• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

No pressure fatigue calls?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
An artist named EVERLAST has a cool song called What It's Like. I's basically about walking in other people's shoes.

In a perfect world of honest folks, there would be no CPO involvement in this. Just the Safety folks trying to make adjustments to schedules and policies.

But this is one big fat complicated issue with a really long list of factors, some under the pilot's control, some not.

All it takes is one liar clearly playing the fatigue card, to turn a sympathetic Chief Pilot into a bad cop for the rest of his career.

My personal opinion is the contractual and FAA limitations are completely reasonable from a fatigue standpoint, if the pilot ensures their rest time is actually rest. Throw in screaming babies, commuting, drunk neighbors, whatever and that all changes.

Chronic stress is another story. The "I'm sick of this crap!" kind of stress. Every day, month after month, on reserve, with scheduling owning your nutsack, yanking you around, not abiding by the contract.

That kind of stress can bring a pilot to the breaking point. Next you look for an escape or maybe just a middle finger to the company and play the fatigue card.

Are you fatigued? Maybe not the "not enough sleep" kind, but you are no less fatigued.

The nature of our jobs can produce quite a bit of frustration and chronic stress which can result in fatigue of extremely varying degrees depending on several personal factors ranging from experience, life situation, health, genetics, background, etc etc. Our job does not allow the 'band-of-brothers" teamwork effect to mitigate any of these factors. We are each very much on our own in all this on a day to day basis.

Finally, I would hazard a guess that most valid fatigue calls are not the result of a lack of sleep. More so the variety of Peter Finch yelling "I'm as mad as hell and I'm not gonna take this anymore!"

Mad about what? contract violations, being stuck on reserve, commuting not by choice, getting denied the jumpseat, no chance of upgrade, being downgraded, scheduling yanking you around like Pinochio, repositioning airplanes, endless four day trips, etc. etc.

And yes, it could suck more, (you could be on furlough or fighting towel heads) but everyone has a different breaking point and will cry uncle in a different manner, at a different time. Just don't inappropriately play the fatigue card, just because you're sick of all the crap. (Man up or put on your big girl panties on that one.)

Doing so makes it harder on those who have to make a fatigue call, when they actually are just plain tired.

I nearly wholly agree with this. Well articulated. My only change would be with regards to who gets to 'draw the line' between an acceptable and an overly fatiguing trip.

If it were solely the company's discretion as to how to build the pairing, minimum rest with maximum productivity from a financial standpoint would determine the construction of the pairing. If it were an individual pilot's discretion as to trip construction, it would be maximum pay with minimum block. (The third variable in the equation would be the work rules peer groups in the industry operate under.)

To address pilot absenteeism, as well as pilot morale, I think that most pilots of an airline would prefer to have a voice in trip construction.

Ideally, there will be some significant changes to FTDT rules in our near future. Though it could be perceived by the RAA as inconvenient in the near term, having a level playing field that respects fatigue issues is in everyone's best interests.

I disagree to some extent, only because if the company is to maximize productivity, they must build trips that keep people motivated to be productive. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, and I do NOT think the company is out to get us. I think the safety department is honestly trying to determine the safety threat, and give good guidance to flightops. The company realizes that min rest and max productivity = low morale, so it is not in their interests to do so. The squeeze we are feeling now, well, we can talk about that in a private message, or in person. There has been a definite breakdown, and there should be consequences for the person responsible for it.

The company already determines the efficiency of the trips/lines. That won't change with this evaluation. It can only get better with better information.

An artist named EVERLAST has a cool song called What It's Like. I's basically about walking in other people's shoes.

In a perfect world of honest folks, there would be no CPO involvement in this. Just the Safety folks trying to make adjustments to schedules and policies.

The ONLY reason that the CPO is involved is the pay issue. Well. That combined with the fact that the Safety dept isn't staffed to accept calls from 1600 pilots about fatigue, and make determinations.

The CPO is more than just a discipline outlet. They are our tie to management, and the way we communicate our concerns up to them. That's why that job sucks so much! They are just the conduit for all the crap, both up and down... Of course, some of them are more...diplomatic than others. Joe Anduze comes to mind.

