No more “free pass” with FAA’s new DUI policy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"..photo in newspaper at a baseball game when you were "sick". "

Why can't I be at a baseball game when I am sick?

I'll be sick wherever I damn well please, Thank You.

I have a responsibility to call in sick if I am not fit to fly. That doesn't mean that I can't go to my kids baseball game with a pounding headache while running to the bathroom every 15 minutes.

I had a scheduler all flustered one day about ten years ago...I called in sick, out of base, on a layover in LAX. As soon as she confirmed me out sick I then asked her to get me set up to position home on the next flight back to base about an hour later. She freaked and said "You can't position, you're sick."

Same concept. I explained I could be sick wherever I chose to be sick, and in this case that was at home.

While I was not fit to fly as PIC I was able to sit in the back and sleep in between running back and forth to the lav.

Never heard a word about it.

Last edited:
"..photo in newspaper at a baseball game when you were "sick". "

Why can't I be at a baseball game when I am sick?

I'll be sick wherever I damn well please, Thank You.

I have a responsibility to call in sick if I am not fit to fly. That doesn't mean that I can't go to my kids baseball game with a pounding headache while running to the bathroom every 15 minutes.

I had a scheduler all flustered one day about ten years ago...I called in sick, out of base, on a layover in LAX. As soon as she confirmed me out sick I then asked her to get me set up to position home on the next flight back to base about an hour later. She freaked and said "You can't position, you're sick."

Same concept. I explained I could be sick wherever I chose to be sick, and in this case that was at home.

While I was not fit to fly as PIC I was able to sit in the back and sleep in between running back and forth to the lav.

Never heard a word about it.
Glad you've had success with that. You're the Norma Rae of Flightinfo.

Last edited:
What is wrong with drinking and driving? Me and my pilot buds do it all the time, that is why beer was invented. I buy beers at "Wedge" for pilots passing through Belleville. Secret never drink from a pitcher, only bottle and only one bottle per hour. Takes discipline, a lot of people don't have that.

One 12 oz bottle of beer/hr. should keep anyone under the limit, especially in Utah and Oklahoma (3.2%). Why do bars have parking lots?

If one is to believe MADD that they are not anti-alcohol, you have to wonder where their zeal is when it comes to mobile texting, eating or applying makeup while driving, the elderly with deteriorated senses, folks on prescription drugs and sleepy graveyard shift workers on the way home. Impairment is impairment, the penalties should be the same no matter what the cause.

The way it is now, a couple of glasses of wine at dinner can land one in jail if caught at a checkpoint, but drive exhausted, fall asleep and plow into a school bus and you will get a slap on the wrist in comparison.

Some parallels can be made in the flying biz. I am not advocating operating an aircraft or car after drinking alcohol, but all of the many forms of impairment should be considered.

Latest resources

Back