• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

No More ASA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't believe they're a violation, but PBS is up for grabs and our contract is amendable soon... thats why we should revisit the issue.

It is a violation. You can read the contract, and it has no mention of red arrow days. It has a limit on the amount of restricted days. What ASA has done, not so subtly either, is basically just call restricted days "red arrow days" and prevent you from swapping stuff out. It's apparent that BH likes to run a lean operation. It's all part of the game. Don't be fooled by all the warm and fuzzy pats on the back, and the
icon28.gif
"thanks for all you do guys! xoxoxo"
icon28.gif
while we are furloughing ourselves into an understaffed and overworked operation. You want to talk about lack of foresight, you would have thought that BH would have asked Delta long ago what they would replace the ATRs into HHH with rather than waiting till it already started and Delta going "you mean you can't send a 70-seater???"

A lot of guys who have been here for decades say this place is better than it ever was. Although I am not satisfied with the response of our MEC to some of the more recent issues, I say the credit goes more towards contractual changes than BH himself. As far as giving him credit for ontime performance, well, we all know why it shot back up all of a sudden.

I like holding this idiots feet to the fire. Sorry, can't help myself. What say you now, outtahere moron?

Trojan

Sorry to say it guys, but I believe ASA is on the way out. I've been trying to figure out why we are furloughing and downgrading when we aren't doing that much less flying than last fall/winter. On average last winter we had around 700 flights per day. We are supposed to take a "major" hit to our flying this winter, however I'll be surprised if we don't wind up with around 700 flights per day. So, why the furlough? Well our contract is pretty tight when it comes to Skywest taking our planes, but there is not one mention of them taking our flying. Have you noticed that Skywest hasn't furloughed a single pilot yet? As we start to slide into winter I would be willing to bet my meager salary that you will start to see Skywest 200's and 700's in ATL. The excuse will be that hey, we didn't get cut as much as we thought we were going to, and now we don't have the resources to operate the schedule Delta wants us to, so we are going to let Skywest fill in for us for the time being. Then come next April, those twenty 200's that our "Senior" management is working so hard to place will o bye bye, and then they will want to furlough more. If they are unable to furlough past the no furlough clause, then they will just patiently wait until the hiring boom kicks off, then ASA will wither on the vine until it finally just goes away. Crazy you say? Look at Comair. Since Skywest bought ASA we have done nothing but shrink. We were to get 20 700's from Delta, they went to Skywest instead. Then they took five 700's trying to break our will on the contract. Then there was the 19 900's that were coming to ASA, but they also went to Skywest. That's 44 airplanes to Skywest, not to mention 12 ATR's, and now 20 200's. SEVENTY SIX AIRCRAFT!!!!! That is just three years of work from our leadership at Skywest. If you figure five crews per plane, that's 760 pilots. Skywest has about 1000 pilots more than ASA. The writing is on the wall folks! It had been my intention to hang up my hat here at ASA, I've got six in, and after all of this current industry bullsh!t works itself out I'll be closer to ten, but I don't believe that there will be an ASA left to work for. I've talked to a few others here, and they were all starting to think about this situation the same as I am, so what is the opinion of the Flight Info crowd of ASA pilots? This is after all the ASA board.

you're a ******************************bag. GO ahead and quit already so the rest of us can move up a number.

Sorry to say it guys, but I believe ASA is on the way out. I've been trying to figure out why we are furloughing and downgrading when we aren't doing that much less flying than last fall/winter. On average last winter we had around 700 flights per day. We are supposed to take a "major" hit to our flying this winter, however I'll be surprised if we don't wind up with around 700 flights per day. So, why the furlough? Well our contract is pretty tight when it comes to Skywest taking our planes, but there is not one mention of them taking our flying. Have you noticed that Skywest hasn't furloughed a single pilot yet? As we start to slide into winter I would be willing to bet my meager salary that you will start to see Skywest 200's and 700's in ATL. The excuse will be that hey, we didn't get cut as much as we thought we were going to, and now we don't have the resources to operate the schedule Delta wants us to, so we are going to let Skywest fill in for us for the time being. Then come next April, those twenty 200's that our "Senior" management is working so hard to place will o bye bye, and then they will want to furlough more. If they are unable to furlough past the no furlough clause, then they will just patiently wait until the hiring boom kicks off, then ASA will wither on the vine until it finally just goes away. Crazy you say? Look at Comair. Since Skywest bought ASA we have done nothing but shrink. We were to get 20 700's from Delta, they went to Skywest instead. Then they took five 700's trying to break our will on the contract. Then there was the 19 900's that were coming to ASA, but they also went to Skywest. That's 44 airplanes to Skywest, not to mention 12 ATR's, and now 20 200's. SEVENTY SIX AIRCRAFT!!!!! That is just three years of work from our leadership at Skywest. If you figure five crews per plane, that's 760 pilots. Skywest has about 1000 pilots more than ASA. The writing is on the wall folks! It had been my intention to hang up my hat here at ASA, I've got six in, and after all of this current industry bullsh!t works itself out I'll be closer to ten, but I don't believe that there will be an ASA left to work for. I've talked to a few others here, and they were all starting to think about this situation the same as I am, so what is the opinion of the Flight Info crowd of ASA pilots? This is after all the ASA board.

