No More Hats at ExpressJet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
propjockey said:
I wonder how many still wear them after finding out what a pain in the butt they are to tote around, especially if you commute.
They aren't hard to tote around at all if they are on your head.

There are times that I would prefer not to wear a hat, like in the middle of the summertime, it is part of our uniform, and I am proud to wear that uniform, including the hat.

atrdriver said:
Maybe this is one of the reasons that the industry IS in the toilet. We show the passengers a Wal-Mart product, and they expect a Wal-Mart price. If I went to a lawyer who wore sweats into court I wouldn't expect the same product that I would get with one who dressed the part...
So an airline pilot wearing slacks and a blazer with no hat is the equivalent of a lawyer wearing sweats? You might be able to use that hat of yours to hide the top of your head from the customers, but it's not going to hide your inadquacies.

rogerthat said:
So an airline pilot wearing slacks and a blazer with no hat is the equivalent of a lawyer wearing sweats? You might be able to use that hat of yours to hide the top of your head from the customers, but it's not going to hide your inadquacies.
It is not about ego! Step away from the mirror.

It is about image and preception of the public. Put yourself in the shoes of the passenger that comes to the airport twice a year.

EVERYTHING at the airport is new, unfamiliar and interesting. When these type of people see pilots, what do the EXPECT to see?

Justification comes in all forms including "the only thing passengers care about is ticket price!"

When you only fly twice a year and you strap your tail in the seat, you no longer care about your wallet and you hope the two pilots upfront are the safest and most professional! The only way you have to judge this is by the pilots you saw in the terminal, even though they aren't your pilots!!

atrdriver said:
They aren't hard to tote around at all if they are on your head.

There are times that I would prefer not to wear a hat, like in the middle of the summertime, it is part of our uniform, and I am proud to wear that uniform, including the hat.
Are you proud of that paycheck too?

""If I went to a lawyer who wore sweats into court I wouldn't expect the same product that I would get with one who dressed the part...""

You go to a doctor that wears basically pajamas to the operating room and the office...do you expect an inferior product from him/her?

Listen - all you "PROFESSIONAL PILOT" guys, nobody except you and your Riddle buddies care that you are an airline pilot. For pete's sake, all we are is grossly underpaid greyhound bus drivers, and i am an assistant bus driver at that.

i for one am glad we got rid of the hat...i was getting tired of carrying it around.

aa30 said:
You go to a doctor that wears basically pajamas to the operating room and the office...do you expect an inferior product from him/her?

No, but when I see the Corvette/Ferrari/Mercedes that he/she drove to work in it makes me wonder why I don't start wearing pajamas to work.

Sincerely,

B. Franklin

Don't give up now

I have to side with the "hatties" here. Remember when Airtran was ValueJet? Their pilots wore denim shirts and khakis. We all called it a virtual airline and laughed and laughed. They even had a guy how would blow the harmonica on over the PA while he did anouncements. How cute. This really was the beginning of the end of the respectable airline pilot image. The general public has, for whatever reason, a general disgust for us and would love to see us treated as the bus drivers they think we are. Our last hope against the newspapers, TV, and company reps blaming us for everything that is wrong with the world is to continue to maintain as professional image as we can. If we don't look like we're proud of what we do and who we are then, in their eyes, we're not any better than a "sky-cabbie".
I may go for days without shaving, but when I show up to the airport I take pride in presenting myself like I've got my sh!t together. Wether it's a plane-load of people or a bunch of car parts I'm taking from Walla Walla to Kokomo. Whoever said it was right, people are paying more attention than you think they are. And I want to make them think of us the way that they used to. Even if the only reason they have to is how we present ourselves. Of course, I understand how this will be recieved, most of you seemed to have never learned to spell. Ha. Low blow, I know, but jeepers, people.

StaySeated said:
Didn't "line pilots" used to wear hats and cold weather gear and scarves and goggles?

What, they're not required anymore? :D

Patmack18 said:
How can you be so goddammn self rightous, all you do is throw the gear up and down (no I don't mean that seriously). But honestly, if you're SO under paid, why are you acceptinig substandard wages? Why don't you go find a job that pays you what you're worth? Professionalism is a funtion of attitude, not hours or the size of your paycheck. If it were my airline, I'd personally throw your ass to the curb with that attitude.
Your attitude may change if/when you decide to come to the civilian world. Every time I talk with my friends in the military, they can't believe how little we get paid. (Granted, pay increases with years of longevity, but initially it is super low.) And, admittedly, I may be incorrect in assuming that you should be grouped with my military friends...you may know more about "regional" airline pay than they. Currently, my fellow pilots and I are trying to get a contract that pays us closer to what we're worth. While that may not be a function of professionalism, neither is wearing a hat.

I don't understand how a hat, a hat, no I mean a hat, can be such an inflammatory topic.

Doesn't mean we all look like slobs. I still wear mine occassionally to cover my bald head. I think it's a great rule.

If you all wanna get into a semantic discussion about professionalism over our uniform, then I wanna know why we all still wear a "NAVAL" uniform.

A "NAVAL" uniform, which by the way was started by Pan Am for Spruce Goose pilots as I understand it, and everyone just kind of adopted, because it looked good. A company which is long gone.

Truth is we all were never creative enough to come up with something better.

And if there is no uniform and we start wearing PJ's and the car that you drive shows how professional you are then I must be a total slob!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest resources

Back