• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Non B1tchers Only Please!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks to all of you who have contributed your enjoyable comments and stories. Those of you who have "been around a while" and feel the need to burst everyone's bubble, so to speak, should really think hard about your motives. After someone tells you a happy story about their job and how much they enjoy it, what could compel you to try to tell them that they are wrong and they should not be enjoying things quite so much. No one is trying to force their happy feelings on you, they are just happy and kindly sharing their happy thoughts instead of their cynical views of life in the airline industry. I flew overnight checks for two years, which is more than most of you regional pilots who have been flying for a regional probably ever did. I can tell you that flying overnight checks is neither glamorous nor good for your morale or lifestyle. It is a far cry from the relatively easy life of a regional pilot. Even after two years of flying checks, I still had a positive view of my job as a pilot and wasn't nearly as jaded as some of you here. So just because you are flying for a regional, and some of us have just started with a regional, doesn't necessarily make you more experienced than the rest of us. In fact, I'd argue that anyone who flew checks or some other such job between instructing and the regionals has a more worldly view of this profession than people who went straight from instructing to the right seat at a regional. We've been around and we're still happy and plan on remaining that way. It's all about perspective and if you're not happy in your job, maybe you should take a step back and reevaluate how you look at your job. I don't think you need to leave the job, but it may help if you look for some other way to get satisfaction from it. After all, life is what your given. It's then up to you to make the most of it. Enjoy life, it's a gift! Some of you check haulers should recognize that!

DirkkDiggler said:
I flew overnight checks for two years, which is more than most of you regional pilots who have been flying for a regional probably ever did.

Is someone looking for a can opener? : )

The guys here have paid their dues. I agree with you on alot of this because I have previously worked in another field. Since I have switched though, nothing has changed. I still love flying (even though I am currently layed off).

But still, you are opening a can of worms here. MANY of these guys have paid their dues, I dont think you should bring that into question.

Just FWIW...

This isn't "flying" by my definition. This is "systems managing".

Then you are doing it wrong. Ralph Butcher, a recently retired UAL pilot, just wrote an article on how so many people have become airplane drivers rather than airplane pilots.
Turn off the AFCS and fly the thing. Then maybe you'll feel like a pilot again.

The EMB-145 kicks a$$.

Just started at TSA? The 41 would have been more fun....although I wouldn't say its a$$ kicking. Enjoy it!

grog_sit_reserv said:
My personal opinion, its a great job once we close the door and get to be pilots. everything in between, including a lot on this board.... BLOWS.

Hope TSA is treating you well my friend, Tailwinds.

DITTO.

Happiness won't get you money

What it comes down to Dirk, is at one time I had the same view is your original post. In fact that's a nice paragraph for a school creative writing assignment about dreams. The real world however isn't quite that nice. Please post again when you're on a 18 hour Christmas Eve overnight in downtown Dayton, nothing's open, you're getting paid $20.50 an hour for 7 hours of flying for a 2 day trip that takes you away from home for 30 hours. Management loves it when pilots talk about the joys of flying with no complaints. My guess is that the "regional" pilots with little or no grievances either began flying for a "regional" with no debt or even lots of personal capital and/or have a very supportive high income spouse and/or parents. Its business and when a typical "regional" FO makes less than a senior FA, somethings really messed up. All the b__ching on this forum addresses the fact that we are being poorly compensated for the huge liability involved in operating a complex machine with many lives at stake. Don't be surprised to find the real airline pilot life isn't as glamorous as you thought. When that happens, think of this board as a sort of therapy, express your displeasures here and you'll likely be less negative in the real world when interacting with family and friends.

Scuba Steve:

How 'bout sitting in a shack in Detroit in the middle of a blizard on New Years Eve, flying a beat up baron after flying three legs and having to load and unload 1,000 pounds of boxes and bags at each stop in a freezing wind. Then having to look forward to two more legs into more storms and icing conditions that your aircraft was never meant to be flown through. Even on that night, I wouldn't have traded my career for anything else. So to address your point that most people who are happy in the regional industry probably had Mom and Dad pay for training, went straight to a regional, and never had to work a day in their lives; it shows how naive one can be! If you don't like the pay, find a new job. You knew what it was when you took the job and you should accept that. To put things in perspective, you would never take a job as an accountant with Microsoft knowing full well what your salary would be for the next ten years, and then after one year start bitching that you think you should be earning more (and then have the nerve to expect the company to give in to your demands because you have some sort of seniority). It's called working your way up and accepting things for what they are. If you guys want to get paid as much as a United captain right off the bat, you should probably marry some rich chick whose dad owns a GV and become his pilot without putting in any effort or paying your dues. I don't really care if you're unhappy in your job. That is a personal problem that you have to deal with and maybe you deal with it by b1tching on this website. If you were to leave the job, you can be sure that there are 100 people who would be HAPPY to have your job and may even have the sense to realize what a blessing it is to have such a kushy, relatively well paid job. As soon as I'm not happy in this career, I will look for a new one. But with as much b1tching as there is on this site, nobody really thinks it is that bad because if they did, they'd find new jobs PDQ.

Latest resources

Back