Northwest Flight Attendants Reject Second Tentative Agreement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FlyUnited said:
How can this possibly be legal? The company forced the 40% paycut on them but they aren't free to go for self help? That's not legal at all. That is forced servitude. The f/a's never agreed to the 40% cut but the company went and did it anyway. This makes no sense at all. The company should be forced to pay the f/a's the old pay until this is resolved.

This Bush administration is really a piece of work.

And the Bush Administration is responsible how??? I love it when people use the board to insert their own little political jabs "Bush Sucks!" "Clinton's an ass!" The issue is between the FAs and their crooked mgmnt team, not them and the Bush Administration. That's it, keep it simple. IF the FAs had the cajones, they would indirectly tell the judge to stick it by having a sick out. It ticks me off to see mgmnt crack the whip and all the employees retreat in fear. Go ahead and add the NWA FAs to the list along with all the Delta pansies

Regul8r said:
And the Bush Administration is responsible how??? I love it when people use the board to insert their own little political jabs "Bush Sucks!" "Clinton's an ass!" The issue is between the FAs and their crooked mgmnt team, not them and the Bush Administration. That's it, keep it simple. IF the FAs had the cajones, they would indirectly tell the judge to stick it by having a sick out. It ticks me off to see mgmnt crack the whip and all the employees retreat in fear. Go ahead and add the NWA FAs to the list along with all the Delta pansies

Some years back, the American Airlines pilots did just what you said and had a sick out after I think Clinton ordered them back to work. A federal judge imposed a huge fine on the pilots union as a result. (I think the fine was about 30 million!)

Yes, the FA's can quit if they don't like the imposed terms from the company, but in bankruptcy the company can do an 1113 and abrogate all work agreements with the employees. The bankruptcy laws need to be changed.

Thomas39 said:
Dear severely mental retarted person:

Where are you getting these numbers from? Just pulling them out of your A$$. Look again at the pay rates and compare apples to apples. NWA pay rates do not go out to 18+ years for 77-100 seats. Wonder why? NWA mainline flies much larger airplanes than Horizon, Comair and ASA. We will not (should not) have 18 year Captains flying 76+ seat equipment. quote]

Oooh, you called me a retard. Very intelligent argument.

You asked, I awnsered. As far as 18 year pilots being stuck as CA's being stuck on these airplanes, ask a US Airways pilot about that. 18 yrs makes you a very junior FO over there (forget CA). And since the EMB195 is clearly a DC9 replacement, do you mind stating the min, average, and max seniority of the current DC9 CA's at NW? And those rates you are quoting (as well as the ones I quoted) are for 70 SEAT airpanes at the regionals and 100+ SEATS on your crap mainline contract. And by your previous statements, us pathetic regional pilots have wrecked the industry with our lack of fortutude, so your rates should be so much higher as to be non-comparable.

And if you really want to talk about larger airplanes (That aparently all your 10yr+ pilots are captains on), why don't you compare the Frontier A318/319/320 rates to your A330 rate.

Please come back with some better thought out arguments, as this is getting boring.

Thanks,
Turbo

I'm sorry, I tried to just edit my post above, but for some reason could not.

Forget what I said. This discussion is going nowhere, and benefiting no one. You generally dance around my points, and it is clear that I'm not going to convince you or vice versa.

The NW contract (and other concessionary contracts) are reality, and there is no going back.

The bottom line is, pilots are not the enemy (scabs, the Mesa to Freedom, and TSA to GoJets guys excepted), management is.

While I am a ALPA supporter (and volunteer), the way the industry and contracts have evolved causes some serious problems for our profession (along with all the good things). Pilot pensions have become a beating stick for management to use against pilots. The seniority based system has also caused many or most pilots to fear nothing more than the end of their particular employer. And created a system where junior pilots take unreasonable poor compensation. All the above has allowed mgmt to chip away at perhaps the most important part of any contract- scope.

I understand why legacy pilots have voted the way they did. But I might suffer from that decision as much or more than they did. The main question I should be asking myself is why am I reading this message board and not working towards a new career. The awnser is that I have a lot invested in this career, and a part of me thinks I might still come out pretty well in it.

Lets just hope we all come out OK- we deserve it.

Turbo

Latest resources

Back