NO SWA Summer School

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SWAnging

Just heard from JM...Flight Ops Dept has announced NO SUMMER CLASSES and there are no projections for the fall to date. People Dept "encourages us to stay in contact with them and as they recieve additional info they are more than happy to pass that along". Keep on treading.

Still Treading Water

For one of the many STOP LOSS guys, that's not good news nor bad news...I guess. Fly safe!

:cool:

Wow...words that no one really wanted to hear coming from the SWA direction. Any definition of "summer"? And I guess the next obvious question would be if they're going to continue taking in apps, racking and stacking those apps, and then giving a few meager souls a chance to interview? Looking at the growth (including sim upgrades), and the "retirements" and other factors, it makes sense to get folks lined up for the "after-summer" training. (Trying not to use the word "fall" out of respect for our poolie compadres...too much like jumping off a cliff, out a window, etc.). Looks like burning fossil fuel for our government continues to be an adequate career choice and summer job.
Any thoughts folks?

Boy, do I feel let-down.

Separated from the Navy due to the expectations of a Spring class and now the prospects of a job are looking very distant.

That'll teach me to be so niaive.

Not what I wanted to read tonight.

crushed

Not what I wanted to read tonight. I've turned down two offers with the hopes of being in an April or May class, I'm re-thinking my options now.

OUCH!

Geez, certianly news none of us wanted to hear.. After the load factor reports this week, I was certian that more classes would be announced.. very depressing..

S.B.

Don't get me wrong, still more than happy to be swimming!

I believe it would be wise to wait until the first quarter stats are released before putting to much weight behind recent statements that are flying around. The bottom line is and always will be based on the almighty dollar. Give it a week or so following the release. The dust will settle and future hiring should be better known.

still interviewing?

Dont mean to change the subject, but I thought I had heard interviews had been put on hold after March. Are they still interviewing this month?

Relax!

Guys,
As a fellow poolie (today makes 5 months treading water), do not loss faith. Remember, JM has said herself in the past that she is the last to know before us. I am sure that is stretching it a bit, but when the 1st Qtr numbers come out, then we will see. I am laying odds that we will see at least 1 class a month through the summer, barring unforseen events.
SWA is just being cautious not to overexpand and to ensure that they do not get in a position to have to furlough.
Additionally, don't forget that they have been putting lots of guys through a narrow pipe. So they may be trying to catch up the airplanes with the pilots. Also, they are hiring lots of sim instructors, you don't do that if you are not gonna be training more guys.
Plus they have had some problems with a sim.
So, relax and lets see the new numbers.
Go vacumm the house for the wife, I just did :D

Respectfully,
t1apilot

Latest resources

Back