No flight instructing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
white knuckle said:
For the sake of the students you would be "instructing", if you don't desire to instruct, please don't.

best comment yet, the last CFI at the FBO I am currently working at was a real winner... and it showed through the many students that I picked up from him. There is a very large difference from people who put a little something into the job and those who just cram for hours.

Only way...

I am sorry but is flight instructing the only way to pay dues? Listening to most of you dumb fvcks it sounds like it is...

So I guess my...
PA-18 Banner Towing (June-Aug 2001)
C-172 Traffic Watch (July-Aug 2001)
C-172 / C-182 Aerial Mapping (Sept 2002 - June 2004)
C-210 FAR 135 IFR-PIC freight (Sept 2004 - Feb 2005)
C-310R FAR 135 IFR-PIC pax/freight (June 2005 - Present)

I guess I never paid any dues because I didn't want to get my CFI either. Instructing makes you book smart... Try Single Pilot Ops, will make you a better pilot, stick & rudder wise!

It is just going to go back and forth! CFI's are going to get defensive about instructing, and other pilots are going to get defensive about their decision to not instruct. There are benefits and drawbacks to BOTH paths. In this case, no one is ultimately right. So Capt. JD, let's not resort to name calling. If you have to post, try to post the reasons why you think that you made the right choice. Tell us about the benefits. I'm sure low time pilots who are seeking to build their time would appreciate it alot more than hearing someone rip on people who are CFI's. This goes for CFI's as well. We are pilots, let's keep it professional.

One of the most valuable things I learned while flight instructing was how to "read" people through subtle clues in the cockpit. You learn how to tell what someone is thinking about or what they aren't thinking about but should be.

These skills come in very handy in a multi pilot airplane.

I personally believe that that best training for becoming a captain of a multi pilot airplane is to instruct. The planes are different, the operations are different, and a captain doesn't need to teach like an instructor, but still the dynamics are very similiar.

The problem with skipping this step and going straight to an FO position (which is also an essential part of the learning process), is that you haven't had an opportunity to be "the buck stops here" decision maker responsible not only for an aircraft, but for another person as well.

Single pilot operations will certainly give you the chance to make lots of final decisions and that is very worthwhile too. But there is nothing like being responsible to another person to add gravity to those decisions.

TinGoose1 said:

The simple fact is that insurance requirements will prevent you from flying jobs that build quality bulk time. You won't build you time fast enough flying jumpers or ferrying aircraft for sales. Besides, most of the jumper planes I've seen have NAPA fuel lines and oil filters. As much as you will dislike instructing, it's really the only way that you can build quality time FAST. quote]

NOT True!! When I was flying jumpers, I was building time faster than all of my CFI buddies COMBINED. I routinely flew from sunrise to well after dark, shutting down only long enough to refuel. Lunch was eaten in the climb. I was logging PIC TURBINE. What is wrong with that, and is that not "quality time"? Be careful with the "only way" statements, especially in this business. There's lots of ways to get there...

Oh, and you're probably right about the jump planes, but that's good engine-out practice!:D

Last edited:
pilotyip said:
BTW CFIing will make you a better pilot. You have to pay your dues someplace, no way to avoid it.

Gotta agree with pilotyip on this one. I did not realize how little I knew until I started to teach. It also gives you confidence in situations later in your flying career.

After-all, CFI-ing is a good place to hang your hat while working on your B.A.!!! Sorry, yip, I could not resist! :)

G100 Nothing to be sorry about, fits in exactly with my train of thought, build flight time in a full time job while working on your BA/BS on the the side.

imacdog said:
I have not worked in Alaska but have talked with several employers up there. They considered my time in the Pacific NW and BC as valuable for insurance requirements. I also got the impression from them that many, if not most, flight schools in Alaska do not require Alaska flight time. There are also some 135 operators that do not require Alaska time, so I am sure someone who meets the 135 requirements could find work there with a little effort.

Wow that's new to me Most all my time is in the Pacific NW Ie: Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Western Montana

Latest resources

Back