• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

No more Europe flights

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If anyone can put an end to the ETS madness, it will have to be the Chinese. They are not infected with political correctness and don't care what the French and Germans think of them (for good reason too). As for Europe, other than sightseeing or taking personal delivery of your new Porshe and ringing it out on the autobahn, why go? The business opportunity there pales in comparison to Asia.

Maybe we can make the tax retroactive and charge the Europeans for all the emissions produced by the last two world wars they hosted.

Good idea ... I know my boss leans on the pilots when seeking business advice ....:erm::rolleyes:

If anything, we are flying more to Europe. But when we actually have to start paying ETS, what will they do with the money? We are registered in the UK, so our fees will probably go to pay down THEIR national debt.

Good idea ... I know my boss leans on the pilots when seeking business advice ....:erm::rolleyes:

Excellent! Are you hiring? I'm getting tired of working for am employer who was always choosing the destinations for me. :laugh:

On a more serious note. If your company is not focusing on Asia (other than for the aforementioned leisure travel), you may not have to worry about flying internationally for too much longer. Between ETS, SMS, SAFA checks, outrageous fuel prices and the elimination of VAT recovery, Eurocontrol Nav charges, potentially onerous equipment requirements (CPDLC, ADS-B), and an occasional volcanic eruption, one might get the idea that they do not want to do business with you.

Last edited:
Excellent! Are you hiring? I'm getting tired of working for am employer who was always choosing the destinations for me. :laugh:

On a more serious note. If your company is not focusing on Asia (other than for the aforementioned leisure travel), you may not have to worry about flying internationally for too much longer. Between ETS, SMS, SAFA checks, outrageous fuel prices and the elimination of VAT recovery, Eurocontrol Nav charges, potentially onerous equipment requirements (CPDLC, ADS-B), and an occasional volcanic eruption, one might get the idea that they do not want to do business with you.

While you are correct ... the guy in the back could care less. He has us to take care of that BS for him. When the bills get too expensive, he will stop flying there.

Does anyone know how much more a 2100 nm flight into to EU will cost?

Also, BTW, I cannot believe that anyone who can own a challenger would have a problem with affording these costs ... We are talking about a couple bottles of good wine here ...
Look....my company is a fortune 500 company. We can afford to fly to Europe but our Officers choose not to simply because we are headquartered in a major metropolitan city on the east cost with many airlines, domestic and foreign serving. Our people don't need to go anywhere other then the most major cities in Europe. Therefore, they choose to go at $4000.00 for first class instead of paying $50,0000 on the jet. Simple economics!!
For those who ask why we have a jet at all and why don't our people just take the airlines domestically........you're comparing apples to oranges. Have you ever flown first class internationally? Not the same as domestic first class especially on Luftansa, Virgin, or Air France. Also international flights usually don't delay because of scheduling delays or late arriving equipment.
On last point. My company does very little overseas so it's not a big deal.

Last edited:
Jet, I agree with everything you are saying ... but you do not fly your aircraft to Europe because of an ETS or high fuel prices. Those ad a nominal expense to 25 hour trip to Europe. It is because of your 1st statement ... simple economics ... a 1st class ticket is cheap compared to operating your own aircraft.

Jet, I agree with everything you are saying ... but you do not fly your aircraft to Europe because of an ETS or high fuel prices. Those ad a nominal expense to 25 hour trip to Europe. It is because of your 1st statement ... simple economics ... a 1st class ticket is cheap compared to operating your own aircraft.

Ok, you're right. I left out user fees, permits and everything else that is above and beyond what we have to pay to operate within the US. If we were to operate into Eupore it would only be a few times a year and we would most likely use Universial or Airink for all planning (whe're just a 2 pilot department.) That in itself will cost upwards of $6000.00.

I guess I was being very narrow minded when I started this post. Most who fly the corporate jet over may not have it as easy as major city to major city with one lag each direction as our folks have it and I know that some companies make multiple stops on trips. You guys probably take over multiple people on these trips too.
My point, it just dosen't fit into my companys' game plan and at the time i started tnis post i didn't think about others plans.

Last edited:
I guess I was being very narrow minded when I started this post.
...My point, it just dosen't fit into my companys' game plan and at the time i started tnis post i didn't think about others plans.
OK, but this is what you said at the beginning of the thread, so you actually WERE thinking about others' plans. I mean that's what you asked about, right? Others' plans.
...we bought a challenger several years ago with plans to start flying over but soon after fuel prices started to skyrocket and ETS was proposed and we changed our minds.
My last company stopped going over to Europe just before I was hired for the same reason.
So you can see where the confusion came from.
And there is much happiness and jubilation here that you work for a 2-person Fortune 500 company flight department that can fly the old Challenger that they bought to go to Europe, to Europe, anytime they want, except that they don't want to, just like your last company, which quit going to Europe before ETS or... wait... what was this thread about again? :D

Ok, you're right. I left out user fees, permits and everything else that is above and beyond what we have to pay to operate within the US. If we were to operate into Eupore it would only be a few times a year and we would most likely use Universial or Airink for all planning (whe're just a 2 pilot department.) That in itself will cost upwards of $6000.00.

Why would you use Universal to go to Europe?

We do all our own through ARINC. We are a 3 pilot department and if you go once a year or 45x a year its absurd to pay Universal to do planning to Europe that would take you less than an hour....unless you are not worried about cost. Worry about $300? in EU-ETS fees yet drop 6K on a flight plan and a hotel reservation through Universal?

As dorked up as Europe is right now I bet you will wait a long time to see anything truly come of EU-ETS also. Certainly not enough to cancel trips over the expense right now.

You seemed to ask about something absurd (cost of airline tickets vs running and old Challenger) then get huffy when you didn't like what you heard.

Anyhow, glad you understand your company plan etc (thats all that matters?) and at the end of the day I would certainly not complain about skipping Europe runs in a Challenger 600...

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong. I loves me some Arinc. But I believe that we pay in excess of 11K a year for the plan we are on. While that seems outrageous, I get my money's worth out of them almost daily. You do have to watch them on some international planning, but conversely, I have had them call me up before a trip to ask me if I had obtained something (that I wasn't aware I even needed). At times, they are like having your own dispatch when you are a small operator. A few trips to Europe or Asia and you will have paid your subscription fee. The do not always negate the need for a handler, but they can help you out both internationally and domestically.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back