• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NMD at ASA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How would this cost the company any more than if the pilot called in sick for the whole pairing??? In theory, split pairings can save the company. If the pairing is split before the pilot calls in sick, the company has paid out less in sick time and used the reserve less (allowing him to be available for other assignments)

Why, as a pilot group, are we always willing to allow the reserves to get the shaft. Why is the value of a reserve pilot always so much less than the value of line holding pilot? Who are you willing to sell out next? DTW pilots? IAD pilots? Anyone but you, right?

If you fly your whole trip, you get block or 3.75, whichever is greater. If you drop the RT and someone picks it up, they get block, and you are deducted block. That way it is a wash as far as cost to the company.

If the person picking up the trip got 3.75 or block, it would increase the cost to the company vs if the original pilot had just flown the original pairing. (They drop 2 hrs, and are deducted 2 hrs, but the guy picking it up gets paid 3.75, which COSTS 1.75)

Clear as mud?

That's why a reserve who gets assigned the pairing gets only block. Otherwise the company would NEVER have agreed to you being able to drop part of your pairing.

Pick your poison.

Btw, I was on reserve for 2 years. This is a seniority based industry, and schedules/pay get better over time. Like is said, we have to prioritize.

If you fly your whole trip, you get block or 3.75, whichever is greater. If you drop the RT and someone picks it up, they get block, and you are deducted block. That way it is a wash as far as cost to the company.

If the person picking up the trip got 3.75 or block, it would increase the cost to the company vs if the original pilot had just flown the original pairing. (They drop 2 hrs, and are deducted 2 hrs, but the guy picking it up gets paid 3.75, which COSTS 1.75)

Clear as mud?

That's why a reserve who gets assigned the pairing gets only block. Otherwise the company would NEVER have agreed to you being able to drop part of your pairing.

Pick your poison.

Btw, I was on reserve for 2 years. This is a seniority based industry, and schedules/pay get better over time. Like is said, we have to prioritize.
and how much does it cost to dead head people once every week? They don't seem to be losing too much money with that. And as you pointed out earlier it isn't going to happen that often.
Some day maybe pilots will realize that we don't get paid enough to be the financial burden that they want to believe we are.

and how much does it cost to dead head people once every week? They don't seem to be losing too much money with that. And as you pointed out earlier it isn't going to happen that often.
Some day maybe pilots will realize that we don't get paid enough to be the financial burden that they want to believe we are.

"Soft costs" (deadheads) are at the top of the list of things to cut.

My point is that we have to choose if we want to be able to drop trips or not. I vote for dropping trips, personally.

Come up with a solution where the reserves don't get burdened with this pay problem or drop the whole split pairing concept is my vote.

"Soft costs" (deadheads) are at the top of the list of things to cut.

My point is that we have to choose if we want to be able to drop trips or not. I vote for dropping trips, personally.
and what exactly are you trying to accomplish by nickel and diming your fellow pilots? If you are going to say growth then save your breath because if pilot pay is a major contributing factor in negotiating future growth we will lose no matter what. That's the reality of being a senior airline.

and what exactly are you trying to accomplish by nickel and diming your fellow pilots? If you are going to say growth then save your breath because if pilot pay is a major contributing factor in negotiating future growth we will lose no matter what. That's the reality of being a senior airline.

I'm not doing anything. I'm just sharing my opinion on why it won't fly.

I do think one of our major challenges is how senior our pilot group is. That makes it very difficult for us to compete with other airlines who make life miserable for pilots, and are therefore relatively junior.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back