• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Northwest Pilots Experiencing Code I and Code II

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
[OK, thanks for the info. Now that you mention it I seem to recall our Chief Pilot at COEX talking to the pilots about us adopting the NWA turbulence reporting program. This was back in the late 90's so I dont know if they actually ever did it./QUOTE] Dangerkitty, Its the wind shear numbers on the flight plan. They only indicate windshear, not severity of turbulence but it is a good indicator as to what you might expect.

"Captain is declaring a Code Brown."

Or, wouldn't you rather say- "Northwest 466 is having a Code 2"

I think the latter is more delicate, gets the idea across, and doesn't embarass any particular crew member.

swaforme said:
Northwest has a turbulence program that uses these codes to describe the severity of the turbulence. They also plot there own turbulence prediction charts.

Southwest purchases this info from NWA and we are now using it as well. We use the codes with the f/a's only.

The reason we buy this info from NWA. We hurt more f/a's than any other airline in turbulence. NWA hurts the least.

AT AWA we purchase the information from NWA as well. Funny thing is that during initial ground school they also told us that our airline hurts more FA's than any other carrier. Maybe that's a standard thing to tell pilots these days so we put down the paper and actually call the fa's once the bumps start. lol.

SWA is now using it also.

Last edited:
Also in use over the Pacific on HF with at least a handful of carriers to simplify radio transmissions. (JAL/ANA/JAZ/Air Japan, maybe Air Mike?)

Latest resources

Back