• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NJA Struggling?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
if we were truly not overstaffed at all. The company keeps trying to tell us we are overstaffed by about 300. I don't believe that number, but I could easily believe 100. .

NJA has been saying they are over staffed by 300 since, oh sometime in 2010..... The number never seems to change... In the much slower 2010 it was 300. When flying started making a comback in 2011 it was still 300.. Now even with around 7% less demand in 2012 than in 2011 it is still 300... On any given day the company can be overstaffed OR understaffed...

The Union seems to think they are pretty smart when it comes to telling what they think the company would do.... yet somehow here we all still are. There hasn't been a second furlough. NJA has made 2 of the largest a/c orders in history, and although the economy has continued to struggle NJA seems to have maintained a status quo.

JH said once that the company is keeping overstaffed to save face and it "only" costs NJA about 2 million a month to appear healthy... Does anyone honestly think NJA would eat 24 million a year just to appear to be healthy??

The way the contract is worded for the 18 day schedule, no more than 10% of those on it can leave it per bid period. If 10% left every bid period, that would have brought the number of pilots on that schedule from a little over 1000 and the time of the furlough to a little under 500 now. This would require a little over 100 more pilots overall to run the schedule if we were truly not overstaffed at all. The company keeps trying to tell us we are overstaffed by about 300. I don't believe that number, but I could easily believe 100. I honestly don't believe a concerted effort by the union to convince all to go to 7&7 would have effected the furlough much, if at all. They still probably wouldn't have needed to recall by now if the effort had been underway even since the voluntary measures program started. I guess it could bring pilots back a few months earlier years from now whenever it is we stop shrinking and eventually need more pilots. I also guess it would show a bit more solidarity and compassion for the 495, but it wouldn't have resulted in any recalls so far.

the solidarity would have been priceless, many feel betrayed and forgotten,NJA was their dream job,and they feel betrayed by their union and the pilot group at large. I'm not saying they were,but that is their perception.

As one of the 495 I do feel a bit like no one remembers me. I hope that changes as I liked that job a lot and wish I was back all the time. I kinda think that I'm the old man telling his kids about the good old days.

Hey brothers. Help us 495 out!

Yes we were dropped by some on the eboard and the president, some forgot that we sink and swim as one. The day will come when we will be back gold tie or not!

i dont know that i will go back, i would rather fly into airports nestled in the Hindu Kush, than fret about "ice,coffee,papers", among other things,but I think what i'm doing now actually suits me better.

I'm in the same boat. I'm high up on the list and would be one of the first back I guess, but a gig somewhere else could be nice. I'm thinking the memory might be better than what is there to come back to.

its a big beautiful world out there,NJA had a golden moment, under RTS it had cachet, and a bit of esprit, now that is all a bit tarnished , if i never return I have a type and some good stories to tell, but my next act has given me the world from Asia,through Europe,and into Africa,in Boeing's biggest and perhaps finest airframe ,feeding the troops, carrying the fire,it is very real.

I'd likely go back long enough to get current on their dime and fly a little more. My attitude toward both company and union has been drastically altered however. I certainly don't trust either and would be executing a whole lot more CYA when it comes to flying the FARs, FOM and contract to the letter.

What's this about the company sending out letters about tipping now?

good on you, always cya, and any letters about tipping reflect the new diminished culture,from first class everything to nickle and diming everything, i hope you get some good word soon Opec,Godspeed you brother.

Latest resources

Back