• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Northwest also files Chap. 11

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bankruptcy and labor laws are largely (but not completely) independent of each other. Workers can strike a bankrupt company.

Traderd said:
A question of curiosity only; I have no dog in any fight.

Do striking workers continue to picket a bankrupt corporation?

vc10 said:
Bankruptcy and labor laws are largely (but not completely) independent of each other. Workers can strike a bankrupt company.

Thx Vc10. I assumed they could, but I am curious if history shows that a BK changes anything during a strike. Other than liqiudation of course.

Actually,

IMHO, Bankruptcy seems to be a great tool (b4 the rule changes on 10/17). Look at UAL, they have been surviving under chp11 for quit a bit now. The airlines out of Chp11 need to worry (SWA,CAL,Jblu,F9,Airtran,FDX,UPS etc.) because they have unfair competition now and restructured labor,pension,loans etc.

The concessions and reforms are going to snowball quickly.

ccya

Traderd said:
A question of curiosity only; I have no dog in any fight.

Do striking workers continue to picket a bankrupt corporation?

AMFA will still picket, but since they do not have a contract with NWA, their relationship is severed with the corporation. IOW, AMFA is basically non-existent, now that CH 11 has been filed.

The Court will work with and recognize ALPA, IAM, PFAA, etc.......but not AMFA.

The scabs are not recognized either.

Should get interesting......................

320AV8R

General Lee said:
Crazy. Both at the same time? Merger.....
Bye Bye--General Lee

General-

I just listened to Steenland speak at a press conference on tv.

He said it was "purely coincidental" that both filed on the same day.

NWA had some equipment and pension payments coming due in a day or so, that NWA didn't want to make; to preserve liquidity.

About mergers, he said there were too many seats chasing too few pax. One way to correct that, would be through consolidation, but he didn't see anything happening soon.

Remember: he's a lawyer, who has worked for Lorenzo, etc..... He only tells true lies.

320AV8R

320AV8R said:
General-

I just listened to Steenland speak at a press conference on tv.

He said it was "purely coincidental" that both filed on the same day.

NWA had some equipment and pension payments coming due in a day or so, that NWA didn't want to make; to preserve liquidity.

About mergers, he said there were too many seats chasing too few pax. One way to correct that, would be through consolidation, but he didn't see anything happening soon.

Remember: he's a lawyer, who has worked for Lorenzo, etc..... He only tells true lies.

320AV8R

Sure it was speculation, but Grinstein said all of them are looking for dancing partners. NW/CAL/UA/DL. A management guy I talked to in ATL today was speculating and he said he could see NW/CAL/DL as one, or UA/CAL and NW/DL. Even the third grade paper the USAToday stated today that the gov't will have to change it's stance on mergers and allow more, or many job losses will result. Everyone likes to say "oh, the LCCs will absorb it"----not when passenger numbers are climbing like crazy. Consolidation will happen---they are all looking at it right now. (Thanks to the USAir/AWA deal)

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back