No Union

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Humphreybogart said:
Once again, you and your union dues paying buddies didn't get a thing for us. Our management gave it to us, you and your union did nothing. By the way, I still don't have the dues comming out of my paycheck. Teamsters should stick representing truck drivers. I just had a beer with Jimmy Hoffa last night in the Meadowlands.

I normally don't post here anymore due to changes and censorship after the death of the board's founder. But I occasionally lurk due to the fact that clear-and-a-million hasn't reached a critical mass yet and I can find out a thing or two over here. But I guess I got baited into this by flagrant ignorance of some posters that I can't just ignore.

So Humphrey, CS management had a meeting one day and said, "we have an excess of money around here. Let's just give it to the pilots because they deserve it and we're really nice guys". That seems to be the reason in your mind and others such as frac trash. Come on now.

Here's a little real world analogy. My father worked for a lumber company for several years in a managment type position. The workers did not have a union, and the owners definetely did not want a union on the property due to the fact that they'd have to pay workers more, would have to increase benefits, would not have a free hand to fire workers at will, etc. All the usual reasons. How did they keep the workers from unionizing? Every year they surveyed the competitor's mills and found out what the other mills offered their workers. They then took the mean and subtracted around 5-10% and that would be how the workers got paid. So who was driving the wage/benefits increases? That's right, the union workers at the other mills.

This is not a complex situation to grasp. So next time you see a NJ pilot, thank him for working to secure a good contract. They're really helping you out.

wages...

Luke... thats about the size of it... If mgmt would treat the employees right there would be no need for unions.

Its when things get out of wack, the worker bees get fed-up and band together.

Thats what happend here at NJA. We were tired of being taken advantage of and tired of being taken as a fool.....

IE, the last contract mgmt put out that we voted down showed dismal wages, terrible working conditions ( worse than the original contract that was still in force) and we the pilots decided, we will burn this place down rather than continue.

Mgmt realized this and now we've got a good contract. Notice I said "good contract" not great.

Flt Options pilots battle is just starting when the Union gets voted in. It will take strong leadership to to steer the union ship thru the turbulent waters ahead.

'Cuz mgmt sure isen't coming across with anything extra on their own.

Coolyokeluke, assume that all non-unionized shops believed that they got their raise becuase they were the "best," "deserved it," and because they truly believed that their mgmt was going to do them right regardless of the new pay raise at the competitors shop, then your post would not be applicable. In the real world, you have presented the truth though. It's a basic cause and effect relationship that occurs after (as in your example) a union shop gets a raise, then the other non union shops need to follow suit..........except at CS. We have been reminded over and over from Trash/Bogart/Rocky that NJA's contract had zero bearing on their raise (I think that we all know better though). Last but not least, you mentioned that these CS guys outta thank and NJA pilot for their raise??? Unfortunately, not from these 3.........it will never happen. Bogart has said,"I will never say thanks to an NJA pilot for my raise."

Needless to say, I dont believe that they got their raise becasue they are the "best" and their mgmt just wanted to say, hey good job guys, here is a little extra cash for ya'll! Their next pay raise will be shortly after our next contract is re-negotiated (coincidences are just an amazing concept!)...........and their pay raise will mirror ours +1 grand perhaps. But once again, NJA's contract/pilots will not have had any bearing on that whatsoever.

Last edited:
The half dozen CS pilots I've chatted with this year have all said "thanks" for their raises. In fact, one of the crews marched right up to my partner and I at service center a few weeks ago and started the conversation by saying "Thank you for our raises...".

FRACTRASH said:
Dead issue, move on!

Thats for sure... For all the CS guys who are happy...more power to you, Im happy for you, and I envy what you have.

At FLOPs we dont enjoy the same type of work environment you do. FLOPs pilots NEED the union to push the company in the direction that all of you are enjoying.

NUFF SAID!

VOTE YES 1108

Its only a matter of time that CS will be going thru the pains of management. Might not be this year, or next, but I will happen. But in any case, enjoy your environment, I too use to enjoy going to work.

Wyatt: Good Luck to all at FLOPS! What your going through brings back memories of what I went through at the airlines.

Latest resources

Back