Non B1tchers Only Please!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dirk,

Not trying to rain on your parade. Just a little reality check on what you're about to jump into. Work hard while you're at work and then leave it at the airport and enjoy your days off.

Come on back and re-post your thread in a couple of years. I think your new found enthusiasm for this job will have waned. You'll soon begin to see that you're just a number to your company. That honestly they don't really appreciate the hard work you do for them. All they care about are on time stats and profits. This happens at every company when they start to grow. I have flown for a "REAgionaL airline" for nearly six years now. Started out on a 1900 and now the EMB jet. I have kept my record clean and have gone out of my way and way over my job description to keep our customers happy. I have never once even been thanked or recognized by my company for my hard work and dedication. I'm just another number to them.

You'll soon see that flying any airliner is not really like flight instructing or even flying checks alone through the quite night skies. This "flying" is very rigid, regulated and structured. Deviating from the norm in any manner is discouraged and can lead to diciplinary action. Checks don't complain, people do and they do so every day, day in and day out. They complain because they're ignorant of the process of which, for a few hours, they've become a part of. They call you incompetent, immature and uncaring. They do so and they don't even know you or your side of the story.

This isn't "flying" by my definition. This is "systems managing". It's not the same and it's not very much fun. Sure the view is great some days but one can only get so excited about overnighting in Rochester NY for the seemingly hundredth time.

Luckily my wife just got her private certificate last year and I'm able to go "flying" with her from time to time. I love getting back to the basics of low and slow. So I would say that I still "love" flying as much as I ever have. But I've certainly redefined my definition of just exactly what "flying" really is.

It's great to see your enthusiasm. I was the same way when I started out as a Beech FO(the hardest working pilots in 121 flying). Run with it and have a blast with it. Travel as much as you can now before you settle into this industry. It really is awesome for the first years so enjoy it while the enthusiasm lasts.

Last edited:
I was a CFI for three years and nearly 2000 hours, true some days were bad but the good days, hands down, out numbered the bad days.

I have just started at a regional airline and yes the training department does do silly things and so does the management, but so far the good days have again out numbered the bad ones. And that is what I am looking forward to, more good days than bad.

My dad works for a car company he loves his job, he has been there over 25 years, and yes some days are bad but again the good days out number the bad ones.

My wife is a teacher she has been a 2nd grade teacher for 4 years. Some days are bad but most of the days are good.

In every single job in the world there is B.S. that you will have to deal with. But most people will say that the good days out number the bad ones.

And as for MJG quit your job...go back to the basics and be a CFI again--or go get a job doing something else. In what job will you not be just a number to your employer? In some jobs you don't have a union number--but which company overall does not treat you like a worker?

Maybe, if we as a group were more positive about out jobs we would like it more--just a thought.

I love flying, I love people watching in airports, and I love systems managing in my 145, and I love when people are getting of the plane and say nice job or nice landing, or when they stop by on there way in the plane to say "sweet panel" or something like that, or when a young passenger comes up and we let him/her sit in a seat and wear one of our hats and his mom or dad takes his picture. That is pretty cool.

Try to be more positive and you will enjoy your job more...just try it for a few weeks, be super positive and you will enjoy your job more. And as for the ROC overnight you need a new hotel, the Holiday Inn has a good gym, a pool and free computers with DSL and printers 24HRS...or you could rent a car for $25 and take the crew to the Eastman Estate for a few hours (as in Eastman/Kodak film and cameras).

Re: the guat

sgu said:
Heeees baaaack!............

:D

WHERE?????????

I miss him.

BTW, don't mention his name anymore......everytime it is mentioned, the thread goes POOF and disappears. Don't mention TABExpressFO, either. Same thing happens.

LTG:D :D

Mike Oxlong said:
I have just started at a regional airline.

Mike,

Congratulations, welcome to the airlines. Like I said enjoy it now because you and your family will soon see what I mean. FWIW I never said I didn't like my job. But I don't consider work "fun" either. In fact I really like flying with newbies. It's refreshing and fun to watch their enthusiasm. But one of the priceless things I see in my job is when I'm flying with a brand new FO that thinks this is the best thing in the world. Then some jack@ss comes up on his way off the plane and tells us how that was the worst flight he's ever been on and our airline is the worst one he's ever flown. The look on the newbie's face is just priceless.

