Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

no 4 year degree.....deal breaker or not?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fed Ex, Delta, Continental all require a 4 year degree. I think UPS in that group too. While I agree not necessary to be a pilot, it is needed to even get the interview at many good companies. Why would you want to limit your career choices?

I was at the Job Fair in Vegas and during the AirTran presentation the chief pilot specifically said that if you don't have a 4 year degree it hurts quite a bit in their new points system to judge applicants.

whoa, thanks guys. Lots of replies in a short time!

CX880.... My degree Is from a college in Australia. Basically you can either choose to do your Commercial and ATP subjects with other courses thrown in like morse code and basic GA aircraft maintenance. If you choose to do all the other subjects not related to aviation in addition to your licenses it is a 4 year degree.

I chose to go the 2 year route so I could get out and work faster.

a lot of corporate flight departments like them. this CP i used to fly with said he'd always hire someone with a degree over someone with out. as its been said already its not required for a job but extremely important for a career.

here I am

where is pilotyip at
The college degree has nothing to do with flying an airplane. Many have posted they agree it has nothing to do with the mastering on an airplane. I have admitted that the possession of a degree may open doors at a few select places of employment in the airline industry. If a potential pilot feels they will only be pleased in life if they get an interview with FedEx, then that prospective pilot should go to college. If a prospective pilots just loves flying airplanes, and would be happy making $70-$100K per year with no debt from college loans, a college degree is not necessary. Many prospective pilots may be steered into attending college when they are not college material, not because of a lack basic intelligence, but because it is not important to them. These pilots want to get on with their lives flying airplanes. I have seen too many non-degreed pilots reach a good career position with out a degree. If you have the flight time to get hired at a regional, the lack of the 4 yr degree should not be a show stopper. My advice is go to school on-line and fly, pilots get hired because they have flight time. Flt time moves you up the food chain to better jobs; the degree is not needed until the last step. You cannot build real flight time while going to school full time. I have seen non-degreed guys go to the Nationals in their mid-20’s. I guess we are getting very politically correct and having an option different that someone else’s is not allowed. I continually see the “If you do not have college degree you are not as good as me” I can not accept that, I just too many people who I admire who do not have degrees.

Last edited:
I was at the Job Fair in Vegas and during the AirTran presentation the chief pilot specifically said that if you don't have a 4 year degree it hurts quite a bit in their new points system to judge applicants.

How many points does one lose when they say on the internet that they never have wanted to work for ValuJet?

What the degree does is it shows the ability to commit to something and the ability to learn.

I know here at DAL 3.0 in a Bachelor's degree is generally their cut off. They have hired guys with GPA's in the sub three range but with good reason.

Last time I checked CAL does not require one but good luck getting on without one. I know many that were shut out for that reason there.

A degree is not required to learn the job, but an aptitude is. The best way for a prospective employer to gauge your aptitude is to see a undergrad degree and good marks. It takes a lot of the guess work out.

I would suggest getting a undergrad degree, and one that is not in aviation. Go for business, or another degree in an IT related field.

Many good airlines do not require them. LUV for example does not, but to broaden your chances in this market, having one is a must. Add to it if you ever want to do union or company work it is a must. (Not talking about LCA duties)

just get the degree already

Although PilotYIP is technically correct, (you don't actually need a degree to fly an airplane) his advice is very limited.

Meaning, if you take it, your career options are very, very, very limited.

MOST carriers out there where you'd like to end up require a degree. Plain and simple. YES, there is the occasional guy or gal who gets hired on at a major without one, but that's a one-in-a-million chance. When 99% of the applicants have a degree, all other considerations equal, who would YOU choose? The guy WITH the degree or WITHOUT?

PilotYIP made a good career for himself without a degree, and hats off to him. However, I've run into far more pilots wishing they had their 4 year degree (re: lost opportunities) than pilots who were happy without.

When I was flying at ASA I flew with more than one guy who was busy finishing up his 4 year degree during the layovers, just so he can progress up the ladder.

You would be well advised to do the same.

Latest resources

Back