NJI Questions?????????????

N163SS

New member
Joined
Oct 25, 2005
Posts
1
Total Time
lots
Greetings All,

Just got a call from Kelly for an interview on NOV11.

1. Any interview gouge?

2. Which aircraft 4, 5, BBJ, do they offer you a specific aircraft or just what they need for the moment, or do they give you a choice?

3. Any NJI guys know Shane Eyer or Steve Thompson? How to contact?

4. I'm currently with DAL, 9 years, but looking to jump off the sinking ship before it's to late. I'm hoping to find something better, but after reading some of the posts here, it looks like it could be more of the same at NJI or is it just NJA? Any input or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.


Thanks in advance,
Bob
 
Last edited:

Cavpilot

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 26, 2001
Posts
249
Bob,
Congrats on the interview, I wish you well. I am an an NJA guy so I don't have any interview gouge for you. I can tell you a couple of things though:

1. The BBJ is an NJA aircraft. NJI only flys G-IVs, G-Vs and any derivative thereof.

2. Don't believe most of what you read on this board. I assure you that things are not nearly as bad as they sound at NJA, nor are relations between NJA and NJI pilots nearly as contentious as what they appear here in anonymous land.
 

be-400xpdriver

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 1, 2005
Posts
366
Total Time
4000
If you dont want to jump from one sinking ship to another dont work for nji. Unless you want to be stapled to the bottom of the nja list in 3 years. Why not just get it over and send your resume to nja.
 

2EASYPilot

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 6, 2002
Posts
246
Total Time
Lot's
Wow....it did not take long for this tread to get sticky !!! If the three year thing really happens I think I would look elswhere and avoid the union. Not all of us need a union to look after our futures....got the nomex on and waiting for the flames (-_-).
 

psysicx

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 14, 2003
Posts
2,252
Total Time
-----
I just don't see them typing someone in a Gulfstream and then putting them on a Beechjet.
 

Spooky 1

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 28, 2004
Posts
987
Total Time
Some
N163SS said:
Greetings All,

Just got a call from Kelly for an interview on NOV11.

1. Any interview gouge?

2. Which aircraft 4, 5, BBJ, do they offer you a specific aircraft or just what they need for the moment, or do they give you a choice?

3. Any NJI guys know Shane Eyer or Steve Thompson? How to contact?

4. I'm currently with DAL, 9 years, but looking to jump off the sinking ship before it's to late. I'm hoping to find something better, but after reading some of the posts here, it looks like it could be more of the same at NJI or is it jsut NJA? Any input or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.


Thanks in advance,
Bob

Good luck on your interview. I had a friend go through in the last 90 days. also former DAL and did not make the cut. Very sharp and great guy but did know anyone on the inside which apparently is worth a lot at NJI. PM me and I will see if I can put him in contact with you if you want to discuss the interview process. Also know a guy with all the Gulfstream ratings that did not make the cut either. Nothing is as it seems sometimes.
 

Heavy Set

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 28, 2002
Posts
2,277
Total Time
15,000
psysicx said:
I just don't see them typing someone in a Gulfstream and then putting them on a Beechjet.

They type people on the Falcon 2000 as FOs and they later bid the Beechjet or Ultra for command slots. I don't see much of a difference...
 

psysicx

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 14, 2003
Posts
2,252
Total Time
-----
But that is taking 5 years so the investment is there. Even if they do, do you think somebody who was thinking he was going to fly a Gulfstream for 20 yrs and then gets sent to the right seat of a Beechjet is going to be happy? My bet says he will walk.
 

Heavy Set

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 28, 2002
Posts
2,277
Total Time
15,000
psysicx said:
But that is taking 5 years so the investment is there. Even if they do, do you think somebody who was thinking he was going to fly a Gulfstream for 20 yrs and then gets sent to the right seat of a Beechjet is going to be happy? My bet says he will walk.

The pay increase upon conversion to PIC will probably help with retention. Not all Gulfstream drivers would go to the Beechjet or Ultra. Who knows, some might wait and bid the Excel or G150 when it becomes available straight from the GWhizz. But why would you wait when you could make more as a PIC?

I presume some would bid the BBJ as FO just to get the type rating and then apply to Southwest...
 

NJIG4Driver

Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2002
Posts
14
Total Time
7000+
Very nice!

It continues to amaze me how quickly the vultures who frequent this board will pounce on some fresh meat. I'll be happy to answer some questions for N163SS. I'll PM you. There are only a few people who know how they plan to have this whole thing play out. I'm not one of them. Guess what...nobody else that posts here is either! Pure speculation no matter how "connected" they claim to be. Time will tell.
 

Just Peachy

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 17, 2002
Posts
189
Total Time
28,000
Nji...

I now have two friends at NJI... BOTH were rejected on the first interview process.... One has been there 4 years and the other 1 year. Both kept in touch with NJI. The one year pilot accepted a job at NJA and was hired off the street as a captain. After about 2 yrs, he was able to transfer to NJI... and thats pretty ironic as it looks like NJA will be infiltrating NJI and in 3 years (more or less) some kinda merger will take place, (per the new contract..if it passes).

If you have an interview with NJI dont give up if rejected.... keep plowing ahead. I have been told, we, at NJA have had several pilots jump the fence to NJI, although I personally only know of one.