If company really cared about fatigue they would build the majority of our flying into equitable lines instead of flagrantly, abusively, manipulatively and illegally withholding it and placing into opentime to be dolled out to reserves. And unfortunately it seems with endorsement from our union.

The vast majority of fatigue calls are reserves. Our reserve pilots are walking zombies. With our "opportunistic flying" how do we end up with something like 10 less lines in July than June? With around 25% or our pilot group on reserve? So much for the argument that with additional flying come more lines. The current trend will see far more than 25% on reserve soon.

If it wasn't so sad it would almost be amusing to hear senior captains on here using the tired, exhausted, worn out cliche of "if it's so bad then quit and we won't have to hear your complaining anymore?" Horse dung. As you well know and have frequently vocalized, the seniority system we're under prohibits such actions in most cases. Secondly, even the most junior pilot on property now has a hale of a commitment to this company and consequently every right to speak out regarding the forces attempting to turn our outfit into a pile of crap. If you really want word about our operation from someone with with a finger on the pulse, ask a reserve pilot not a senior captain.

The ONLY reason that the CPO is involved is the pay issue. Well. That combined with the fact that the Safety dept isn't staffed to accept calls from 1600 pilots about fatigue, and make determinations.

The CPO is more than just a discipline outlet. They are our tie to management, and the way we communicate our concerns up to them. That's why that job sucks so much! They are just the conduit for all the crap, both up and down... Of course, some of them are more...diplomatic than others. Joe Anduze comes to mind.

Well unfortunately any interaction with the CPO is usually viewed as a disciplinary action. This is a misconception reinforced by the style which most Chiefs adopt, whether they mean to or not. Like I said, it only takes interaction with one one peeved pilot inappropriately playing the fatigue card to turn a Chief into a monster. Cost of doing business I guess.

Then again, this being a first real job for many of our pilots, they are not well equipped to deal with that across the desk interaction, having no knowledge of what it means to have your "ducks in row".

Trust me, we have no Chief who is near the diks I've dealt with in my career. But that is no excuse. The protocol needs to be a little less confrontational. The best step toward that is to take the pay issue out of it. If a guy is at his base and working, but makes a fatigue call, his pay should not be touched.

That will make having to explain oneself the only sticky part, which we all should be up to.

If company really cared about fatigue they would build the majority of our flying into equitable lines instead of flagrantly, abusively, manipulatively and illegally withholding it and placing into opentime to be dolled out to reserves. And unfortunately it seems with endorsement from our union.

The vast majority of fatigue calls are reserves. Our reserve pilots are walking zombies. With our "opportunistic flying" how do we end up with something like 10 less lines in July than June? With around 25% or our pilot group on reserve? So much for the argument that with additional flying come more lines. The current trend will see far more than 25% on reserve soon.

If it wasn't so sad it would almost be amusing to hear senior captains on here using the tired, exhausted, worn out cliche of "if it's so bad then quit and we won't have to hear your complaining anymore?" Horse dung. As you well know and have frequently vocalized, the seniority system we're under prohibits such actions in most cases. Secondly, even the most junior pilot on property now has a hale of a commitment to this company and consequently every right to speak out regarding the forces attempting to turn our outfit into a pile of crap. If you really want word about our operation from someone with with a finger on the pulse, ask a reserve pilot not a senior captain.
How true. The reserve group is now worn out. The company ignores this fact because the contract permits our ridiculous work rules regarding reserves. That's Ok. Let's do what we need to do to protect our own personal health, our family life, and our pilot certificate. If we self regulate our schedules, then we will see more upgrades soon. Hell, we gave them over two years to fix the system. Time is now up. I hope they junior man the living hell out of senior line holders for the next two months.

How true. The reserve group is now worn out. The company ignores this fact because the contract permits our ridiculous work rules regarding reserves. That's Ok. Let's do what we need to do to protect our own personal health, our family life, and our pilot certificate. If we self regulate our schedules, then we will see more upgrades soon. Hell, we gave them over two years to fix the system. Time is now up. I hope they junior man the living hell out of senior line holders for the next two months.

Well said.

I'm on reserve in IAD and not worn at all from the actual flying assignments. Worn out from commuting, but not reserve. I'll gladly take the 90+hrs of credit the ATL 200 reserve guys are getting. Anybody want to switch?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back