No comment on ASA PBS LOA yet?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
He's using them as martyrs.

I think aircombat has made it abundantly clear that he supports killing the LOA NO MATTER HOW GOOD IT MAY BE. None of us will change his mind.

The important thing is he has now totally exposed the sole foundation of his argument. I think ANYBODY who is still giving valid consideration to how they will vote will understand that holding this LOA as ransom for a later gain instead of considering it on its own merit is a STUPID GAME to play with ones career.

Let me make it clear though. For those of you who read the agreement, go to a roadshow, and come to your own conclusion that you can't support it based on what's in it (its own merit), I respect you for that. I disagree with you, but at least you made an informed decision.

they will spend a lot less in 18 months of talks then they will if they have to pay for an improved PBS system, pay raises, and bonuses to all the pilots.

You guys are obviously wasting your time. You're arguing with a guy that freely admitted a few posts ago that he "knows nothing about contract negotiations," but here he is arguing about contract negotiations. He doesn't understand where leverage comes from, doesn't understand how the mediator looks at things, and doesn't understand how the NMB attempts to resolve cases. Quite simply, he's ignorant, and apparently has no desire to become informed.

Don't waste your time on him.

You guys are obviously wasting your time. You're arguing with a guy that freely admitted a few posts ago that he "knows nothing about contract negotiations," but here he is arguing about contract negotiations. He doesn't understand where leverage comes from, doesn't understand how the mediator looks at things, and doesn't understand how the NMB attempts to resolve cases. Quite simply, he's ignorant, and apparently has no desire to become informed.

Don't waste your time on him.

Good again with the intimidation. It’s worked for you before so why not. I didn’t say I know nothing so that’s a miss quote, however what should I expect from a union guy. Sadly you make it sound like I know more than you.

I think aircombat has made it abundantly clear that he supports killing the LOA NO MATTER HOW GOOD IT MAY BE. None of us will change his mind.

The important thing is he has now totally exposed the sole foundation of his argument. I think ANYBODY who is still giving valid consideration to how they will vote will understand that holding this LOA as ransom for a later gain instead of considering it on its own merit is a STUPID GAME to play with ones career.

Let me make it clear though. For those of you who read the agreement, go to a roadshow, and come to your own conclusion that you can't support it based on what's in it (its own merit), I respect you for that. I disagree with you, but at least you made an informed decision.

I do plan to attend a roadshow however it will be taken with a grain of salt. We are already aware that the union is going to be completely biased on this. If the union wanted to convince me that they are impartial then they need to assign a union official to debate the negative side of this LOA. That won’t happen thou. We have seen this before. All cons will have to be solicited by regular pilots and to think we will be able to find even the majority of the faults in a system that none of us are familiar with is a pipedream. The few faults that are exposed will be downplayed, ignored, or the subject changed by the salesman on the soapbox.

When are we going to be given this LOA? We have trouble understanding some things in the line bidding contracts and PBS is totally new. This sales tactic is going to be filled with flat out lies, half truths, exaggerations, down plays, smoke and mirrors, intimidation, and false promises. People will be hesitant to even speak up if they find a fault because they will become belittled. We have seen that as well. I don’t know how you expect to leave a roadshow with a completely informed, impartial view. Only a handful will even read the LOA so they will be given an injustice by being subject the this one sided rhetoric.

So holding PBS ransom until section 6 is a stupid game? We should just pass the ball to the other side of the court because we are afraid. We have no remorse about voting pilots jobs away but god forbid we use PBS to our advantage in section 6.

They still have to keep the same amount of people on the payroll, due to the no-furlough clause. Plus, name one airline in the history of the industry that has shrunk to profitability. Do you understand what happens when an airline shrinks? Have you ever studied the history of our industry?

Most of the majors have been shrinking to profitability for some time now. PBS requires less pilots so we will save money if we shrink or grow.

I find your support for our furlough pilots noble, but why do you seem to value the 156 furloughed over the 1500 active pilots? Are you yourself furloughed?

As one PBS supporter pointed out earlier. This does not really save the company that much so to think this might end the company is ridiculous. I hope you are not eluding that PBS might favor all 1500 pilots schedule wise because we all know that's not the case. and yes I would take a slightly less flexible schedule in order not to dissolve peoples jobs.

Aircombat is not going to go to a road show and "take it with a grain of salt". He has made up his mind and continues to argue like he knows what he is saying even though many others who have actually been in the process continue to shoot his arguments down. Shrinking to profitibility is the stupidest thing in the business world, especially for an airline. (ask ANY business educator why that is bad).
PBS aside and what PBS will or won't do to grow or shrink the company, there are really good improvements that I have seen in the LOA. For anyone who has had to deal with reserve for the past few years there are VAST improvements to that section. Hate red arrow days? The system will improve that. Hate 4 days? There will only be 60% of them AT MOST. ASA has no control at how the days will be constructed. That will be Flightline's computers and your preferences relating to seniority all filtered through this industry leading PBS language.
You want to know the "bad" about the deal. Actually TALK to a union rep who worked on this. They will tell you. They're not trying to hide anything.

Aircombat is not going to go to a road show and "take it with a grain of salt". He has made up his mind and continues to argue like he knows what he is saying even though many others who have actually been in the process continue to shoot his arguments down. Shrinking to profitibility is the stupidest thing in the business world, especially for an airline. (ask ANY business educator why that is bad).
PBS aside and what PBS will or won't do to grow or shrink the company, there are really good improvements that I have seen in the LOA. For anyone who has had to deal with reserve for the past few years there are VAST improvements to that section. Hate red arrow days? The system will improve that. Hate 4 days? There will only be 60% of them AT MOST. ASA has no control at how the days will be constructed. That will be Flightline's computers and your preferences relating to seniority all filtered through this industry leading PBS language.
You want to know the "bad" about the deal. Actually TALK to a union rep who worked on this. They will tell you. They're not trying to hide anything.

I keep having words put in my mouth that I haven’t said. First I never said this isn’t a good PBS system, it might be. I don’t know how you guys have read this LOA, where is it? Secondly I haven’t said that the Union officials are not more experienced at this, I believe they are. Unfortunately they are the same as all of you and are going to look out for number one. I don’t know what their alternative motive is, but from my position it appears that they must get some benefits from having a drawn out section 6 negotiation.

With a Grain of Salt (definition)

"You should take what you hear and evaluate it on your own, don't take it for being the truth or correct. The phrase is usually used when a person it giving you the 'low down' on what another person has told you. It is a warning that what that person has said, or may say, is not necessarily correct and accurate."

Shrinking to profitability has been the popular buisness model lately. The
recession doesn't help. What do you want them to do grow out of profitability. Are these layoffs just a figment of my imagination?
Less planes, less pilots = fuller planes, more profit.

Latest resources

Back