Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FmrFreightDog

Py-lote
As of February 15th, the TSA will no longer be allowing anybody to carry lighters, disposable or otherwise, through any security checkpoints. I'm wondering what kind of revolt this is going to cause among passengers, not to mention crew members who happen to smoke. Apparently the ban may be expanded to include matches, making the area inside security a de facto non-smoking area. By extension, that would make your 4 day trip a non-smoking trip. Yet another step in the wrong direction by the friendly, white-shirted high school dropouts at the TSA.

Here's a link to the article:
http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/news/nation/10539621.htm?template=contentModules/printstory.jsp

FmrFreightDog said:
As of February 15th, the TSA will no longer be allowing anybody to carry lighters, disposable or otherwise, through any security checkpoints. I'm wondering what kind of revolt this is going to cause among passengers, not to mention crew members who happen to smoke. Apparently the ban may be expanded to include matches, making the area inside security a de facto non-smoking area. By extension, that would make your 4 day trip a non-smoking trip. Yet another step in the wrong direction by the friendly, white-shirted high school dropouts at the TSA.

Here's a link to the article:
http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/news/nation/10539621.htm?template=contentModules/printstory.jsp

Hey guy, go ahead and pull your head out of your extremities since you have no clue what you are talking about. There is a real issue with disposable lighters, especially when they are emptied being used as a component in homemade bombs. This is according to my wife, a TSA supervisor, who incidentally holds a 4 year degree. You can, however, carry Zippo style lighters.

Bring 5 or so in to your crew room before the deadline so you can have them after the fact. If you want to be a business man, then bring more then sell them to other smokers after the deadline.

Atlanta Vicks said:
Hey guy, go ahead and pull your head out of your extremities since you have no clue what you are talking about. There is a real issue with disposable lighters, especially when they are emptied being used as a component in homemade bombs. This is according to my wife, a TSA supervisor, who incidentally holds a 4 year degree. You can, however, carry Zippo style lighters.

And it's such a pressing, sensitive issue that the ban is going into effect on February 15th instead of immediately??? There's a real issue with about 300 different household items that can be used as a bomb. And, no... the ban will include Zippo style lighters as well.

By the way, keep your comments about my head and my extremities to yourself. A$$hole.

FmrFreightDog said:
And it's such a pressing, sensitive issue that the ban is going into effect on February 15th instead of immediately??? There's a real issue with about 300 different household items that can be used as a bomb. And, no... the ban will include Zippo style lighters as well.

By the way, keep your comments about my head and my extremities to yourself. A$$hole.

Ill remember your comments when someone takes down your flight with a butane lighter or any of the other "300 different household items that can be used as a bomb." Be glad someone is there looking out for you and your flights.

I've always been against carrying lighters through security for obvious reasons. There will be an uproar among the passengers who don't know the new rule and have to leave their lighters behind. For the crewmembers, a great time to quit, or switch to the spittoon like I have.

mach

1. its easy to get around. Just carry the matches on your person, how many people (especially crewmembers) get pulled over these days. 2. stash a bunch in your flight bag at the hotel, put them in your jeps. 3. if in an airport smoking area, just as one of the 10,000 TSA agents on break to borrow one of theirs because there is no way in HE*! the TSA agents are giving up their lighters. Come on seriously, how can TSA agents be expected to give up their lighters, but all passengers and crewmembers, no matches, or lighters.

Hey government take you G#dD&*M nose out business that isn't yours.

A Holes

it's so amazing that the tsa would rather deal with the bs problems then deal with the real issues.. a steel pen or a can of akwanet hairspray( anyone every had a spudgun would know that one) can be just as dangerous as a stupid a@@ lighter although they were fun to throw against a concrete wall as a kid...how about dealing with the rampers and the gate agents that just freely walk in and out behind security or the budlight truck that freely drives around the ramp after being halfarse checked by some rentacop...Typical government tho to ignore the big problems by focusing on the little ones.. as for "watching out for our flights" just asmuch stuff gets past tsa now as it did pre-tsa it's just my tax dollars paying for it now... 9/11 will never happen for one reason and one reason only it's call a steel door and the fact that i'm not opening it plain and simple no matter what is happening in the back...

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back