NJA KASE apporach question...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Buddro

My buddy got asked a varitey of questions on the following below I was curious what would be correct.

Here is a link to the approach plates in KASE:

http://www.airnav.com/depart?http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0603/05889VDGC.PDF
http://www.airnav.com/depart?http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0603/05889LDE.PDF

OK here is the scenario: You are flying into KASE on the LOC or VOR approaches. We are a category D aircraft. The approach minimums for both approaches are clearly depicted as N/A for a Category D aircraft. Can you even shoot these approaches in IFR conditions? What about VFR? If so what would the approach minimums be? These are the only 2 approaches in KASE that are IFR approaches. I know alot of corporate airplanes that are cat D aircraft fly into KASE, how do they legally get in during IFR conditions? I know it is not a VFR only airport. If you can get in VFR do you start the approach IFR even though it is illegal because CAT D is NA?

I need some help.

Thanks.

Both approaches orient you straight towards the runway, but both have circling minima only. The reason for this is descent rate required from the MAP to the runway is in excess of TERPS criteria for straight in approches (I don't recall the exact gradient). If you are a Category D aircraft, or your operations requires that you operate Category D for circling approaches, you cannot legally accept an approach clearance for either instrument approach - even if the airport is reporting basic VFR.

I fly a Category C certified aircraft, but we operate Category D for circling approaches. If I can't see the runway from over DBL at 14000', it's on to plan B -usually RIL, sometimes EGE.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Haven't been there, but if the wx is VMC, there is nothing to prevent you from either cancelling your IFR clearance and proceeding VFR, or maintaining your IFR clearance and asking for the visual, which is not an IFR approach, but visual manuver conducted under an IFR clearance. My 2c.

Last edited:
Your approach catagory is based on ref at your current weight. Since it is a circle approach at ASE ( all approaches at aspen are circling), Some aircraft have to use different configurations according to their AFM. If your ref in that configuation is greater than Cat C approach speeds then you cannot accept the approach.

You may not accept the approach imc or vmc if you are not at catagory c or less. If you have a visual you must get a clearance for a visual approach.

Last edited:
ProFracPilot said:
I fly a Category C certified aircraft, but we operate Category D for circling approaches. If I can't see the runway from over DBL at 14000', it's on to plan B -usually RIL, sometimes EGE.

+1

(me too)

Bandit60 said:
Your approach catagory is based on ref at your current weight. Since it is a circle approach at ASE ( all approaches at aspen are circling), Some aircraft have to use different configurations according to their AFM. If your ref in that configuation is greater than Cat C approach speeds then you cannot accept the approach.

You may not accept the approach imc or vmc if you are not at catagory c or less. If you have a visual you must get a clearance for a visual approach.

Your approach category is either the speed at your max landing weight or the speed you are using for the approach, whichever is HIGHER. If your max landing weight speed exceeds 140 kts, then you are a Cat D for every approach you fly. If you are a Cat B but decide to fly the approach at 138 knots, then you are a Cat C for that approach.
Also, the LOC DME 15 (Jeppesen 11-7) and RNAV GPS Z (Jeppesen 18-7) both publish minimums for straight in landings. Both of those approaches are also N/A for Cat D aircraft.

Guys, the Cat D or C or whatever is based on GROUNDSPEED. It has nothing to do with Ref. So if you're light and your TAS is low, you can be another CAT. If you're up in the mountains and your TAS is high due to the elevation, your CAT could be CAT E. It just depends. But, yes, you CANNOT shoot an instrument approach, nor can you accept an instrument clearance if you can't meet the vis for your CAT. Hope it helps.....

Sorry guys, this straight from the AIM (PCG):

AIRCRAFT APPROACH CATEGORY- A grouping of aircraft based on a speed of 1.3 times the stall speed in the landing configuration at maximum gross landing weight. An aircraft must fit in only one category. If it is necessary to maneuver at speeds in excess of the upper limit of a speed range for a category, the minimums for the category for that speed must be used. For example, an aircraft which falls in Category A, but is circling to land at a speed in excess of 91 knots, must use the approach Category B minimums when circling to land. The categories are as follows:
a. Category A- Speed less than 91 knots.
b. Category B- Speed 91 knots or more but less than 121 knots.
c. Category C- Speed 121 knots or more but less than 141 knots.
d. Category D- Speed 141 knots or more but less than 166 knots.
e. Category E- Speed 166 knots or more.
(Refer to 14 CFR Part 97.)​

Last edited:
Also, wrt visual approaches:

5-4-22. Visual Approach
a. A visual approach is conducted on an IFR flight plan and authorizes a pilot to proceed visually and clear of clouds to the airport. The pilot must have either the airport or the preceding identified aircraft in sight. This approach must be authorized and controlled by the appropriate air traffic control facility. Reported weather at the airport must have a ceiling at or above 1,000 feet and visibility 3 miles or greater. ATC may authorize this type approach when it will be operationally beneficial. Visual approaches are an IFR procedure conducted under IFR in visual meteorological conditions. Cloud clearance requirements of 14 CFR Section 91.155 are not applicable, unless required by operation specifications.​

VVJM265 said:
Sorry guys, this straight from the AIM (PCG):

AIRCRAFT APPROACH CATEGORY- A grouping of aircraft based on a speed of 1.3 times the stall speed in the landing configuration at maximum gross landing weight. An aircraft must fit in only one category. If it is necessary to maneuver at speeds in excess of the upper limit of a speed range for a category, the minimums for the category for that speed must be used. For example, an aircraft which falls in Category A, but is circling to land at a speed in excess of 91 knots, must use the approach Category B minimums when circling to land. The categories are as follows:
a. Category A- Speed less than 91 knots.
b. Category B- Speed 91 knots or more but less than 121 knots.
c. Category C- Speed 121 knots or more but less than 141 knots.
d. Category D- Speed 141 knots or more but less than 166 knots.
e. Category E- Speed 166 knots or more.

(Refer to 14 CFR Part 97.)​

These have absolutely nothing to do with the two mentioned approaches as this is for straight in minima. Both approaches list circling minimums only and circling mins are based off of the actual speed the a/c is flown.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back