Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JJET44

Just curious,
Have many flight departments stop flying into Europe or are planing on stopping or reducing flights due to ETS and the price of fuel?
At my current company we bought a challenger several years ago with plans to start flying over but soon after fuel prices started to skyrocket and ETS was proposed and we changed our minds.
My last company stopped going over to Europe just before I was hired for the same reason.
At both companies the mind set is why spend upwards of $40,000 per trip when you could buy a 1st class ticket for around $5'000.

I thought I'd read that, although it's a scam, it wasn't going to add an unbearable amount to the trip. Is anyone using a reporting company or just doing it yourself?

I was just in recurrent with an owner-operator and he said that The EU is charging or going to charge operators carbon cridits for the whole trip not just for the portion flown in the EU........example if you burn 15,000 lbs for a trip from TEB to London, they charge you for the full 15,0000lbs. He also said they over estimate burns. He had a trip from TEB to somewhere in the EU and they estimated his burn in a Challenger 601 was 21,000lbs. His 601 only holds about 17,700lbs.
Now I believe it's up to you to make any and all corrections.

Last edited:
Maybe its time we start charging all the European airlines road tax on their whole flight. Two can play the same game. We've been the nice guy way too long.

Just curious,
Have many flight departments stop flying into Europe or are planing on stopping or reducing flights due to ETS and the price of fuel?
At my current company we bought a challenger several years ago with plans to start flying over but soon after fuel prices started to skyrocket and ETS was proposed and we changed our minds.
My last company stopped going over to Europe just before I was hired for the same reason.
At both companies the mind set is why spend upwards of $40,000 per trip when you could buy a 1st class ticket for around $5'000.

Then why own your own jet?...You can take the airlines anywhere. You can go Southwest Airlines NY-LA for $450...why take the Challenger at $25,000?

Fuel is very expensive in Europe...and its expected that we shop it carefully and suggest alternates as needed...but the day we hangar the jet and the boss takes United Airlines because its cheaper (ya think??)....I would be polishing up that resume.

Gripe and moan and complain about the costs?...somewhat normal...actually cancelling trips and taking the airlines?...somewhat concerning.

Last edited:
According to ProPilot mag(yeah I read it sometimes), each credit is going for $21.50 and a 2500 lb/hr fuel burn costs you about 3-4 credits/hour. Then the compliance costs. Yeah, a total scam. So then....take our last trip for example. Iceland, Norway, Russia...THEN the EU. Where do they start keeping tabs for that? This could get all sorts of ridiculous.

...the day we hangar the jet and the boss takes United Airlines because its cheaper (ya think??)....I would be polishing up that resume.

Gripe and moan and complain about the costs?...somewhat normal...actually cancelling trips and taking the airlines?...somewhat concerning.
What he said.

There are ways to beat the EU ETS, 135 being one of them. Not advocating it but worth looking into for some 91 operators.

You're absolutely right G200. I'll tell the boss to pack it up and sell the airplane because we shouldn't use the company jet on domestic trips only. C-mon Man!!! We fly a lot. I'm not worried.

Latest resources

Back