cities just for that very reason. That's the cost of doing business on short notice.

Latest resources

Back