noobie captains off the street

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Just Peachy

I've just completed the training for an off the street captain in the Ultra with NetJets. I would like to say to others, dont take the offer lightly from the company if they give you a chance at the captains slot. The FO slot is MUCH easier and most, if not all the FO's are getting captains pay anyway.

YOU will be expected to know and perform the same as an already flying line FO upgrading to Captain, and has the advantage of knowing the company calls and proceeures. You will go to Flt Safety first of course, but the emphasis there is getting you the type, not company proceedures. The ck ride consists pretty much of the same things as Flt Safety, Steep turns, all stalls, V1 cut, two non-precision (one ADF, and one GPS) and 3 precision approaches with and without two engines, and of course the old holding pattern. The instructors and check airman will not coddle you. They are quote, "highly qualifyed, but not motivated" in other words you will have to brief them on callouts and EXACTLY what you want on each manover and approach. This quote is from the instructors and examiners themselves !! This situation is to get you to perform on the level of captainsy that they are looking for..... I presume.

About 10 % (or so) are washing out of the flt training phase. There is no FO slot to fall back on if you screw up. They will give you (officially) an additonal check ride if you bust the first one. I have been told unoffically, that if you have a good attitude, you can get more. They schedule you for 6 days of training during this phase..... two days of performance review, and 3 days of (2 hours each) training flights and the check ride. Dont plan on this time frame!! Planes break a lot, and they are fanatics about safety , weather comes in ( no training after offical sunset and no single engine work if anti ice is required) and instructors arent available for various reasons, mostly, too many students.

I spent 17 days getting thru, and it looks about average for our group. Some were lucky and finished within a week, its kinda the luck of the draw. You will have to pay your own room and board, and local transportation while in this phase, but the company will pay for your flight up and back to CMH or pay mileage if you choose to drive which will save you from renting a car while there. Shareing cars has limited success as you wind up getting on different schedules as training progress...........

If your hired as a Captain off the street, the Captains pay will not start untill you pass that check ride and for me that occured about 2.5 months after my hire date.

I dont know how many more slots will be offered as off the street captains, but have been told unoffically, they have done about 150 so far. It seems very hard for the company to keep captains in the Ultra as its the work horse of the fleet and pilots leave it when they can.........

Just be aware the intense training is very demanding for an off the street Captain and you will need a good solid background to succeed.

:p

"3 precision approaches with and without two engines,"

Man, now that is what I call a tough ride, without both engines. It must have been hard to stay on the glide path. HAHA just kidding and I know I took that out of context, but I could'nt resist. Congrats on getting through it though. Why doesnt EJA get sims of its own? Then weather and saftey would not be an issue.

The airplane check is a company requirement. It 's required in addition to type rating and 135.297 rides in the sim.

noobie Captains...

I am now in the IOE phase of this training and I have to say it is MUCH more enjoyable in as much as my IOE guy is VERY very good, and of course no pressure of a nasty check ride at the end. HOWEVER, the pace is just as fast....

By the way, I do have a glider rating for the twin engine out ILS.........
LOL :D

My hat off to you Speedo. Excellent description of all you have had to go through. Congratilations and I hope that you are rewarded for all that hard work and money spent with at least 100K a year. If that the case you deserve every single penny.

I have never been interested by fractionals. Just visiting and impressed by Speedo's description. Is it true that you guys at fractionals make a 100G/year?

countbat said:
I have never been interested by fractionals. Just visiting and impressed by Speedo's description. Is it true that you guys at fractionals make a 100G/year?

Hardly.

There might be a few guys at NetJets that have been there from the beginning and are on the BBJ or one of their other largest jets that make that. But the "noobie captain off the street" in the Ultra is making something less than half that "100g/yr".

I think CitationShares pays it's "noobie captains" better than the other fractionals, and it's only around the mid 60s.

Thank you Trainerjet. If that is the case I strongly prefer to be just a visitor. I don't like fast food restaurants or Blockbusters and for sure I don't like their aviation counterparts.

Latest resources

Back