• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skiddriver

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/opinions/articles/0628tuelets282.html

A wake-up call from Luke's jets

Jun. 23, 2005 12:00 AM

Question of the day for Luke Air Force Base: Whom do we thank for the morning air show?

Last Wednesday, at precisely 9:11 a.m., a tight formation of four F-16 jets made a low pass over Arrowhead Mall, continuing west over Bell Road at approximately 500 feet. Imagine our good fortune!

Do the Tom Cruise-wannabes feel we need this wake-up call, or were they trying to impress the cashiers at Mervyns' early-bird special?

Any response would be appreciated. - [Name deleted by skiddriver], Peoria

RESPONSE:

Flyby honored fallen comrade

Jun. 28, 2005 12:00 AM

Regarding "A wake-up call from Luke's jets" (Letters, Thursday):

On June 15, at precisely 9:12 a.m., a perfectly timed four-ship of F-16s from the 63rd Fighter Squadron at Luke Air Force Base flew over the grave of Capt Jeremy Fresques.

Capt. Fresques was an Air Force officer who was previously stationed at Luke Air Force Base and was killed in Iraq on May 30, Memorial Day.

At 9 a.m. on June 15, his family and friends gathered at Sunland Memorial Park in Sun City to mourn the loss of a husband, son and friend.

Based on the letter writer's recount of the flyby, and because of the jet noise, I'm sure you didn't hear the 21-gun salute, the playing of taps, or my words to the widow and parents of Capt. Fresques as I gave them their son's flag on behalf of the president of the United States and all those veterans and servicemen and women who understand the sacrifices they have endured.

A four-ship flyby is a display of respect the Air Force pays to those who give their lives in defense of freedom. We are professional aviators and take our jobs seriously, and on June 15 what the letter writer witnessed was four officers lining up to pay their ultimate respects.

The letter writer asks, "Whom do we thank for the morning air show?"

The 56th Fighter Wing will call for you, and forward your thanks to the widow and parents of Capt. Fresques, and thank them for you, for it was in their honor that my pilots flew the most honorable formation of their lives.

Lt. Col. XXXX XXXX

Luke Air Force Base

The writer is commander of the 63rd Fighter Squadron.

Not only likely, true.

Click the link (you'll have to give up a few bits of info). The response is still in the 7 day archive.

Your bias is showing.

Last edited:
Its the jackasses like that guy that really piss me off about our awesome country. I think its terrible that a guy like that is allowed to live here in the US. Not only does he totally disrespect the last respects given to someone who promised to defend the very country he's living in, but then he has the audacity to say that the flyby inconvenienced him by being too early. IT WAS 9am! Who isn't working by then on a week day?!

Tom Cruise wanta-be's???? WTF??? How about real fighter guys while Tom Cruise was attempting to act like a fighter pilot for Hollywood. Its these people who have no idea that really piss me off. Here's an idea, move to Russia or China for 2 years and see how good you have it over there. You might just appreciate the US a little bit after that.

Last thing that's really bothering me. So you move right near a fighter base that's been here since WWII because the house was cheap. What'd you expect? I'll take the cheap house and then complain about the neighbors. This kind of thing is going on all over the country.

Rant Switch - Standby

GIA Big Iron,

Why do you doubt this story? The names change now and again, but these flights unfortunately are part of our jobs both in War and during Peacetime.

...while you avatar shows indicates your political leaning, the fact is I also lost a UPT classmate on Memorial Day in Iraq as well. I would hope that whatever you feel about the war or our current leadership, you could at least respect the sacrifice that others have made.

I cut and paisted the above article and got on my email to send it to some friends. As I scrolled through the names, I realized several of my mailing list are dead...including an F-15 guy who crashed in England in 2001. Like this guy from Luke, he was buried with a 3 ship missing man flight...stuggling to stay legal under an undercast deck in Southern CA...who had flown in across the country from my squadron in Florida.

I have had the honor of doing several cemetary fly-bys on holidays, including fly-overs in Alaska, Belgium, and Florida. There isn't a guy in the formation who doesn't pause and think about those who have gone before. We aren't having fun "buzzing" anyone--instead we are terrified of screwing up our timing or not being able to see our target and not being there at the exact right moment in the ceremony. Its not a "fun" flight...its a somber duty. I'm not asking you to change your political stance, but the "skeptic" you seem to be in response overlooks a great number of folks who still take pride honoring our heros and our citizens who are serving this nation...both in and out of the military. Vote for who you want, but remember that a lot of good folks have died so that we have the ability to voice our opinions and make a choice.

GIA Big Iron said:
I believe the story, I just find it interesting that a base commander would incorporate a woman's letter to the editor in his memorial. Seems a little fishy.

The only fishy thing here is you, go back to bed.

GIA Big Iron said:
I believe the story, I just find it interesting that a base commander would incorporate a woman's letter to the editor in his memorial. Seems a little fishy.

If you go look at the link I posted (which will be gone by tomorrow as they only stay in open archive for 7 days) you'll see that his response is the part below RESPONSE: in my post. The first part (which isn't accessible now, but which I got from another website) is the gentleman's letter of complaint which posted on the 23rd on the newspaper webste.

