• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NMD at ASA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How are NMD pairing even showing up for reserves? Did somebody pick one up, then call in sick for it?

So let's say a pilot splits up a trip, then calls in sick for it. Technically the company didn't "initiate" the split. Hope that's not another one of those loopholes big enough to drive a truck through.

Gosh-

That all sounds sooooo familiar. Palm pointed out the need for "concrete language." This agreement is a mess. Probably just another loophole which will be exploited to the max.

-Durn... Where the heck have I heard all this talk about crap language before? Hmmm....

Last edited:
Joe we should always fight for better! Regional pilots should work more self respect.

It is tough to fight when you are wasting so much energy tooting your own horn.

-If this place had a parade, they would have to dedicate the lead float to Joe. He is simply that awesome!

Last edited:
Got a call about this little jewel yesterday, NMD on a reserve schedule. It means no min day credit for a reserve pilot. Part of the PBS agreement. It's one thing when a line holder picks up a trip that he/she knows is not worth min day but for a res guy to get assigned that while struggling to break 75 is pretty crappy.

I normally agree on things like this, but in this case, I have to respectfully disagree.

The reason we have the ability to drop portions of trips is that it doesn't cost the company extra money. That has always been the argument. "If pilot X wants to fly my last round trip, what can't they? It doesn't cost any money."

Well, if a reserve pilot is assigned a round trip that was split off of a pairing, then it DOES cost the company money if they are then also paid min guarantee. Therefore the company will just say, "Fine, no more dropping portions of trips." if we keep complaining about this.

I would rather have the ability to drop portions of trips. I'm sure this doesn't happen terribly often. 4 things have to happen for a reserve to get the short end of the stick.

1. A line pilot has to split off part of his pairing that is worth less than 3.75.
2. Another line pilot has to pick it up.
3. That line pilot has to call in sick afterwards.
4. A reserve pilot has to get assigned the pairing AND NOTHING ELSE. (Otherwise they go over 3.75, most likely, and the point is moot.)

Let's not fight this fight, because the result will be not being able to split pairings anymore, and that affects more people's QOL.

Gosh-

That all sounds sooooo familiar. Palm pointed out the need for "concrete language." This agreement is a mess. Probably just another loophole which will be exploited to the max.

-Durn... Where the heck have I heard all this talk about crap language before? Hmmm....

We will never get better language in a contract as long as we have nearly illiterate southern negotiators.
When I was complaining back in 2009 about the loose language in this contract all they could say was “What do you know about contract negotiations?” I’ll admit that I don’t know much about contracts however our ALPA negotiators are all novice compared to the hired professionals that management uses. Why can’t we hire negotiators that know what they are doing and don’t have conflicting interests.

I normally agree on things like this, but in this case, I have to respectfully disagree.

Well, if a reserve pilot is assigned a round trip that was split off of a pairing, then it DOES cost the company money if they are then also paid min guarantee. Therefore the company will just say, "Fine, no more dropping portions of trips." if we keep complaining about this.

I would rather have the ability to drop portions of trips. I'm sure this doesn't happen terribly often. 4 things have to happen for a reserve to get the short end of the stick.

Let's not fight this fight, because the result will be not being able to split pairings anymore, and that affects more people's QOL.

Spoken like a typical senior commuter who has spent less than 6 months on reserve the entire time at ASA.

The reason we have the ability to drop portions of trips is that it doesn't cost the company extra money. That has always been the argument. "If pilot X wants to fly my last round trip, what can't they? It doesn't cost any money."

1. A line pilot has to split off part of his pairing that is worth less than 3.75.
4. A reserve pilot has to get assigned the pairing AND NOTHING ELSE. (Otherwise they go over 3.75, most likely, and the point is moot.)

Let's not fight this fight, because the reWsult will be not being able to split pairings anymore, and that affects more people's QOL.

How would this cost the company any more than if the pilot called in sick for the whole pairing??? In theory, split pairings can save the company. If the pairing is split before the pilot calls in sick, the company has paid out less in sick time and used the reserve less (allowing him to be available for other assignments)

Why, as a pilot group, are we always willing to allow the reserves to get the shaft. Why is the value of a reserve pilot always so much less than the value of line holding pilot? Who are you willing to sell out next? DTW pilots? IAD pilots? Anyone but you, right?

Last edited:
Thank u. Would it be ok to lose to get no min day for day one to the overnight, then no min day for the leg home? It's not just the last round trip.

You're not even close....there are a number of ways this can happen. A line pilot can pick apart any trip in opentime. That trip then is coded as NMND. Multiple pilots can do this to the same trip.....anything left over gets assigned to reserves as NMND. Sick calls are another area. Any operational delay can also force a reserve to be assigned the remainder of somebody else's trip...whether it's NMND or not.

Thank u. Would it be ok to lose to get no min day for day one to the overnight, then no min day for the leg home? It's not just the last round trip.

Holy crap! Is this the kind of thing that the commercial in 80's was talking about when it said drug use would fry your brain like an egg in a frying pan??? What the heck man?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back