• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NJA upgrade time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I wish that was true for me too, but I have flown with many XL captains in their 30s and many younger than me. Some pilots will retire in the next 5 years, but with no forced retirements for age, there are a lot of guys who will be staying for a long, long time to rebuild the retirements that were taken from them at the legacies they came from.

My guess is that the aircraft-hopping will continue for a little while as current PIC's react to the new CBA. With the new rules on schedules and the loss of crossover pay in the XL fleet, some people are now switching fleets to gain relative seniority. But as another respondent has stated, the last 2 EP awards went to folks with early-to-mid '05 hire dates (which I think puts them in the mid 1800's).

Of course, another fallout from this PIC fleet-swapping and the new CBA is that SIC's are also doing the same thing. As a result, fewer of the larger cabin aircraft will be going to new-hires.

As for predictions on upgrade, I think someone getting hired today should count on about 5-6 years at a minimum and be thankful if it's less than that.

Guitar Guy brings up an important point - when looking at the upgrades here you can't really look at the hire date, it is more important to look at seniority number. I was hired here in 11/05 but that last award was to a 4/05 hire so logically you would think that it should be about 8 more months for me, however there was massive hiring going on at the time so I still have probably 130 people in front of me. At the rate that real upgrades have been going lately thats going to be a lot more than 8 months I figure. Not saying this to be negative as life here as an SIC definitely doesn't suck but if you are thinking about coming here you need to be aware that the chance of you seeing that fourth stripe anytime soon are slim to none.

How many are we hiring per month? It would take 37 per month to get to that 450. Only 17 per month to top 200. Anybody have some solid numbers?

Probably something in between. From what I'm hearing they have hired around 30 per month so far. Training slots are the bottleneck based on what I've heard. That could get better or worse over the rest of the year. MHO

if you are hired at number 2800... you need there to be 4666 pilots on the property before you make PIC. 2800 if 60% of 4666. You need 1866 pilots to be hired after you,, it will take 5 yrs to hire that many. assuming we don't have a recession that halts hiring a year or so.

This is why it was important to correct SIC pay in the IBB

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back