Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NJA new TA... What will you really make?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BengalsFan

Here is a question I am searching for the right answer to.

Most airline pilots say that if you take their hourly wage and add the 0's, that is roughly what they make yearly (ie $100/hr=$100,000/year)

I have some buddies furloughed at American and they are saying that they are expecting a pretty hefty pay raise once contract negotiations end (they are also expecting to have to strike to get this)...

Anyways, what I am really asking is this:
Will someone hired today make more money at the airlines (southwest and Legacy) or at NetJets?

Also, has anyone run the numbers to figure out what you will retire with if you max out the 401k? Is there good money in that (like American's pension plan... which they are the only ones to still have.)?

I know this is worded horribly, but if you can decifer it, I'd love to hear your answers.

PS... Man the Bengals need some help... Looking forward to the draft already!

Its not just about the money. Quality of life is a very hugh factor, every one has a different opinion of what that might be.

base salary wages if the agreement passes at NJA. FO pay gets a hugh raise, captains pays gets a raise also but a smaller%.

a brief overview for the 7&7 scedule Base salary if it passes

..........FO........ Capt
yr1... 56875.......87500
yr5... 68728.......100408
yr10..81081.......119254
yr14.................136846

the other sceduleds have a higher base pay, but then ask yourself what will my quality of life be, some guys like it though.

Holiday pay, extended days, and hourly overtime will add to all of the numbers

There are a few other things that will happen with the aggrement, such as opening up of baseing to 100 airports for the guys hired after the 2005ta, and other things

Sting

Thank you. I have seen the new payscale, I was just wondering if that number is what you should expect come year end, or how much does extended pay, holiday pay, etc come into play, and how much will that add up too?

I agree, QOL is huge... but I'd have to say that the Southwest guys are pretty happy and so are the FEDEX/UPS guys... basically I have 2 1/2 years to figure out where I want to go when I leave the AF.

I'm leaning towards NetJets for the mere fact that I won't have to commute... but I want to know how much that is going to cost me.

Thanks again

Sting

Thank you. I have seen the new payscale, I was just wondering if that number is what you should expect come year end, or how much does extended pay, holiday pay, etc come into play, and how much will that add up too?

I agree, QOL is huge... but I'd have to say that the Southwest guys are pretty happy and so are the FEDEX/UPS guys... basically I have 2 1/2 years to figure out where I want to go when I leave the AF.

I'm leaning towards NetJets for the mere fact that I won't have to commute... but I want to know how much that is going to cost me.

Thanks again

I think you are looking for something like how much OT and etc you can expect. Well it depends on what fleet you are in. Get in the 400 and get very little OT get in the X and get a lot.

I personally am at around 15% over base salary with OT, holiday, etc.

In the long run you will make more at Fedex, UPS, Southwest and maybe American.

Sting

Thanks again

You'll have to give up thousands in crashpad/hotel costs over the years for NOT having to miss your nonrev flight home.

You'll definitely lose some future gray hair that you would grow if you were trying to commute regularly on that XYZ-PDQ route to and from work. I can always tell who that nonrev is (poor guy) when I'm in the boarding area. It's the nervous guy looking at each and every pax in the gate area trying to determine how many people are actually in the boarding area compared to how many seats are on the flight... asking himself "is THAT guy a pilot over there?? How about THAT ONE!!!?" Blood pressure is sky high.

You'll lose the ability to curse the health care system with 100% company-paid benefits (heath/dental/vision).

There's more but you get the point...

Many of the jobs out there with a higher W2 seem to have a catch these days.

Good luck.

The union says you can expect 10 to 15 percent above your base without trying. Overall a pilot would probably make more money and have more days off (when senior enough) if they get on with a major that lives for the length of their career. That is the big if. The better schedule at the majors definitely takes time to get, but is there if you are patient. The money at the majors now is better at the top and the pay will probably be bumping up again in the next few years for most of the majors. From a pure pay stand point they are a better place to go. The fractionals are a different lifestyle and job. NJA will have 100 crew bases that the pilots get to chose from (no bidding a base and no commuting if you live in one of the 100). The no commuting thing and instantly being able to have a pretty good schedule are two things that NJA have over the majors.

You'll definitely lose some future gray hair that you would grow if you were trying to commute regularly on that XYZ-PDQ route to and from work. I can always tell who that nonrev is (poor guy) when I'm in the boarding area. It's the nervous guy looking at each and every pax in the gate area trying to determine how many people are actually in the boarding area compared to how many seats are on the flight... asking himself "is THAT guy a pilot over there?? How about THAT ONE!!!?" Blood pressure is sky high.

so THATS why I went bald!!!

I don't miss that AT ALL! One of the greatest feelings in my flying career was my first IOE tour at NetJets, flying to work out of my home airport with a positive-space ticket in my hand. Sad but true.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back