NJA Meteorology

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

NJAowner

Has NJA cuts its meteorology dept? The day before I was flying recently, I was told if I wanted to speak to meteorology I needed to do so before 10 p.m. This was the first time ever I have ever been given a time parameter. In distinguishing itself from competitors NJA has always stressed that it has its own 24 hour meteorology department and does not rely upon third party services.

If this is true, what do the pilots think of it? I am sure the midnight shift was not all that busy, but I guess it was used by some.

Thanks.

NJA On board items

I am trying to figure out whether it is a trend, coincidence, or my imagination. But have on-board stocks been cut back?? I notice less of everything from movies to tylenol to playing cards on all of my flights in the past few months. If so it must save a dollar or two per flight-- maybe even $5.00 -- , but now I have only 2 movies (none recent) to choose from and have to remember to bring cards if I want to play card games with my kids in flight.

I would say "fly safe" at the end of this email, but a few of you read way too much into it.

I am trying to figure out whether it is a trend, coincidence, or my imagination. But have on-board stocks been cut back?? I notice less of everything from movies to tylenol to playing cards on all of my flights in the past few months. If so it must save a dollar or two per flight-- maybe even $5.00 -- , but now I have only 2 movies (none recent) to choose from and have to remember to bring cards if I want to play card games with my kids in flight.

I would say "fly safe" at the end of this email, but a few of you read way too much into it.

I know they have trimmed the stock, however, in my fleet there certainly is enough stock for each leg. Tylenol and all. We still have a cabinet full of movies and all the NUGO bars you can eat. There are items we used to stock that now need to be ordered w/catering. (They are happy to do this.)
I suggest that you relay your concerns to OS and have your specific needs noted on your profile. Even if it is something as small as Tylenol, most of us will see it and be sure it is onboard for your trip.
I/we appreciate your support as we go forward here @ NJA.

At one point, as an example, our Falcons had over 3000 stock items on board. Stuff that would rarely be used. We have reduced the number of items, but kept the items that are popular, like pringles, pretzels, nuts, Fiji water, etc. If your jet is not stocked, I would bring it up to your crew and OS team. If you have specific preferences, like movie or music genre, set your profile.

As far as wx personnel, They are indeed staffed 24/7. I can attest to that as demand has steadily increased and I have been "blessed" with late and long shifts of late. Again, call your OS team, and if they aren't helpful, ask for their superior.

Cutting back on playing cards saves nadda. I would rather believe you have run into a few instances where jets have not been able to visit our stock lockers.

Weather

So ... you need to call Netjets to figure out what the weather's doing?

Yes Dooker - I doc all. When I am 1000 miles away from my destination and bad weather is expected there, I like to look at my alternatives -- change city, change flight times, etc. I like to have something a little more reliable than accuweather.com.

So ... you need to call Netjets to figure out what the weather's doing?

Yes Dooker - I doc all. When I am 1000 miles away from my destination and bad weather is expected there, I like to look at my alternatives -- change city, change flight times, etc. I like to have something a little more reliable than accuweather.com.

You actually have to call in for that?

What I am asking is if you don't call in and there is bad weather forecasted, they wont automatically look at alternatives? I'm not trying to be a smart A$$, I'm just surprised that its not automatic?

NJAowner,

If a meterologist isn't available, ask if they can connect you to a dispatcher. When I call in with a weather concern, I usually have a conference call with the 3 of us. NJA dispatch has never let me down.

Latest resources

Back