• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Northwest pilots set conditions for a merger...Article

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Pay is the easiest benifit to restore. Work rules and bodies are the hardest and most time consuming. And NWA kept a good portion of the work rules. I made $191 an hour 4 years ago as a DC-9 CA. The Whale guys were about $250+. And thanks to all the NWA guys and the '98 Strike, UAL/DAL got the big rates they had, although for a short time. Better days ahead, pay wise.

Pay is the easiest benifit to restore. Work rules and bodies are the hardest and most time consuming. And NWA kept a good portion of the work rules. I made $191 an hour 4 years ago as a DC-9 CA. The Whale guys were about $250+. And thanks to all the NWA guys and the '98 Strike, UAL/DAL got the big rates they had, although for a short time. Better days ahead, pay wise.

Yea but at what cost????

Does everybody realize that the General Lee has averaged a little over 5 posts a day for the past 5 1/2 years....

That's the only factual or interesting post in this thread.

Nice work!

Question: Does retro pay include all the money you could have made through investments? The money that the company would have contributed to your 401k or profit sharing?

The airline will agree, the merger will be blessed and in short order management will cut high cost RJ service citing unprecedent fuel costs no longer make the gas guzzling RJ feasible.

I think what you meant was:

"Two Great Airlines, One Great Future...without RJs."

Sad and pathetic to see two mainline pilots who have already "made it" gleefully predicting pilots less fortunate them losing their jobs.

That's what's wrong with this industry. We fight for scraps and management picks our pockets while we're fighting.

Sad and pathetic to see two mainline pilots who have already "made it" gleefully predicting pilots less fortunate them losing their jobs.

That's what's wrong with this industry. We fight for scraps and management picks our pockets while we're fighting.

I don't think FDJ2 is gleeful in his post, he's giving an opinion on what he thinks will happen. There is a lot of agreement with his statements but in actuality who knows what will happen. I came up through the CFI, 135 then regional ranks and would hate to see anyone lose their job, but maybe this cyclical industry is changing back to where it should have been all along...Regional feed actually being what it's name implies, with appropriate aircraft on those routes.

Neither one of those posts was in any way "gleeful."

The sad-sack victim routine isn't working for you, my man.

And don't forget, hundreds/thousands of mainline pilots will be furloughed in almost any merger situation.

Neither one of those posts was in any way "gleeful."

The sad-sack victim routine isn't working for you, my man.

And don't forget, hundreds/thousands of mainline pilots will be furloughed in almost any merger situation.

Not true. If the route networks are truly complementary then "massive" furloughs are unlikely. It's also unlikely that the FEDs will have problems given that so few hubs actually overlap. If you reduce capacity on redundant routes (e.g., ATL-DTW), another airline (like Air Tran or SWA) will simply fill in the void and compete with the combined carrier. NWA and DAL primarily compete head-to-head on hub-connecting routes like ATL-DTW or MSP-CVG. If the merger actually gets the green light, there may not be the need for many mainline furloughs at the two companies (if at all). There just isn't much overlap between the two airlines. Hiring at the combined airline might not be as strong going forward depending upon how the combined airline would deploy the Diesel 9 crews as those aircraft leave the fleet...

However, the impact on regional feed is a little less clear because a combined carrier may not need 7 regional partners...

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back