• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NJA upgrade time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I just sent an application to NJA again. I was told by Derinda that my old one was no longer active. I never got an interview or an e-mail from NJA after the first app.

How competitive is it these days to get an interview? Do they frown at 121 guys? I just want out of Aloha and this Chapter 11 dejavu.

Any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated...

...This is why it was important to correct SIC pay in the IBB

Absolutely! It's one of the big reasons my husband worked so hard on behalf of the pilot group during IBB.

Nota, the connection is an indirect one. The point is that the NJA pilots have the contract they do today (with a sustainable FO salary) because of their own efforts and the cooperative spirit with management that benefits all involved. (Personal thanks to you, Nota, if you helped with IBB). The Teamsters gave them no assistance at all, or even recognition for raising the bar in the frac industry. The NJ pilots are fully capable of going it alone. They have the knowledge and motivation (the Teamsters don't) to speak up for the frac industry during political discussions. The pilots will be better served by using that portion of dues currently going to the IBT to promote education of industry issues ignored by the Teamsters. With that being one of NJASAP's objectives, I would think that other NJA employees would support the NJ pilots effort to become an Independent Union. Are the workers in CMH discussing it, and if so, what are they saying about it? Regards, NJW

So NJW, when are they announcing the decertification/recertification vote? Is there a tentative name of the "new" union? ASAP 1108 or the like?

With that being one of NJASAP's objectives, I would think that other NJA employees would support the NJ pilots effort to become an Independent Union. Are the workers in CMH discussing it, and if so, what are they saying about it? Regards, NJW

I've heard very little chatter about the union situation in CMH. Personally I don't really care as long as I don't have to go through implementing another contract every 2 years. I see positives coming from a group called "the union"; the prefix of IBT doesn't mean anything to me. So if they want to change their name, go for it.

Seniority list growth

There are 65 new hires added this year as of the list dated 3/13.

Jan 06: Approx 2300
Jan 07: Approx 2600
Jan 08: Approx 2750

More pilots were hired than would be indicated by the length of the seniority list, but there has been some attrition. In the last two years, it was commonly held that Flight Safety training slots were the obstruction to hiring. Don't know if FSI capacity has changed significantly, or not.

I will be surprised...no, AMAZED if we add 400 pilots this year. Just a guess, but I think Jan 09 might feature a 2950 pilot list. Obviously more than 200 pilots will be hired, but some will be replacements for departing pilots.

Any other prognosticators out there?

So NJW, when are they announcing the decertification/recertification vote? Is there a tentative name of the "new" union? ASAP 1108 or the like?

GSD, Be400 gave you the new name and you can check out their website at njasap.com for lots of detailed information. The National Mediation Board (NMB) will call for a vote after the requisite number (50% plus 1) of cards showing interest have been turned in. The card drive is off to a good start and I'd like to give public thanks to those NJ pilots helping to spread the word...:)

Nota, I can see how it would look like just a name change to the other employees, but there's actually a lot more to it, as njasap.com explains. Additionally, you don't have to be an actual Union member to dislike the stigma attached to the Teamsters name. An independent, in-house union of professional pilots has an image more befitting of the company they represent and the clientèle they fly.

Those obstructing progress and refusing to respond to the membership need to get the black boot.

Well, good luck with that. I can think of at least one reason why getting rid of the Teamsters will be a good idea a couple years from now...;)

I went to work for NetJets in July of 2005....seniority number in the high 1900's.

I plan to hold out for a PIC bid on an APU A/C.

The factors that will effect when I get a bid are 3 things:

1. A/C deliveries

2. How many SIC's ahead of me hold out for an APU A/C

3. How many PIC's on non APU A/C bid over to APU A/C

I ran the numbers based on 60% and 80% of both groups bidding APU A/C.

With known A/C deliveries:

At 60% I'll get a bid on an APU A/C by Sept. 2009

At 80% I'll get a bid on an APU A/C by July 2010

That's right at 5 years for someone that went to work in July 2005. I think someone going to work today should realistically expect anywhere from 6 to 8 years for an upgrade to an APU A/C....maybe even any A/C.

Last edited:

The timing depends on how fast the pilots get the authorization cards sent in.

Latest resources

Back