Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DornierPilot

Doing my part...
For anyone that is interested, here is a recently published explanation from ALPA Leadership as to why those of us at FedEx are frustrated with the ability to reciprocate jumpseat access. Please let your fellow crewmembers know the truth about this when the subject comes up.

Thanks!

I. CASS and Interline Jumpseats

Let’s say you are a commuter based in Memphis trying to get to MEM in time to pay crash pad bills, do a little clean-up after your buddies and get adequate rest before your trip. Let’s say that, for whatever convenience it serves, you want to use a jumpseat on another airline to get to work. And then let’s say that you are approaching the airport with a little more reservation than the last time because of the "cold" reception that last Captain gave you when you were asking for that ride a couple of weeks back.

Yeah, he gave you the ride. But he also, out of some understandable frustration, wanted to know, from you, "What’s up with FedEx reciprocating?" Well, this is what’s up…

In May of this year the V.P. of Labor Relations wrote a letter to our Negotiating Committee Chair. In it he expressed that…

1) The Company was in negotiations with ARINC concerning the purchase and use of the Cockpit Access Security System (CASS). CASS is a U.S. government approved program for pilots of participating U.S. airlines to use to gain access to the cockpit jumpseats of participating U.S. airlines.

2) The Company was "not certain" how long implementation of CASS would take after those negotiations were done but that, barring "unexpected intervening events", the Company planned on reinstating offline jumpseats by October 1, 2004.

3) It was the Company’s intention to allow offline jumpseaters aft of the hardened doors only, not in the cockpit, despite the intent of CASS.

4) And, additionally, that reinstatement of offline jumpseaters would be contingent on, "… a peaceful and uneventful transition in the reinstatement of personal jumpseats for our own employees."

On June 3, 2004 a response letter was sent by our Negotiating Committee Chair, speaking for the Negotiating Committee and MEC, to the V.P. of Labor Relations. In part, it read, "First of all and most importantly, we view Offline Jumpseats as an integral part of our overall jumpseat program, substantiated by past practice, and Contractually guaranteed. In the era of increased security brought on by our country’s ongoing war effort, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and Transportation Security Administration (TSA) have instituted the Cockpit Access Security System (CASS). The purpose of CASS is to enable airlines to positively identify (on a real-time basis) cockpit crewmembers from other airlines so that they might be granted cockpit access for the purpose of jumpseating. Jumpseating, as you may or may not know, is a long-standing prerequisite of the airline piloting profession. It is an important means by which airline pilots travel to and from work assignments, and furthermore is a professional courtesy, proudly granted by one professional pilot to another. Offline jumpseating is usually a back-up means of travel and therefore most often accomplished with minimal lead time."

As this is written on November 19, the following airlines have CASS in place… UPS, American, American Eagle, Alaska, Northwest, United, Continental and Horizon. Despite a "peaceful" summer of reinstating personal FedEx employee passengers on our aircraft, we still have nothing. We have no CASS and despite the fact that CASS is not a requirement in the industry for offline jumpseaters outside of the cockpits, our management seems intent on dismissing that possibility.

To summarize, offline jumpseats at FedEx have been, 1) contingent on CASS, 2) hostage to "good behavior", and 3) denied in the meantime, outside of the cockpits, because of a corporate philosophy. All of the requirements for "peaceful" personal jumpseats have been met. PIC authority, which some factions of our corporate management have been loathe to acknowledge, has been exercised with discretion and good judgment. If 8 airlines can manage to be in CASS, FedEx Express should be able to do the same.

We know that a pilot jumpseater is not the same as a passenger in the eyes of the regulatory authorities, that being in a positive sense, acknowledging the credentials, screening, background checks and professional status that differentiate airline pilots from other passengers. Unfortunately, our corporate management is of a different mindset, for whatever reason(s).

So, when you ask that Northwest Captain for a ride and he bristles, you can relate some of this to him. We do not have reciprocal offline jumpseats because our management has deemed it so.

Last edited:
It's not money, it's not regulatory, it's not impossible.

It all boils down to the same thing every time:

CONTROL

173 Days and counting:​

One More Day Of Retro Pay

Thanks for the rides

As a commuter for FDX, I want to thank all those Captains that have given me a ride to work/home. FDX has a great many commuters so I think the pressure for recipocal jumpseats will remain. However, it may not be until the contract is complete that we can give you a ride in return. Thanks again, rip

Not that I carry many fedex pilots, but I would not hold this against you. Sometimes management moves at glacial pace and not much can be done about that.

While my airline allows multiple jumpseaters, some airlines still do not. While that is perhaps annoying, I also realize that in most cases, it is not because of the pilots at said airline. Could they push the issue a bit, perhaps, but I am sure many have plenty on their plate right now.

Which reminds me, General, now that you accepted the paycut, did you get multiple jumpseats in return:)

You can add one more airline to the list that has CASS. JetBlue has met all technical, procedural and CSA training requirments. We have been ready to turn on the CASS system for a few weeks, and are just waiting for the gov't approval to do so. It is expected in a matter of days. Our jumpseat committee has been working wonders on this program. Additionally our senior leadership (Pres., Sr VP Operations, VP Operations - D3+A) have all been very personally and passionately involved to get this available, since they know how incredibily important it is for the pilots. Says alot about them doesn't it!

The goal has always been to get it online before the holiday rush impacts a commuter's ability to get a seat. Since the holidays begin this week, expect the turnon soon. Combine this with the fact that we have two jumpseats in the back, that will mean we will have a total of 4 jumpseats available on every flight.

By the way, to my knowledge only American, Alaska, Horizon and UPS actually have CASS turned on. Continential and United are still working on it. I think Delta pilots put CASS implementation into their TA for an effective date sometime in 2005.

Skirt

Skirt,

Could you please have your people call my people and convince them that CASS is just as important for FedEx as it is for the other air carriers!

Thanks,

If someone gets in your face about it, you can tactfully point out that we ain't the first to have this problem.

Many carriers (including NWA and DAL, to name a few) went without offline jumpseat rights for many years. Back then THEY had to relay on the unreciprocated kindness of others.

I personally drive 5 hours to work rather than ride offline. I had an RJ FO get ugly about it one time. The thing is - I sorta agreed with him. My last employer was an all-cargo 121 carrier, and we had offline jumpseaters back on board the March after 911. Sure, they had to stay behind the door, but that's what we're talking about here....

IMHO...Its just one more bargining chip the company can use during negotiations that they refuse to give up without something in return. Nothing more or less. Unfortunately I have a feeling that Fred isn't going to allow it until after everything is finalized.

Thank you SWA pilots for being so gracious and making it soo easy to get to and from work for free. When I do have to buy a ticket I am a loyal customer.

PurpleTail said:
Thank you SWA pilots for being so gracious and making it soo easy to get to and from work for free. When I do have to buy a ticket I am a loyal customer.

AMEN! (from a UPS guy)

Must add a hearty thanks a million to all those who don't turn us FedEx guys down at the gate. I hope we can eventually get it worked out. I know a lot of NWA guys will be glad when it happens (and some SWA folks out in OAK trying to get back east in the middle of the night!!!)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back