• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NJA orders 50 Phenom 300s

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bingo-as well, they'll need to actually sell these to current owners, many of whom simply will never buy a new aircraft/share again. Some will, but to convince many of the ultra/bj owners to cough up more jing to fly the same aircraft (it will take quite a few years before they can guarantee these new planes as they enter the fleet) will be difficult at best. Expect a slow decrease in owners and airframes going forward, imo.

You'd need to know how many share Owners are currently on the Ultra to quantify your statement. I have no numbers but I have seen an effort to reduce share Owners over the recent year. Maybe that's why there will be a small number of Ultras remaining after the initial stand down of the fleet.

Only the company knows and I think they are on it.

I doubt that anyone will be forced into anything. Fleets come and go all the time and are addressed in the Owner contracts.

Besides, with that line of thought, why do people buy new Mercedes or Bentlys when you can get it far cheaper in the after market? At least new a/c owners get a new depreciation schedule.

Pervis -- the big difference is that if I buy a new Mercedes I drive a new Mercedes. With a fractional program you rarely ever fly "your jet" you merely buy into flying into the fleet. If I buy a new share of a 2010 Excel (XLS+) today, the bulk of my flying will be in circa 2002-2005 aircraft not 2010 aircraft.

In fact NJA is extending the lives of many older sircraft to keep owners instead of forcing them to buy new shares and/or leave. Where aircraft were to be retired after 10 years (after 2 5 year management contracts), owners at the 10th year anniversary are now being offered 1 or 2 year renewals to stay aboard.

Besides, with that line of thought, why do people buy new Mercedes or Bentlys when you can get it far cheaper in the after market? At least new a/c owners get a new depreciation schedule.

Pervis -- the big difference is that if I buy a new Mercedes I drive a new Mercedes. With a fractional program you rarely ever fly "your jet" you merely buy into flying into the fleet. If I buy a new share of a 2010 Excel (XLS+) today, the bulk of my flying will be in circa 2002-2005 aircraft not 2010 aircraft.

In fact NJA is extending the lives of many older sircraft to keep owners instead of forcing them to buy new shares and/or leave. Where aircraft were to be retired after 10 years (after 2 5 year management contracts), owners at the 10th year anniversary are now being offered 1 or 2 year renewals to stay aboard.

Also, the majority of owners do not depreciate their shares for tax purposes.

Not to mention that they can just cancel the orders like they have done to Hawker and Cessna.

Just my .02 here....

It's not uncommon to see owners take a G4 on a trip that only takes 30 minutes. It would be far cheaper to take something smaller, but some just like to show up in the G. Call it pride or whatever...all I'm saying is that there are some out there with the cash to spend, that just want it the way they want it. They know they're buying into a fleet, but when they get in it they want to be in new. Maybe they like the smell? This is not to say that many if not all are being more aware of how they spend their money, but just that there are still many that see it as an image thing....

We would call that over in the UK "keeping up with the Joneses..."

In other words, Mr Jones next door buys a Huge Limo 500SLKX model. Right, says Mr Smith, his neighbour, I can do better than that - off he goes to the dealership, & drives back a Huge Limo 900SLKXYZ model, & parks it ostentatiously on his driveway....

Same with shiny jets - oh, you came to the Art Fair in a Citawker 690? Darling, we had to use the Falcstream 9x, otherwise we wouldn't be able to get any purchases in the trunk!! ;)

Now to the Phenom 300......

Whilst the "loaded" NetJet specs don't seem to have been published yet, the basic deal seems pretty good, especially for the max altitude (45,000) with low cabin altitude (6,000 ft). For the pax & crew, separate bathroom facility - & external toilet service point! Single point refuelling, rear external baggage access, nice flight deck layout, all looks pretty good. Oh, it seems likely that standard maintenance inspections, etc, are at significantly more flight hrs than the general competition.

Flight test report here.

What do you mean, "For the pax & crew, separate bathroom facility"? I don't think there's room for that in a plane so small. Or am I misreading you?

Latest resources

Back