No US Airline in Top 10 best Airlines of the world

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Huck said:
Most of the winners have flight attendant hiring requirements that would be severely illegal here....

DING!

spanky2 said:
Ask yourselves this question ... how much do these top ten get subsidized by their respect countries ?

DING!

ironspud said:
.... Any flight I take between Europe/Asia and US I pray my employer puts me on a non-US carrier. ANY non-US carrier. If you've not done it, you won't believe the difference in (customer friendly) service between the two.

DING!

1. Cathay Pacific, Hong Kong
2. Qantas Airways, Australia
3. Emirates, Dubai
4. Singapore Airlines, Singapore
5. British Airways, United Kingdom
6. Malaysia Airlines, Malaysia
7. Thai Airways, Thailand
8. Qatar Airways, Qatar
9. Asiana Airlines, South Korea
10. ANA All Nippon Airways, Japan

No Virgin ?

Ask yourselves this question ... how much do these top ten get subsidized by their respect countries ?
Answer this question, ... "how many U.S. carriers received hundreds of millions of dollars in taxpayer aid to stay alive after 9-11?" Your question, or more accuratley your point, isn't a good one. Neither Cathay nor Emirates receive any financial aid from their respective governments. The last time Emirates received any direct money was in 1985 when they started. Asiana and ANA would fit into that same boat as well, not sure about the rest. Qantas was privatized, as was BA. Do they receive support in the form of rights and landing slots ?, I'm sure they do, but so do U.S. carriers.

TP

US carriers did not/will not rank very high again, if ever, becasue of the low morale and corporate culture that has been created.

Its not really the pilots fault but we are just a small part of the equation. It has to start from the top management down. Why do you think Jet Blue ranked high and Southwest has ALWAYS post a quartly profit.

It is all about customer service and if your employees are all pissed off how happy do think your customers are?? Its hard to be a flight attendant (THE front line employees) and have a non-stop smile on your face when your paycheck has been cut in half from a couple off years ago.

There is a reason why all the US airlines are bleeding...poor management, no employee appreciation and extrememly low morale. Hopefully it will all change but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

typhoonpilot said:
Answer this question, ... "how many U.S. carriers received hundreds of millions of dollars in taxpayer aid to stay alive after 9-11?" Your question, or more accuratley your point, isn't a good one. Neither Cathay nor Emirates receive any financial aid from their respective governments. The last time Emirates received any direct money was in 1985 when they started. Asiana and ANA would fit into that same boat as well, not sure about the rest. Qantas was privatized, as was BA. Do they receive support in the form of rights and landing slots ?, I'm sure they do, but so do U.S. carriers.

TP

Exactly.

Check out the ticket prices for CX, Thai, SIA and ANA to Asia...it ain't cheap and you get what you pay for. I would buy non-rev tickets on Asian and European carriers and was treated like royalty. Jumpseating on Cargo is better than long-haul coach on a US airline...that, is a sad state of affairs.

IB6 UB9 said:
Of course we are part of the problem. We have lost more in a shorter time than ever before in our history (JB isn't my first airline). As a result, morale is fairly low. We are even breeding hatred (nothing new here) amongst ourselves at an alarming rate. Wait until this latest merger starts blending seniority lists. Ultimately, the paying customer indirectly gets some of this.

One has nothing to do with the other, US Airlines for years, when compared to overseas airlines, are not up to standards. And no, not all overseas airlines do not receive assistance from their respective governments.

Just a little observation here, all of the airlines that are in the tops of the list, are making a profit.....

U.S. wasn't locked out entirely

BY REGION
North America
Air Canada, Canada
JetBlue, United States
Continental, United States

BEST CATERING
Business class (intercontinental)
Gulf Air, United Arab Emirates
Continental, United States
bmi British Midland, United Kingdom

World's best: Top 10 airlines named

Annual survey of millions of passengers ranks the planet's best airlines.
June 4, 2005: 2:21 PM EDT
By Gordon T. Anderson, CNN/Money staff writer

http://money.cnn.com/2005/06/02/pf/goodlife/best_airlines/index.htm

BEST LOW-COST AIRLINES

Worldwide
JetBlue, United States
Air Berlin, Germany
Virgin Blue, Australia

North America
JetBlue, United States
WestJet, Canada
Frontier, United States

Ah, but Air France was listed in many categories! This clearly shows European superiority in offering consumers a product of higher quality.

Viva La France!

Answer to the problem

Everett Howe said:
World's best: Top 10 airlines named

It's not only the oil price folks, apparently a lot more is wrong with the product put out by the US Airlines. What can we as pilots do, to change it? Or are we part of the problem?

I think part of the answer lies in the poll that is on the link you posted. The question read: What's most important to you when booking an airline flight? With nearly 25,000 responses, 71% voted for price, 17% for Convenience, a mere 10% for service, and 2% other (safety?).

71% care only about price!They don't care about when they leave, what they will eat on the plane, how hot the FA's are or anything else. They simply want to pay the least amount possible. So ... US airlines are giving what the passenger wants - low prices. In order to give cheap ticket prices, costs have to be low. That means no food ... no frills ... no toy in your happy meal. It also means that pensions, A-plans, B-plans are all starting to go bye-bye and pilots (and other labor groups) are being asked for concessions.

I don't think there is anything PILOTS can do. The fact of the matter is that the entire industry would have to refuse to work for lower wages. One pilot at a time, or even one airline at a time can't do it. There's too much competition in the US ... too many others that are willing to work for less just to have a job (one that still pays decent I might add).

BTW ... a neighbor of mine who flew for Eastern back in the day ... 2nd year pay on the 727 panel ... about $5500/month. He made about $7K a month on the panel of the A300 in his 4th year. This was early 80's money! It's not just today's generation of pilots, our profession has been in declince since deregulation.

"BY REGION
North America
Air Canada, Canada
JetBlue, United States
Continental, United States"

What does Air Canada have that JB or CO don't?

Latest resources

Back