Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

no 4 year degree.....deal breaker or not?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
pleeaasee

What the degree does is it shows the ability to commit to something and the ability to learn.
art you stating that ONLY college can show the ability to fulfill a commitment? That completion of the Army's flight training program for a high school grad, proves nothing, that getting your A & P certificate proves nothing. Anyone can complete a college degree there are pay your fee, get your B places all over the country.

I was hired at ASA without a degree. I was 3/4 of the way through it and I do have it now but at DOH I did not have one.

I was hired at ASA without a degree. I was 3/4 of the way through it and I do have it now but at DOH I did not have one.

Again, driving home my point. ASA does not require a degree. MOST regionals do not. And if all you want to do is fly Barbie Jets for the rest of your life, then that's great.

But NTB got his degree, and I BET I know the reason- because without one he'd be stuck at the regional lever forever.

NBT, am I right?

art you stating that ONLY college can show the ability to fulfill a commitment? That completion of the Army's flight training program for a high school grad, proves nothing, that getting your A & P certificate proves nothing. Anyone can complete a college degree there are pay your fee, get your B places all over the country.

No, absolutely not. But in the unfortunate reality that we're living in today, a 4-year degree is the DE FACTO litmus test of one's commitment. Right or wrong, it's what everybody is looking for.

Me? I got out of the USMC as a Sgt, in under 4 years. Now THAT's commitment! But as far as hiring is concerned, without the degree, it means nothing.

Army flight training is great, an A&P is great, and should the day come when airlines start looking at those qualifications, then great! But right now, and for the immediate foreseeable future, most of the majors don't care about that. They WANT to see a 4-year degree.

So just get it!

(hint- you don't even have to be sober all the time to get one! ahh, how I miss my college days...)

Your arguments are contrary to the established requirements and practices of most Legacies and major carriers. They make the rules--not anyone on this board.

Having said that, the rules get relaxed when the supply dwindles. In fact, from what I have heard, UAL hired applicants to be pilots that did not even have pilot licences back in the early 60's. However, most had college degrees and passed aptitude tests designed to screen their ability to be trained as a pilot. It is all based on supply and demand.

Seniority is everything. Getting hired sooner than later should be any pilot's goal. If having a college degree is required, then those who have one will always be considered first, and depending on supply and demand, maybe the only ones considered. If supply dwindles, then those who do not have a college degreee will only be considered after there are only few standing in line with the degree. Fair? They set the requirements, and can do what they want. I do tend to believe that having the degree demonstrates far more about someone that has one than someone who does not have one. Flying an airplane is sometimes a secondary consideration, as most people with average and above intelligence at least have the probability to have success in a training scenario. Most airlines are not necessarily looking for the most skilled pilots--how do you measure that in quantatative terms? Military pilots are considered to have demonstrated the skills and ability at a high level. But most, except in the army, have a college degree also.

We can argue all day about whether or not a college degree actually indicates any thing of substance about someone's character and/or intellect. What is indisputable is that more opportunities in aviation are available if you have a degree. Period. Get your degree.

I also agree with YIP. The typical prospective pilot puts the cart before the horse. They get their degree and then start flying. That puts them at a 4 year disadvantage in experience to the guy that starts flying for money first and then gets their degree.

Get your ratings.
Start flying for pay.
Get your degree while flying for pay.
Land your dream job.
Get furloughed. (Sorry, couldn't resist)

Those who have one will say you need one, those who don't will say you do not need one.

...get one...

in something else. Majors that want one, don't care what it's in... learn something else so when/if a furlough comes along, you can go do something else. Make it interesting so you'll enjoy earning it. You'll be proud of yourself and so will your kids if you have them.

pilotyp's views are outdated and not realistic for today's standard. He keeps talking about back in the day when you could get into the Army Air Corps with a high school education. College degrees now are like opinions, everyone has them. They're probably close to making drive-thru 4 year degrees now if the science is available. Just get it, don't even look at it from a job perspective but a personal betterment perspective, open your eyes there's more to life than positive rate gear up. I know a few people at the majors and they said personally that you won't get looked at without a 4 year degree, because a degree symbolizes the leap from a blue collar job to a white collar job which everyone at the higher level is trying to maintain that's why the requirement.

I a high skool gradutate,make about 55 a year flying freight and try to help the guys I know with 4 year degrees find a job.

Latest resources

Back