NJA is hiring and will be hiring several hundred (400 to 500) over the next 12 months, talk to them about it. You can always turn 'em down if offered a slot.
 

gutshotdraw

ZERT Wilson CQB User
Joined
May 6, 2005
Posts
3,226
Total Time
9000
163SS

Take the interview and do your best. 400XP doesn't know what he's writing about.

Three years after date of signing, IBT 1108 can petition the NMB for a single carrier declaration.

Santulli will fight it and it will take a minimum of 4 years from now before anything is settled. Even if single carrier is declared, IBT 1108 controls the integration and it must be in an "equitable" fashion. That won't be straight date of hire which would be the fairest, but it won't be staple either. "Gee, let's have 300 pissed off new members in our union right when we're trying to negotiate a new contract."

In the meantime, NJA pilots can come over 1 of three new captains on GIV ONLY and 1 of two new F/O's on GIV ONLY. Captains will be seat locked for FOUR years and F/O's for THREE years. Once you have a position in the Gulfstream, you cannot be displaced from the equipment even if someone senior to you wants the seat. If a seat isn't open, nobody gets it. That's the way it is now at NJA and that's the way it would be IF a merger occurs.

There is some other stuff in the side agreement regarding "virtual seniority numbers" and "retreat rights." Basically, anyone who gets to a GIV or GIV seat prior to a full merger will stay in that seat until the equipment goes away and then-and only then-will they have to re-bid and drop back to other equipment based on their new integrated seniority number.
 

cl604driver

ICE MAN
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Posts
99
Total Time
7100
I just got to throw in my 2 cents. Do you NJA guys really think that you are going to merge with NJI. Come on get real, these guys want no part of you, nor your union, and I am sure once the TA is ratified evenif it gets ratified they will make some changes to the NJI clause. Why would they want to be unionized with you guys. Do you really think that if they merge a ultra captain is going to be making G pay, I dont think so. At the end of the day that is the only reason you want the 2 companies together is because nji makes better pay and you want a piece of the pie. Dont blame you but, i am sorry you cant compare those twin cessnas and beechjunks to a GIV or GV. The NJI guys may not tell you this but that is the word in all the FBOs.
 

Guitar Guy

Charvel - San Dimas
Joined
Oct 14, 2004
Posts
1,770
Total Time
Enough
The situation is not "merging" with NJI at some point, but rather filing a single-carrier petition. That is contained in the proposed TA and the petition can filed 3 years after ratification.

And the idea wasn't to have "Ultra captains making G pay". The goal is to have scope protection for the union members. I think you can understand how important a good scope clause would be, just look at the mainline 121 pilots.

There's also a lot of history, too, behind the NJI situation that would best be addressed by someone with more time at NJA. Suffice it to say, the issue is far more complex than simply getting "G" pay.
 

cl604driver

ICE MAN
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Posts
99
Total Time
7100
It is all about the money, because from what i have read and heard the NJI guys want NO part of your UNION at all. I will bet anything that you guys never merge with them, they wont let it happen. Alot speaks for a company who does not have a union. It is obvious that they dont want it. Open your ears and eyes around flightinfo and the fbos and listen to the talk from them.
 

ce750drvr

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 15, 2004
Posts
115
Total Time
6000
Learjet Pilot said:
I just got to throw in my 2 cents. Do you NJA guys really think that you are going to merge with NJI. Come on get real, these guys want no part of you, nor your union, and I am sure once the TA is ratified evenif it gets ratified they will make some changes to the NJI clause. Why would they want to be unionized with you guys. Do you really think that if they merge a ultra captain is going to be making G pay, I dont think so. At the end of the day that is the only reason you want the 2 companies together is because nji makes better pay and you want a piece of the pie. Dont blame you but, i am sorry you cant compare those twin cessnas and beechjunks to a GIV or GV. The NJI guys may not tell you this but that is the word in all the FBOs.


You can take your 2 cents back. You have no CLUE what you are talking about. The fact that they want no part of NJA is irrelevant. Once it its ratified, it CAN NOT be changed unless it is agreed by both parties. Don't think the union would agree to giving anything up. No, an Ultra captain will not make G pay, that is why there is a pay by catagory where weight and cabin size are the determining factors. At the end of the day, you show just how ignorant to this process you really are. The pilots at NJA really don't care what NJI tells us or doesn't tell us, why would we care what they tell you or anybody else in FBOs? Go do some homework, then we would be happy to take your 2 cents. :cool:
 

cl604driver

ICE MAN
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Posts
99
Total Time
7100
actually twin cessna driver i have done my homework. i have 5 buddies there and this is what they tell me. Take it however you want but what they told me changes are already going to and being made about the NJI clause because being part of your union is acceptable to them. This is what they told me. I dont think 5 different friends of mine would lie to me.
 

ce750drvr

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 15, 2004
Posts
115
Total Time
6000
Learjet Pilot said:
actually twin cessna driver i have done my homework. i have 5 buddies there and this is what they tell me. Take it however you want but what they told me changes are already going to and being made about the NJI clause because being part of your union is acceptable to them. This is what they told me. I dont think 5 different friends of mine would lie to me.

And what is it you fly?? Do you think insulting my airplane in someway insults me?? How old are you again?? Anyway, you said "being part of your union is acceptable to them." Well, which is it? Acceptable or unacceptable? If they are sold or disolved prior to a "merger", who cares. I know I don't. I have my job. Now go play in an intersection or something because you obviously are disgruntled about something and choose to fail at trying to insult me. "YAWN". Grow up dude. Again, we don't care what your buddies or you think.
 
Top