Bump. Nice job idiot.

Trojan

Some of my additions:

SkyWest is planning to go AQP mid summer and be fully implemented by next year, it was mentioned on an earlier post that sim would be every 9 months, it will be 2 sim sessions every 12 months.

Our PBS system isn't real good, very hard to use, there has been words that we are looking at the system used at ASA (is it flightline?) and maybe get here at SkyWest, we have AOS.

I have been told by few in managment that SkyWest will have a record increase, and a record amount of flight hours, given to us by Delta for the months of June, July, and August. Mostly out of SLC. Followed by a record decrease and reduction in September. I was told that if the reduction is as severe as projected that it will be highly likely that furloughs will occur.

I have also been told that SkyWest isn't really worried about unions any more, I don't think they would really throw a lot at our next negotiations to thwart another union drive.

I would fully support organizing our pilot groups together, but not under the ALPO banner.

Ok, attack at will........

Our PBS system isn't real good, very hard to use, there has been words that we are looking at the system used at ASA (is it flightline?) and maybe get here at SkyWest, we have AOS.

I would fully support organizing our pilot groups together, but not under the ALPO banner.

It was ALPO that got you that flightline PBS.

Some of my additions:

SkyWest is planning to go AQP mid summer and be fully implemented by next year, it was mentioned on an earlier post that sim would be every 9 months, it will be 2 sim sessions every 12 months.

I have been told by few in managment that SkyWest will have a record increase, and a record amount of flight hours, given to us by Delta for the months of June, July, and August. Mostly out of SLC. Followed by a record decrease and reduction in September. I was told that if the reduction is as severe as projected that it will be highly likely that furloughs will occur.

I have also been told that SkyWest isn't really worried about unions any more, I don't think they would really throw a lot at our next negotiations to thwart another union drive.

CFIT,

There is no doubt that you will have the Flightline PBS system. We have yet to get our agreement (TA) signed by Mgmt. There is some squabbling still over language, from what I understand. There are others on here that know way more than I do about this stuff.

Flightline is still programming our Contract into it. They tell us it could be up to 3 mo. work for flightline to get everything in there (from March 10th when it was voted in by our pilot group.) Watching the demo's our PBS working group members gave on the system, it looks really nice. I also have friends bidding on my computer at Virgin America, and they use the Flightline system. I don't know the system intricately, but from what I've seen, it's dam nice. At least comparatively to what I've seen from AOS (which I haven't seen much).

From what I understand, ASA's AQP program is supposed to go live sometime this Summer as well. That changes, I know, I think it was supposed to go live Spring 2010, but keeps being pushed back.

From what I know, I really don't think ALPA will expend anymore resources to woo SkyWest anytime in the near future. Probably in the distant future as well. Not flaming, just from a cost standpoint, I don't believe it will happen. ALPA has tried unsuccessfully and the few people I've talked to said that dog ain't gonna hunt no more..... Perhaps SkyWest can find a way to organize under their own affiliation? That way, we can at least begin a dialogue between pilot groups, which would be beneficial to all.

All that being said, I'd love to have a unified pilot group fighting for our interests. We can grow together, or grow apart. I've been extremely impressed with the turnaround St. George has done for ASA. In the earnings call on May 6th, Brad Rich said there are numerous int'l and domestic opportunities for growth. I'm cautiously optomistic about this. Especially for our reserve guys who've been on reserve 3 years. And of course to get our furloughees back.

Trojan

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back