So the Wing (not base) Commander was responding to a letter sent in by a man (not a woman - where did you get that?) on the 23rd. It was a response, not a memorial (strike three - you're out). The gent who sent in the letter on the 23rd asked for a response. He got one, one that made him look like a hopeless tool.

The dates, as we say in law enforcement, are a clue. Take a second and actually click on the link.

GIA Big Iron said:

Your a &#$%* tool.....

I feel better....

GIA Big Iron

Why are you in the Military forum? You don't see me in the regional forum making fun of your regional airline stories. I don't understand guys like you, so quick to try to poke holes in any story that reflects positively on our military or make folks who are anti-war/anti-military, like you, look bad. My guess is you would have been the one to write the letter for the noise complaint if you were there. If you're here just to rattle the cage of the military, do us a favor, get lost.

This Big Iron Tool guy has an obvious agenda,...read his response to this post from another thread I started.

bozt45 said:
Those of you who might not know, the man on the left is the Commandant of the Marine Corps, and he is proud to know the man on the right.

Maybe you'd like to hear about a real American, somebody who honored the uniform he wears

Meet Brian Chontosh
Churchville-Chili Central School

Class of 1991.

Proud graduate of the Rochester Institute of Technology.

Husband and about-to-be father. First lieutenant (now Captain) in the United States Marine Corps.

And a genuine hero, the secretary of the Navy said so yesterday.

At 29 Palms in California Brian Chontosh was presented with the Navy Cross, the second highest award for combat bravery the United States can bestow.

That's a big deal. But you won't see it on the network news tonight .

And all you'll read in Brian's hometown newspaper is two paragraphs of nothing.

The odd fact about the American media in this war is that it's not covering the American military. The most plugged-in nation in the world is receiving virtually no true information about what its warriors are doing.

Oh, sure, there's a body count. We know how many Americans have fallen. And we see those same casket pictures day in and day out.

And we're almost on a first-name basis with the jerks who abused the Iraqi prisoners. And we know all about improvised explosive devices and how we lost Fallujah and what Arab public-opinion polls say about us and how the world hates us.

We get a non-stop feed of gloom and doom.

But we don't hear about the heroes.

The incredibly brave GIs who honorably do their duty. The ones our grandparents would have carried on their shoulders down Fifth Avenue.

The ones we completely ignore, like Brian Chontosh.

It was a year ago on the march into Baghdad. Brian Chontosh was a platoon leader rolling up Highway 1 in a humvee.

When all hell broke loose.

Ambush city.

The young Marines were being cut to ribbons. Mortars, machine guns, rocket propelled grenades.

And the kid out of Churchville was in charge. It was do or die and it was up to him.

So he moved to the side of his column, looking for a way to lead his men to safety. As he tried to poke a hole through the Iraqi line his humvee came under direct enemy mahine gun fire. It was fish in a barrel and the Marines were the fish. And Brian Chontosh gave the order to attack.

He told his driver to floor the humvee directly at the machine gun emplacement that was firing at them. And he had the guy on top with the 50 cal unload on them.

Within moments there were Iraqis slumped across the machine gun and Chontosh was still advancing, ordering his driver now to take the humvee directly into the Iraqi trench that was attacking his Marines.
Over into the battlement the humvee went and out the door Brian Chontosh bailed, carrying an M16

and a Beretta

and 228 years of Marine Corps pride.

And he ran along the trench, with its' mortars and riflemen, machineguns and grenadiers. And he killed them all.

He fought with the M16 until it was out of ammo.

Then he fought with the Beretta until it was out of ammo. Then he picked up a dead man's AK4 and fought with that until it was out of ammo.

Then he picked up another dead man's AK47 and fought with that until it was out of ammo.

At one point he even fired a discarded Iraqi RPG into an enemy cluster, sending attackers flying with its grenade explosion.

When he was done Brian Chontosh had cleared 200 yards of entrenched Iraqis from his platoon's flank. He had killed more than 20 and wounded at least as many more.

But that's probably not how he would tell it. He would probably merely say that his Marines were in trouble, and he got them out of trouble. Hoo-ah, and drive on.

< br> "By his outstanding display of decisive leadership, unlimited courage in the face of heavy enemy fire, and utmost devotion to duty, 1st Lt. Chontosh reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service."

That's what the citation says.
And that's what nobody will hear.
That's what doesn't seem to be making the evening news.

Accounts of American valor are dismissed by the press as propaganda, yet accounts of American difficulties are heralded as objectivity. It makes you wonder if the role of the media is to inform or to depress - to report or to deride. To tell the truth, or to feed us lies.

But I guess it doesn't matter. We're going to turn out all right As long as men like Brian Chontosh wear our uniform.

If you are as proud of this Marine as I am, then send this to EVERYONE YOU KNOW

Written By journalist and broadcaster Bob Lonsberry

Page by Mary Jones
June---2005

GIA Big Iron said:
Maybe you don't see it on the news because it isn't true. Ever think of that?
GIA Big Iron said:

Thats e-mail spam style "THE LIBERAL MEDIA WONT SHOW YOU THIS!" FLOWERS FROM IRAQI CHILDREN! and such.... hogwash

Latest resources

Back