There are plenty of good and positive things in aviation. But in my opinion "flying" at an airline is not one of them. It's my job and it pays the bills but it's not a positive part of the aviation world if you ask me. That's all I'm trying to say.

Last edited:
I've already had that happen a passenger came up and told us that this was the worst flight he had even been on and it was too bumpy and that the landing was bad. I'm not sure the look on my face was priceless, but more of a have a nice day look and mostly a look of this guy is the biggest jacka$$ ever and I hope he got it.

Anyway read the title of the thread and get out this is a place for non bitcher$ only...no cry babies.

You never answered any of my questions.

Plus here is my advice to you...quit you F$CKING JOB. Not now but soon, go back to school and pick something that you want to do get a BS or MA in something you have always wanted to do and then come back here in a few years and tell us all how much you miss flying and that you are not appreciated by your company and that you are in fact just a number to them too. Good luck in school, and in finding a job that you will enjoy.

you'll learn

Mike Oxlong said:
Plus here is my advice to you...quit you F$CKING JOB. Not now but soon, go back to school and pick something that you want to do get a BS or MA in something you have always wanted to do and then come back here in a few years and tell us all how much you miss flying and that you are not appreciated by your company and that you are in fact just a number to them too. Good luck in school, and in finding a job that you will enjoy.

Instead if agitating MJG you may want to sit back and listen to those of us that have been doing this for some time especially after 9/11 and see the real dirty airline business. It was not too long ago that the CEO's were slashing costs but paying themselves big bonuses at the same time they were trying to push "lets work together through this." Now the "Regionals" are now legitimate "nationals" such as SkyWest and ExpressJet but seem to still think the pilots still should earn a low paycheck for a job well done!
There is nothing wrong with wanting to keep a positive attitude and sing KumBayyah but do not force it on those that have been jaded and screwed. Good luck.

;)

I worked in the Texas prison system for 5 years. We were treated worse than the inmates. The smell was horrible, we were "in" prison also for 12 hours a day with very strict rules. It sucked.

I worked at the US Postal Service for 2 years. We were treated worse than the automated machinery we were operating, blah blah blah.

I just started with TSA. Will I be treated like horse-dung here? Probably. Boo-who cares. I just got done hauling checks for 2 years. I would just be happy with a plane that has a heater that works-got that! Auto pilot-BONUS. Glass cockpit-BONUS. Jet Engines-BONUS. Air-conditioning-BIIIIG BONUS!!!

Of course there's ups and downs to every career. Overall, this job kicks a$$. The EMB-145 kicks a$$. Thats one thing I learned by doing "normal" jobs for several years before getting into aviation. Just ask the TWA guys who are back in the saddle how they enjoyed the last 2 years doing "normal" jobs. Thats why they're in class with me now. I realize I'm brand new in the airlines, haven't even hit the line yet. But I'm no snot-nose kid born yesterday. I've been treated bad and underpaid by the best of 'em and never had near this much fun at it. You guys that are so jaded should try doing something else for a while. Then YOU can come back and post in a couple of years and maybe the attitude would come full-circle back to the excitement and enthusiasm of a new-hire. Ya'll are gonna have to try hard to knock this cowboy down. I'm havin' a blast and I don't see it ending anytime soon. Fly safe!

My personal opinion, its a great job once we close the door and get to be pilots. everything in between, including a lot on this board.... BLOWS.

Hope TSA is treating you well my friend, Tailwinds.

MJG: Thoughtful posts.

Mike: For someone who has just started in this profession, to tell someone who is a little more seasoned to quit his "F$CKING JOB" smacks of immaturity and the bravado of hiding behind a screen name that infects these boards. Hopefully you'll still be posting five years from now (BTW, you'll more than likely still be at a regional -- statistics and the state of the industry and all that.) If you still feel the same way that you do now, then you will have been vindicated.

And as a reminder, MJG never said he didn't like his job, he just recognizes what it is and how he is viewed by his "management team."

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back