• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

No more “free pass” with FAA’s new DUI policy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't drink and drive. Now how in the hell are we going to get home? I try to use the boat if possible after partaking. It;s still safer to troll home then get on the highway. Since FAA and DMV have access to BUI's maybe I could lose my medical if I blow .15 with the Marine patrol trolling home. It's only two miles to our favorite tiki bar though so I should be safe. I guess we need a designated boater. Any kid could qualify. He could swim in their pool while we are listening to our favorite band. My 12 and 14 yr old grandkids always drive when they are here because they love it.

Spoken like people that do not get it. I just hope that one day you are not faced with some ugly event that requires the help of the HIMS program.

"Uncontrollable Bowel Action"

Read the medical bulletin.

"54-year-old commercial airline captain . . . with symptoms of persistant nausea but decided that he would still fly in the interest of not wanting to cancel a flight . . . shortly after reaching altitude . . . he passed out in his seat . . . upon awakening, he learned that he had vomited and lost control of his bowels . . .felt much better and cleaned himself up the best he could . . . [after landing] the captain indicated to his FO that he didn't feel the need to seek medical attention."

Fortunately, someone else felt he should and reported him.

FAA: "this airman should have recognized that he was potentially compromising his personal and flight safety by stepping into the aircraft . . . an airman is specifically prohibited from operating an aircraft with a known medical condition"

Maybe if pilots weren't docked pay, asked for dr's notes, and called onto the carpet for calling in sick, you wouldn't have pilots flying sick.

Never fly sick!

Last edited:
Read the medical bulletin.

"54-year-old commercial airline captain . . . with symptoms of persistant nausea but decided that he would still fly in the interest of not wanting to cancel a flight . . . shortly after reaching altitude . . . he passed out in his seat . . . upon awakening, he learned that he had vomited and lost control of his bowels . . .felt much better and cleaned himself up the best he could . . . [after landing] the captain indicated to his FO that he didn't feel the need to seek medical attention."

Fortunately, someone else felt he should and reported him.

FAA: "this airman should have recognized that he was potentially compromising his personal and flight safety by stepping into the aircraft . . . an airman is specifically prohibited from operating an aircraft with a known medical condition"

Maybe if pilots weren't docked pay, asked for dr's notes, and called onto the carpet for calling in sick, you wouldn't have pilots flying sick.

Never fly sick!
maybe if calling in sick when you were not sick did not happen on a regualr basis no one would need notes.

maybe if calling in sick when you were not sick did not happen on a regualr basis no one would need notes.

With that typing, despite your prior post alluding to your success at drinking without incident, I would suggest not driving today. Already drunk at 1? Combined with your level of senility and total lack of awareness to why someone who makes say 30 grand a year and is away from home 2/3 of the month may be chronically fatigued, needing a night off for a function they'd be unable to bid off (or their a$$nine manager has no sympathy to allow), if not indeed sick; I'm just amazed you still hold a medical.

Every company is faced with those who will take advantage of sick day policies. They can react in two ways.

They can establish a draconian policy of trying to catch those who aren't sick which will thereby drive up significantly the rate of those who are sick coming to work.

They can consider those who call in sick when they're not "acceptable losses" unless there is clear evidence of fraud (photo in newspaper at a baseball game when you were "sick").

Most find a middle ground between the two. In a safety oriented business, it is wise in the long run to favor the latter. As the Buffalo accident showed, both pilots stated they didn't feel well enough to be there but they showed up anyway.

Because the company decided not to put up with "acceptable losses" in a small number of pilots calling in sick when they weren't, they ended up with the unacceptable loss of all lives on board that aircraft. In the end, their losses (both moral and $) are going to be much greater than if they'd just had a no-fault, no-penalty sick leave policy. I'm sure those on the plane and their families wish the pilots had been fully rested and well.

Interesting how after the accident the company adopted one of the most liberal no questions asked sick and fatigue policies in the industry. If I'm not mistaken the CPs are prohibited from inquiring into a fatigue call any longer. Call it in, fill out an ASAP, go home. Unfortunately, it will take many more of these accidents for the FAA to make this an FAR, if ever.

Yes, there is going to some fraud. The beancounters hate it. But the alternative has been demonstrated. The beancounters have to be overruled by leadership, which is sorely lacking in the industry.

Last edited:
Because the company decided not to put up with "acceptable losses" in a small number of pilots calling in sick when they weren't, they ended up with the unacceptable loss of all lives on board that aircraft. In the end, their losses (both moral and $) are going to be much greater than if they'd just had a no-fault, no-penalty sick leave policy. I'm sure those on the plane and their families wish the pilots had been fully rested and well.

Well said.

Dont drink and drive and dont drink on layovers..... why is this hard for some people to get? A few beers is never worth a career.

Get over this non-drinking thing

Dont drink and drive and dont drink on layovers..... why is this hard for some people to get? A few beers is never worth a career.
It is not a career without a few beers, you only fly because it makes the first beer taste better.

Latest resources

Back