Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

conquest

NJ,
When the pilots travel, do you have to ware your Co uniforms? And what if the flight is canceled or delayed, how does that effect you?

No, we don't have to wear uniforms when commercially traveling. But we are on duty and could get told to asap to a plane for a trip... so one need to be ready to put in on. If a flight gets canceled while going to work, we just let the company know. If it happens while on the home it could mean overtime or extended pay if they can't get us home in our 14 hour duty day or before midnight.

No, we don't have to wear uniforms when commercially traveling. But we are on duty and could get told to asap to a plane for a trip... so one need to be ready to put in on. If a flight gets canceled while going to work, we just let the company know. If it happens while on the home it could mean overtime or extended pay if they can't get us home in our 14 hour duty day or before midnight.

Could be wrong, but I believe the FOM requires the uniform for travel to work, but for travel home at the end of the tour it is optional. Too lazy to look it up, so take it for what it's worth.

To answer your other question...

And what if the flight is canceled or delayed, how does that effect you?

If we're on our way to a trip, we just notify the company and they work around it. (Maybe send another airplane -- we have crews with airplanes on standby all around the country in case things like that come up.)

If we're on our way home at the end of our tour, we roll with the delay and get home later. If we get in after midnight, we're paid a penalty of two extended-days' pay, which is substantial. (It ranges from $937 for a first-year FO, to $1965 for a tenth-year captain.)

If the delay gets to the point that getting on the flight would put us over 14 hours of duty, we can decline it and get a hotel room for the night, and we'll go out the first available flight the next day. (The after-midnight penalty would still be paid.)

Another question, might have been answered before but what if your airplane is at an airport that has no airline service. How is a crew dispatched to pick up that airplane? Say, Grand Canyon, AZ?

Another question, might have been answered before but what if your airplane is at an airport that has no airline service. How is a crew dispatched to pick up that airplane? Say, Grand Canyon, AZ?

They would usually airline you to the closest airport with airline service then you either get a rental car, cab, or sedan to the airport with no airline service.

Sorry about the incorrect info on wearing the uniform to work. I wear mine to and from work because it's easier then trying to pack, allows me to make sure I didn't forget anything, and it gets me a discount in the terminal. Happy now guys?!?

:beer:

See the movie Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

"People train leaves out of (snort, snort) Stubville."

Latest resources

Back