Not all Regionals think crewrest is unimportant

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dan Roman

What about Mesa? Don't they allow their pilots to bring a board to sleep on in the airplane so they will be more comfortable? If they were so uncaring about crewrest they would make them sleep upright in the seats!.......

You are correct, sir...

I think it is very possible that the fine night's sleep one can come by on a nice board laid between the rows of seats will likely put tempurpedic right out of business as soon as more people discover its virtues.....

-Shhh, trade secret....

You know, if that actually is a policy at MESA (I'm still not sure if it's just a inside joke) I'd copy that page out of the FOM manual and send it to the media.......

If Alaska was pulling crap like that, I'd do it in a second......

No kidding-They did sleep on boards at continuous duty overnights-on the plane. I did see something about the policy being changed. Supposedly, they buy one hotel room (for the entire crew) and let them fight over who gets it.

There are so many problems with this thread I don't know where to start. Let me just say this I have NEVER and will NEVER sleep on board an airplane as part of any type of overnight, continuous duty or otherwise.

ANYONE engaging in this activity has to have a dent in their brain as it is entirely unsafe. Not just the fact that you are not getting proper rest, but for the women that is not a secure environment. Is the terminal even open? If not you should leave.

Too tired to fly in the morning? Call in fatigued. It's the company's problem.

Last edited:
What about Mesa? Don't they allow their pilots to bring a board to sleep on in the airplane so they will be more comfortable? If they were so uncaring about crewrest they would make them sleep upright in the seats!.......

This sounds suspiciously like a Browntothebone post.

There are so many problems with this thread I don't know where to start. Let me just say this I have NEVER and will NEVER sleep on board an airplane as part of any type of overnight, continuous duty or otherwise.

ANYONE engaging in this activity has to have a dent in their brain as it is entirely unsafe. Not just the fact that you are not getting proper rest, but for the women that is not a secure environment. Is the terminal even open? If not you should leave.

Too tired to fly in the morning? Call in fatigued. It's the company's problem.

Yeah-Until they FIRE YOU! Remember, this is a Mesa thread-they really do things like that!

Yeah-Until they FIRE YOU! Remember, this is a Mesa thread-they really do things like that!

And that's the exact attitude as to why Mesa pilots have terrible working conditions and low pay. My response would be "OK fire me." Next stop, FAA and the media as to the reason for the firing. Go be a policeman and make more money while waiting on the next flying job and the ensuing lawsuit.

JO has Mesa pilots scared for their lives. Just the way he likes it. Grow a spine.

And that's the exact attitude as to why Mesa pilots have terrible working conditions and low pay. My response would be "OK fire me." Next stop, FAA and the media as to the reason for the firing. Go be a policeman and make more money while waiting on the next flying job and the ensuing lawsuit.

JO has Mesa pilots scared for their lives. Just the way he likes it. Grow a spine.

That's the problem. Mesa pilots don't have a spine. That's why they work for that "joke" of an airline. Any pilot that would sleep in the aircraft has some serious mental problems. This is suppose to be a profession. Mesa pilots treat this job like a hobby. They don't care about the pay or work rules, they just want to fly a jet at any cost. Even if it means sleeping on a board in the isle of their aircraft on a CDO. God have mercy on their souls.

When I was at ASA with had CDO's (continuous duty overnights). They comprised the last flight out of ATL and the first flight back into ATL. The idea was you got your rest during the day and were fit for duty to fly all night and well into the morning if required. I hated them but it was better then reserve.
Before my base closed (DFW) and I finished, say, Monday morning I wouldn't duty back in until Thursday night. Almost felt like I had more time off then I did. Driving to work was always opposite traffic.
Now this whole drivel was to explain how I have spent the night on an airplane. Leaving ATL late picking our way around weather we arrived into IAH in the wee hours of the morning. I gave the crew the option go to the hotel and get about 50 minutes of "rest" or make beds on the airplane and run the APU and nap for a couple of hours. That's what we did.
I disliked backside of the clock but I always made sure I got my sleep in before show time. I know of several pilots that had day jobs and tried to get rest at the hotel- stupid.
Looking back over my career I can honestly say that for a regional pilot it wasn't too bad given the hours flown versus pay. Happily, "Naps" are in my rear view mirror.

Cheers- Rum

Latest resources

Back